orthostatics

donedeal

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if this doesn't apply to you then why are you so defensive?

Me thinks thou doth protesteth too much.

If you're as good as you seem to want others to believe, then grow a sack of self-esteem and don't take everything so personal when it was quite obviously not even meant to apply to you.

To DUST; Man you are so tolerant of idiots, but we can all learn from this tempered experienced attitude, you are fighting to care for those injured "hero's" dedicated to stop terrorism at a great cost personally, kudos.

To REMT-Basic...a word of caution here....you mess foolishly with some who lives in a "Mobile Home" and you mess with the Whole Trailer Park.....apology is in order "STAT" to raise your status to one of respect! oh yes can you take a BP when small arms fire is aimed at you and some ass #@#$%@, has shouldered an RPG at your ass! I thought not!

TRY AGAIN PLEASE!

Late entry: When REMT-Basic has earned the respect of our very experianced practioners in this "ART of Pre Hospital Care" as Rid and Dust have with over 4000 insightful (bilaterally) and positive posts to boot, your input you may be respected, as for now don't bring a knife to a gunfight, put your super shears in your pocket your cutting yourself!

That is ALL.....waiting!

First of all..I dont owe anyone an apology. I dont automatically respect someone because they wear a uniform or get shot at. And as for copious postings, I am not to blame that some folks have nothing better to do than post thousands of times, often just to insult others. Dust...I do apologize if your ego was bruised.

"If we live our lives continually motivated by anger and hatred, even our physical health deteriorates."

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Now those are words of wisdom and experiance. :!:

One looses all credibility when you state an odd number using a manual cuff. Simple enough, the numbers as you described are in even numbers, the same as a pulse rate, should be given in even numbers as well. Ths is basic medical procedures, and part of the general medical terminology and documentation procedures. I doubt one could actually as you even describe see or hear in-between numbers.

R/r 911

I understand where youre coming from, I'm just saying that it is probably just as incorrect to assume that your alcutated blood pressure is accurate within +-2mmHg as it is to say "I heard the first thump when the needle was about halfway between 120 and 130." Lets not kid ourselves. Theres plenty of fudge room and variablity in blood pressure measurement-- who is to say that a reading of 124 is correct while a reading of 125 is not. Just because there isnt a tick between two slashes on the gauge doesnt mean that that isnt where the first thump was heard. How is it more accurate to round up or round down in these cases? In between 124 and 126 will always be 125... As long as someone knows how to count, I dont see how this could be a problem.

There are better way to judge peoples credibility... all I'm sayin...

It's called "splitting the difference," and I do it all the time.

When doing a dipstick urinalysis, it seems that most every urine I test has a pH that is just less than 6.0, but just greater than 5.0. I chart those as 5.5 because, as in the blood pressure scenario, it is more accurate than choosing the next full step.

But yes... there is still a lot of old-school distrust of odd numbers in vital signs. And you will certainly get some eye-rolling over them, especially when they know you took a manual reading. That is quickly fading though as NiBPs become an ubiquitous standard.

• 3 months later...
Since AZCEP had already posted the information I was asking for, I decided not to post anything more, but I just in case anyone'd like to know:

Please note that the official word is ORTHOSTASIS. "Orthostatics" was the cause of all my confusion and crap information because it is the incorrect grammatical form of orthostatic hypertension, and a google search using "orthostatics" will give you absolutely no good information. The correct form is ORTHOSTASIS, or and I have yet to see anyone say that. Even in my class when it was briefly mentioned by my teacher she said "orthostatics".

ORTHOSTASIS.

and again I apologize for all my crap in this thread.

Happy googling.

Your teacher was 100% right. the correct word is "ORTHOSTATIC"

>>>>>>>... Page 1180 of Tabers Cycolpedic Medical Dictionary Copyright 1985

Defines Orthostatic as "straight, causing to stand or concerning an erect postion"

It defines Orthostatic Hypotension as "Postural Hypotension"

as for Orthostasis.............the word is not listed.... so just because Google doesnt have a word,,,, doesnt mean it is wrong

That is quickly fading though as NiBPs become an ubiquitous standard.

And + 5 for using ubiquitous in a sentence. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.