orthostatics

donedeal

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since AZCEP had already posted the information I was asking for, I decided not to post anything more, but I just in case anyone'd like to know:

Please note that the official word is ORTHOSTASIS. "Orthostatics" was the cause of all my confusion and crap information because it is the incorrect grammatical form of orthostatic hypertension, and a google search using "orthostatics" will give you absolutely no good information. The correct form is ORTHOSTASIS, or and I have yet to see anyone say that. Even in my class when it was briefly mentioned by my teacher she said "orthostatics".

ORTHOSTASIS.

and again I apologize for all my crap in this thread.

Happy googling.

Not finding a word in your dictionary is not necessarily a sign that it is incorrect. Unlike general grammar, medical terminology is not finite. Probably more than half of the med term we utilise is not in the dictionary simply because they are compound words. The roots and suffixes of the words are listed, but the whole word is not. Orthostatics may not be listed in your dictionary, but then again, neither is dogs. Is dogs not a word? Of course it is a word. And so is orthostatics. And orthostatics and orthostasis are two different things.

Funny that...I have a copy of the OED here and dogs is listed as plural of dog...huh.

So are you disputing my point, or are you just stalking me around the board to harrass me as usual?

One might want to explore more than the term when looking up and researching a procedure and physiological response. The term is orthostatic.. NOT orthostasis. Please, when addressing a physician on discussing, one might want to pronounce and discuss it properly, than to look very foolish.

R/r 911

and please don't give me odd number readings when performing a manual B/P.. it does remove all creditiblity.

I dont really undrestand this attitude with blood pressures. I understand that the sphygmamonometer (yeah I used the big word haha) is usually demarkated with ticks at every 2 mmHg, but arent we going a little far when we think BPs measured with a cuff + scope are actually accurate to the point of +- 2 mmHg? True blood pressures are measured by wedge pressures, swan catheters and A-lines, not indirect tamponade and korotkoff sounds. What we hear with our scopes are, and will always be, approximations of the blood pressure. Therefore, if I hear the first thump when the needle is halfway-ish between 120 and 130mmHg, why not call the systolic 125? Not that 1-2mmHg is gonna make one bit of difference for treatment anyways.

One looses all credibility when you state an odd number using a manual cuff. Simple enough, the numbers as you described are in even numbers, the same as a pulse rate, should be given in even numbers as well. Ths is basic medical procedures, and part of the general medical terminology and documentation procedures. I doubt one could actually as you even describe see or hear in-between numbers.

R/r 911

...the numbers as you described are in even numbers, the same as a pulse rate, should be given in even numbers as well.

I'm afraid I'll have to dispute that one. It is extremely rare that my pulse counts come out to an even number. Only if you take it for 15 or 30 seconds does it work out that way. I usually take it for 20 seconds, which will commonly work out to an odd number. And if it is irregular, I take it for a full minute, again commonly resulting in an odd number.

I dont really undrestand this attitude with blood pressures. I understand that the sphygmamonometer (yeah I used the big word haha) is usually demarkated with ticks at every 2 mmHg, but arent we going a little far when we think BPs measured with a cuff + scope are actually accurate to the point of +- 2 mmHg? True blood pressures are measured by wedge pressures, swan catheters and A-lines, not indirect tamponade and korotkoff sounds. What we hear with our scopes are, and will always be, approximations of the blood pressure. Therefore, if I hear the first thump when the needle is halfway-ish between 120 and 130mmHg, why not call the systolic 125? Not that 1-2mmHg is gonna make one bit of difference for treatment anyways.

Yea the best part is that it screws up nurses...OMG Im going to pay for that one!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.