Medical terminology game

future medic 48_234

Angio is only [s:7fb97571c0]an abbrviation and[/s:7fb97571c0] a prefix...

Correct, angio- is a prefix used in many medical terms

...when combined with something like gram or plasty or cathether it becomes medical terminology.

Correct, it becomes a very specific medical term with the use of root words and suffixes.

I spent a year taking med terminology. I think emts should have at least a few weeks of it.

Good for you and I agree. And because of your extra effort on the subject I'm sure you TOO can appreciate the importance and value of understanding the meanings of root words, prefixes and suffixes over just memorizing terms as they come or are used. Thereby making it entirely appropriate to use such 'words' as part of this 'game'.

On that note:

Angio- (or angi-): if I understand my terminology correctly, angio- (as a prefix) refers to lymph and blood vessels

To back me up with a little research: it is new Latin, from Greek angeio- which means blood vessel and vessel.

Now for my turn (again)

molluscum

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok you got me.....My lysdexia and typos do not have auto correct and I am too lazy to spell check....lol

However, for the record I was quoting the spelling from my brain cause I am familiar with the term and disease, I didnt have to google to know what it is or how to spell it....lol

Google asks, Did you mean: molluscum contagiosum?

(My father had a medical-student friend who would treat himself out of the textbook. He was teased that his autopsy would list Cause of Death: typographical error.)

Term called for Molluscum Contagiosum;

A rash composed of small dome-shaped papules with a central crater that is said to be unbilicated, (belly button shaped.) Cheesy (caseous) material fills the dimple's core. A pox virus causes the rash which can spread among children and young adults.

>PER Tabers Dictionary, Pages 1376 - 1377 Click and scroll to see book

I love this book we are using in class!

http://www.fadavis.com/tabers/index.cfm

Chilomastix mesnili

Not sure if I am following the correct game rules here, but here is one:

Liesen's Encephalopathy---

I didnt Taber that one before I spelled it so you may have to be creative in thinking, however the hint is that the first wored is the name of the Doc who discovered it. Also it is a congential condition.

Do you mean "lissencephalous" by any chance? I've heard of several different types of encephalopathy, but not that particular one. Lissencephalous is a congenital defect effecting the cerebral gyri of the brain. Basically the folds within the brain fail to develop properly. Conditions such as muscular dystrophy are generally a result.

If that's what you meant, it would be my turn. So...

exencephalia

So terribly easy if you break it down.

Thanks for catching that...that is what i meant and realized that i had spelled it incorrectly only after posting it.

Heres my next one: What is a the Dolls Eye response?

Got to do what EMS49393 posted. . . exencephalia.

Exencephalia: A congenital anomally in which the brain is located outside the skull.

( cool but freaky to see. )

Micheal, You're right. you asked me: Did you mean umbilicated? Yes I did.

the word Unbilicated is not listed in my book.

Liesen's Encephalopathy--- I looked only at Encephalopathy.

Generalized, not loacalized brain dysfunction.

Lets' back up a bit. . . My other word went unanswered. Lets' keep up the responses! :wink:

Chilomastix mesnili

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.