Reasearch/Monitor Help Please!!

Medic26

OK peoples I have searched for hours on the net and this site, I am at a loss here and am looking for some help. My service currently has 4 different types of cardiac monitors in service, I hope to persuade them to eliminate or move towards elimination of all different types in hopes of standardization. We currently have 8 ALS units with a mixture of Zoll M's, LP11, LP10 and even a LP5 still inservice as a last due unit and an additional as a reserve. Our eventual goal (a few of the senior staff) is to standardize in accordance with our 2 - Zoll M monitors that are fully equiped with pacing, 12-lead, NIBP, SPO2 and capnography. These monitors have worked great for us since we got rid of the LP12 that failed 3 times on us a few years ago. So my dilema is I cannot find enough research and studies that support the added cost, but I know it exists somewhere.

So I am asking your help in finding research and data to support our goal and anyone who has info on LP5 lawsuits and failures or sub-standard information regarding the LP5 would be great too. I know we can convince them with the right sales pitch.

PLEASE HELP

Start by asking them if it was their family member in Cardiac arrest, would they trust a 10 plus year old piece of equipment to save their life.

Next point ask if the manufacturer is still providing tech support and certifications of these obsolete units.[ Think liability if it fails to work properly when needed ]. Are the units annual certification records current ? We have shelved a LP 300 & several LP5's years ago. I could see keeping a LP10 around as a spare maybe , but the STANDARD of care is bi-phasic waveform defibrillators. [ again think liability]

Next point " standardizing equipment throughout the fleet makes the chance of mistakes smaller, training easier and consumables [pads , batteries] will be easier to maintain inventory, Sure the ole LP 5 still turns on and you can do cool things with the thermal printer, BUT this is 2006

I find it hard to believe that there is the perceived superiority of Lifepak vs Zoll monitors. The 12 is a top heavy overpriced unit while the Zoll is designed for in the field use at a lower cost with greater reliability. Fire away all you LP groupies! :):D:D

I used to be a hard core LP12 fan.

Then I used the Zoll M series.

I now despise the LP12. I would much rather work with the Zoll M.

But, listen to Rid's advice. There are many many threads dealing with monitors already here. A good search will yield you quite a bit of info.

Good luck.

-be safe.

Thanks for the information......as far as standardization, it IS our goal.

Another point here, I have used both the LP12 and Zoll M's equally. They both have great features, but LP12 is not an option for us due to the fact that our old LP12 failed 3 times to deliver therapy in less than 2 years. It was traded in on our current Zoll's and NOBODy here will consider them agian. :wink:

Mike : I'm with you on this . We used Physio defibs for many years starting with a 5 and a lp300 on up to the 12. Of them all i think the LP 10 was the best of the bunch in overall ruggedness and ease of use.

Then we discovered the M -Series . with the rugged case & all the options , it's taken a beating in all types of environments from snow + ice to rides on the ocean & never skipped a beat. Even able to use it on an hour ride on a diesel lobster boat with out too much artifact.

I find it hard to believe that there is the perceived superiority of Lifepak vs Zoll monitors. The 12 is a top heavy overpriced unit while the Zoll is designed for in the field use at a lower cost with greater reliability. Fire away all you LP groupies! :D:D:D

Here in LV, AMR and all Fire (LVFR, CCFD, NLVDFD) all use LP12's. We use Phillips and I couldn't be happier with them. I've used LP12 in the past and I don't mind them, I just find Phillips much more user friendly. Some cool features of them are 12-Lead On-Screen views, AED function as well as Biphasic Defib, continuous end-tidal CO2 monitoring, as well as the standard NIBP and SpO2, and a relief that those of you who use LP 12 will know- in a 12 hour shift of continuous use, we don't even use up an entire battery. It truly is a relief to never hear the "Low Battery" announcement! We have adapters for our defib/pacing as well so that if Fire starts treatment and want to switch to our equipment its simply a matter of snapping on an adapter between the male and female connections. Phillips also does regular maintenance and have taught our supply techs how to service them. We have adapters that connect to the defib cord that test the output which we test every night. The only issue I would say I have is that when someone's pressure is under 90-100, the NIBP tends to be more inaccurate than accurate. But thats what manual BPs are for! I definitely think they are worth the $36,000 investment. Our company believes so too as we currently have over 30 monitors in service!

Word. They all suck compared to the Philips. No comparison.

Too many idiots buy LP defibs simply because that's what they've always used. I'd love to accidently break the one I have. Some of the clinics out here have Zolls, and I think one or two actually have Philips. Unfortunately, all replacement units will be Lifepak because the powers that be have no imagination. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.