co-workers with suicidal thoughts

This is really strange I was at the door knocking and no one heard me, so I left thinking I'm crazy.

I tried many doors asking for help but people just ignored me. What do I have to do to get people to

listen, must I slit my wrists, so the blood pores from it for them to notice that I'm serious?

There are many days I suffer at the hands of the world, people criticizing others because they made a mistake.

I dont want to die but my thoughts tell me otherwise. I hear voices telling me to go for it yet I run away in fear.

I feel helpless, alone in this thought provoking pain, that I thought the only way to end it all was to take my life in vain.

Sometimes I wish I could forget what has happened but it seems that the anxiety keeps popping up again.

I tried to reach out to you today but you were busy so I just went away.

I know your my partner, we help people who go through this same scenario, to tell them that we care but it's just talk and we go back as if nothing happened.

But when someone we know-leads a quiet life, takes his and doesnt tell a soul, I hope to God that we can catch it before it really happens, so we dont have to attend to a death and comfort those with disbelieveing, that the person who died today is still living because we saved his life by being there for them when they needed us so. wtm

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I write poetry and to stand in this persons shoes and understand how hard it is to ask for help or the signs of it was there.

I was once there along time ago and this was what I felt, the rest I added with the partner thing and so forth.

As for what your saying, no I'm not contemplating anything, I was writing how I saw it.

Did you ever want to end it all, would understand how this person is searching the end all.

It was just a poem, thats all, nothing else, ok?

Now I don't know about anyone else's state, but I know in Tennessee we have a legal obligation as licensed healthcare professionals to report threats of suicide immediately to appropriate authority. I will tell you this. I had a friend in Oregon who told me that she had taken a large amount of pills (this was about 5 years ago) and I called 911 here and they transferred my call. I found out later that I had saved her life and she thanked me for this in person recently. Would I have done different if she told me she was thinking about it? I may have referred her to a crisis hotline, but in the end you have to follow your gut. If you think that there is any possibility of an attempt, call LE. If not, refer them to your supervisor or a crisis hotline. Your friend may be ticked off at you, but I'd rather have a pissed off friend than a dead one. Just a thought.

The original poster has been extremely busy with work/family/etc. and hasn't had a chance to post, but we all used to work together and I also know his partner. Although his partner hadn't actually tried to do anything, he was feeling worse and worse about things and has been admitted to an inpatient program at a local stress center. The last I heard, he was feeling as if he was making some progress at working out some of his issues and is getting some help that he really needed. Just thought I would update for anyone that was interested.

Not only do you have an ethical and moral obligation, you have an legal one as well. The person describes endangerment to themselves, and possibly others is grounds for evaluation.....period.

I first would be blunt with this person and ask them point out if they have a plan, and how much they thought about it. Ask them if they have seen a counselor or treatment? I would inform them, they realize this has to be treated immediately ( apparently they are in health care as well) and for them to seek treatment now!.. otherwise, you will have to report it. This does allow them to seek immediate treatment on their own cognizance, if they do not I would report as others described, even if this involved LEO, and filling out 3'rd party statements. This is not to be mean, but to save their life. Depression, anxiety etc.. is a true disease that affects a large portion of EMS providers, and as others has stated this might be a preventive measure.

Remember, they are telling you because they are crying out for help!......so help them.

R/r 911

Remind me never to tell you anything if I need help.

Myself and another friend, (his old partner) talked to him and called his counsler and he finally checked into (or was actually taken in by the sheriffs department in handcuffs) a Inpatiend Mental Health hospital for a week and he got some good help. he is feeling better and talking to his counsler more than he was. He is on 2 different depression meds now, and he also agreed to talk to his counsler or 1 of 10 people that knows what is going on; before he ever does any thing stupid again. he also has never had any desire to physically hurt anyone else.

thanks for all of the inputs, I printed them off and gave them to him to read.

Remind me never to tell you anything if I need help.

I am really glad, that he received the help he needed, hopefully he is on the road to recovery. Hammerpcp, I assume you were joking. :D . The reason I made such statement(s), is it hit home . Several years ago, I had worked part time at a service, that had a very similar case and being the "staunch" medics they thought "he could tough it out", his crew and partners ignored the repeated cries for help... Thinking, he could take care of it on his own, and really it was none of their business... and never taking or truly listening to what was really said.

This story, however; did not end in a happy ending as the original poster. He went home after his 24 hr shift and called 911, then blew his brains out with a 357 magnum.. unfortunately this affected not only the medics on duty, but the whole service as well. Some good medics left this profession and many others had to seek counseling for themselves.. Yes, there are times one cannot prevent anyone's action and then there are times they are crying out for help... be it medics or your patient. It is our job to listen and acknowledge these cries, albeit your patient or partner, be a true friend and care giver, be sure they get the right help. I much rather loose a friendship and have them alive, then loose them permanently

Again, glad you were there for them, being concern and a friend, hopefully, their future will be great.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.