basic questions about qualifications

rush99

Can you also work youth sporting tournaments and events with an EMT-B?

You need to clarify what you mean by "work." This is a very sticky area with lots of shades of grey. There is no yes-or-no answer.

For instance, if you are employed by an ambulance company who contracts with the sports association/school district/whatever to provide coverage, then yes, there is no problem with you providing that service within the limitations put in place by your Medical Director. Although, I would argue that EMT-Bs haven't sufficient education or training to do so by themselves. Except for the training of physically packaging the patient and dragging him off the field, you simply are not educated to sufficiently evaluate these patients, or even to treat the majority of the injuries they sustain. That is why athletic training is a profession all of its own.

If you are not employed, you have no business providing any service whatsoever to anybody, beyond very basic ABC, bystander first aid, and especially not for money. No Medical Director = No work, volunteer or otherwise.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rush, I am generally very supportive of students. However, unless I'm reading your initial posts wrong, the spirit of where you are coming from SCARES me. You must realize that this field involves a whole lot more than just "helping people". First and foremost, any responder on scene or in a truck is responsible for the safety of everyone else - yourself, your partners, patients, bystanders, etc. Until you've been in potentially dangerous situations, you can't possibly know what this really means. Nothing personal, but I don't really want to trust my life or my partners to someone who is doing this as a part-time gig to get through college.

As for helping people, you must also realize that even at BLS level care, it is possible to further injure or even kill someone. The scenarios where this can happen are so numerous I won't even illustrate. Competence in operations and skill in care/assessment comes through experience. Schooling is only the beginning, and it is unlikely that sufficient experience would be gained part-time while concentrating on college class load.

PLEASE, re-evaluate motivation for the desire to get into EMS. I would never discourage anyone from this field who seems truly commited to becoming a good responder. But "Ricky Rescues" who want to indulge adrenaline rushes, or get off on lights and sirens, or fantasize about glory become liabilities to us all. I don't mean to sound negative or judgemental, but please realize the level of responsibilty involved, and potential consequences of every decision. I do wish you well, and hope that you make the right decisions.

I recognize the reason I don't spend much time here anymore. Too many people want to poke people with sharp sticks that asks simple questions. I think it's admirable that anyone wants to do anything "extra" in order to help his fellow human beings. I'm not near the internet interpretor that some apparently are, but I took the questions as honest (probably not overly informed, admittedly) and not meaning to trivialize this profession. Excuse me if I didn't read it correctly because I'm obviously not on the level that some of you all knowing wizards are. While on the subject of knowing everything there is to know about everything, I can easily see why some of you can't get along with fire departments....you can't get along with anyone.

Ah, okay. Well, you were correct about that. That is indeed how it works in systems that suck enough to have a lower trained member on the crew. But, unfortunately for you, even those systems still require that lower trained member to at least be an EMT, which is a few months of training.

Generally, we try not to entertain the fleeting fantasies of tourists who aren't serious about making this profession a career. It is a profession, not a part-time hobby until you decide what you want to do when you grow up. Please, either choose it or leave it. We don't need anymore tourists.

I'm sorry for the following rant, but I've held my tounge long enough. Where do you get off thinking your shit don't stink? I'm sick of seeing nearly every single post you make bashing anyone who is not of a paramedic level. As for your comment about systems that suck enough to only have lower trained members I take that as an insult personally to my City and everyone in Basic class preparing to take their nationals in the next couple weeks. While I agree to an extent that Basics education should be extended and upgraded, I don't go around bashing every single person who is in the process or has obtained an -B level. As in every profession in the freaking world there is poor training and people who slip through the cracks. You automatically assume that everyone who is starting out is going into it for the wrong reasons or doesnt know what they are doing.

The person who made the topic put up a valid question for someone who does not understand the EMS system. Before I ever really started researching what I needed to do to get into this career I had the same dumb questions. I didn't understand exactly how things worked, all I knew is from watching TV programs. I learned soon enough that I wanted to go through the basic to become a paramedic eventually. Again due to not knowing everything about the system even before I started I wanted to be a flight medic. I again looked around and saw that to be a flight medic it's recommended to also be an RN and have experience in both fields. So I applied to nursing school. Now I'm finishing up my Basic tests in a couple weeks and have been accepted to one of the best nursing schools in my area. Without the knowledge of how things work and what needed to be done I had the same questions rush is posing.

I kinda got off track, but why don't you take a minute, take a bottle of chill pill, and calm the f down. Everyone should be entitled to experience a career before they choose that career. Sometimes it's just a bit harder to get into and experience.

Kansas Stan, Dominion300,

I think you both misunderstand the reason many of the rest of us DO come to this board.

And that IS to be judged.

I took several beating when I first came here. Because people took the time to show me that I was presenting myself as ignorant, uneducated and naive. Many boards are willing to be my personal "cheerleaders", and tell me how awesome I am for "trying". It is not my goal to try...it is my goal to succeed.

If you can't read between the lines and see that Dustdevil and others took the time to tell you the truth then I'd be willing to bet you spend way to much time on "rah rah" sites....not much "rah rah" here.

I will take one "Good question" from one of the experienced guys or gals here over all the "You might not spell good but we love you anyway's" (incorrect punctuation intended) in the world. One helps me grow...the other encourages me to fail.

I'm sorry you all got your feelings hurt....but why would you want to hang out with people that don't demand anything from you?

The previous posts were not unkind at all. They explained why the question, as asked, will not be well received by most professionals. They also explained that the goal as it was expressed would be bad for the poster and the industry. I think they were pretty clear and the poster is encouraged to succeed if they are taken at face value.

Hang in there...Re-read the posts with a little thicker skin...Be glad that people with decades of combined experience were willing to explain to you how to be taken seriously in EMS.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

Dwayne

Wow, Dwayne, well put. This site does have a bit of a reputation, but quality is worth the price. Take a look at some of the discussions in the ALS or even BLS boards, I can tell you they are at a much higher level than anything else you might get off of the net pertaining to EMS. Trust me, I am friggin' terrified everytime I post one of my calls for review and discussion here, but so far the reward has been excellent.

The big thing about EMT City is that it is a place for professionals. There are career paramedics, nurses, even doctors who post on here, it is a higher level than most are used to. If you went to the ASCE (Civil Engineering) website and posted something like "Hey, I want to build a dam next summer, you guys have any tips?" you might get some rather rude responses, same as if you said "Hey, I want to take that twisty metal thing off that's below the doohickey near that big bolt" on a mechanic's website.

No one is out right MEAN to anybody new, however, newer people tend to get mean things said to them, because new people tend to say stupid things. Look at the Meet and Greet section, its usually all how-do's, howdy's, and welcomes. Its only when someone says something that is completely ignorant, asinine, or just plain wrong that they get abused, and if that hurts they're feelings, there are plenty of websites that will hold their hands until they feel better. But you know what's worse than having mean things said to you on a website? Sitting down in a small uncomfortable room with a physician on the other side of a desk asking you to explain why you did what you did, because no one took the time to tell you that you weren't doing the right thing. Hurt my feelings, please, its better than being sued.

As for your comment about systems that suck enough to only have lower trained members I take that as an insult personally to my City and everyone in Basic class preparing to take their nationals in the next couple weeks.

So be it.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

There is a difference between getting constructive criticism and being an ass. I have seen dust post constructive criticism and I've seen him be an ass. I was tired when I made the last post do I don't think I got my point across very well. And I agree with you, I'd rather be told "whoa buddy, you really do that? You need to change now!" than coddled. However comments I've seen from dust (and occasionally other members) while they are trying to be constructive come across as more negative than anything. How do you expect a newbie to learn if you chase them away before they even get started. Who knows they may end up the best paramedic in the country or they may sink like a rock and do transfers on a sub-par service the rest of their life, or even drop out. By saying things like I've seen dust say, these people are being pushed away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are better ways to go about showing people the light without coddling and without insulting them. Insulting people gets you no where, and I hope no one reads this post as an insult or to call anyone out. I try to hold my tounge, but this latest comment was an indirect insult to me and anyone who has a city running some BLS....we all have to get our feet wet somehow and with quality training like we have in my area, it's a good venture to do so with BLS service. 90% of the people who take our classes go on to paramedics. 5% like working BLS and 5% burn out. (rough estimates from numbers the last few years)

With that said, that's my last comment. I really do enjoy these boards and I mostly lurk, but I find a ton of good information and won't stop surfing just because of a few people. I just had to get this off my mind.

With that said, that's my last comment. I really do enjoy these boards and I mostly lurk, but I find a ton of good information and won't stop surfing just because of a few people.

Okay, so I guess you are so much tougher and wiser than all those unfortunate weaklings who let some stranger on the Internet chase them away from the field they supposedly think is their life's calling.

Come on, man. Do you really believe that you're the only man strong enough to withstand my criticism without quitting the field? I think you need to give others a little more credit. Those who are meant to be in EMS will be here regardless of anybody on the Internet telling them they have mistaken notions about the profession. Those who run away from a stupid message board, crying with their tails between their legs, simply weren't meant to be in EMS. It's that simple. And I think you are grossly underestimating all the other newbies here by assuming they are that pathetically fragile. In fact, I believe they should take your comment as a personal insult. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.