Oxygen. . . Can that drug by itself save lives?

future medic 48_234

I have not read all responses to this but i have 2 cents.

I read an article where an elderly man confined to O2 Tank was downstairs watching TV. He had bad COPD or something and could barely move around on his own. Well suddenly, his family started falling unconscious around him, and he had no idea why. I think he witnessed 2 or 3 family members collapse around him, and he struggled to get to the phone to call 911.

when the fire department arrived they found out the house had a bad CO2 leak and the 'Grandfather' was Unaffected Because of the fact he was stuck to a bottle of o2.

He didnt even have a clue.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
That's how it is around here for pretty much most EMTs here. It's just a stepping stone to FD/PD/RN/PA/MD/ETC

And I'll never figure out where these people get this idea in the first place.

Okay, I understand the FD part, but it is a total fallacy for all the rest of them. RN instructors HATE EMTs! PA and MD schools don't give a crap. They aren't any more impressed with it than a summer volunteering at a nursing home. And it does not help you in any way. All it does is take up valuable time that you could have utilised achieving REAL stepping stones, like college courses that count towards something.

People who say that are liars. They're lying to themselves. They're not using EMS as a stepping stone. They're using EMS as an excuse to fail ever going to nursing or medical school. They know they'll never make it, but this way they'll just spend the rest of their lives telling people "I could have gone to med school, but I decided I loved being an ambulance driver instead."

And there will be much laughter and eye rolling.

Well, actually my partner said he's doing it because he needs at least 6 months experience to apply to PA, school. My FTO and another guy I worked a trade shift with are pre-med and they're pretty damn serious about it (4-year graduates, good schools, have taken MCATs, waiting for responses)...they did it to get patient contact experience which is desireable (not the actual EMT part, but the loads of patient contact is important). For the RNs, I think it's just fun for them to be in the field a little if they're into emergency medicine, test the waters...they're usually in school concurrently, but still need a job with a flexible schedule.

BUT I also see the kind you're referring to, around here. Gosh, I almost prefer the failed pre-med to FF track guys who don't care about patients or job at all (not that they all don't, but a number of them don't).

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.