Oxygen. . . Can that drug by itself save lives?

future medic 48_234

As the thread is named "Oxygen. . . Can that drug by itself save lives?"

Me and a friend of mine had a talk about EMS and other related sujects to pass time and BS. He asked me that. I think that is a good question. I know it is too vague of a question so I'm asking "In General, What do you think?"

If this topic becomes arguementive, quit posting. . Each person is entitled to thier opinion.

Let's begin the debate: "Oxygen. . . Can that drug by itself save lives?"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the reason you are using it.

In the strictest sense, oxygen is administered to alleviate tissue hypoxia. If this is why you are using it then yes it can.

Apneic patients with a pulse, I've seen them stabilize following only oxygen therapy. Respiratory failure, some PPV can turn them around rather quickly.

These things don't happen often, but for those patients that the only thing we give is oxygen, and a therapeutic response is achieved, then I would say that oxygen can save a life.

Well, as the first reply mentioned, if purely administered to alleviate hypoxia/hypoxemia, then yes, I believe it would.

However, just to be completely technical and anal, if you're delivering oxygen to an apneic patient with a pulse, then no, the oxygen isn't doing the 'saving'. The positive pressure ventilation YOU are providing alongside the supplemental oxygen is what would be the saving.

If your patient isn't breathing, then applying a non-rebreather on them is the same as applying one to a donut :lol:

Well, if someone has all the other necessities of life except O2 they will die.

So, I'll go with a conditional but emphatic yes.

O2 via room air is not a drug. Supplemental O2 from the tank in your ambulance or the end of your cot is a drug. It isn't like our patients are sitting in a vacuum wait for us. If so, then how come you or I can live on 22% O2?

I give it a conditional yes. By itself (i.e. just a NRB. A BVM pushes the same amount of air if an O2 tank is attached or not, the only difference is the percent of O2 in the air) is useful in a few, rare cases (CO, for example). Most of the time it is given just in case supplemental O2 is needed and in these cases it might buy time, but it isn't a definitive treatment by itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.