Have you ever been injured in the back of the ambulance

Yesterday we were running code 4 (lightssiren) with a SOB to University hosp. I Had a Ventolin neb running and was leaning forward to listen to the patients chest, when the ambulance swerved to the right. This action caused me to fly into the cabinets next to the patient. I saw lots of pretty lights but no LOC or blood. I still have a nice bump on my head though. Turn out my partner had avoid a collision with a veh. that was trying to pass us...

Just wondering how many others have had accidents in the back. I know someone will ask so... no I was not wearing a seat belt, I was sitting on the edge of the bench reaching for the Pt with stethoscope in hand. :oops: :roll:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in the back of a land ambulance, but i have been in a crash while inside a plane. That wasn't fun, and is what determined for me to return to land-based EMS.

Just out of curiosity, how bad was the SOB for the patient if you decided to return on a 4?

Jacob

Unfortunately sometimes you just cannot avoid getting hurt.

But for those of you who have bad drivers in your rig, I found one thing that usually cured them of their hapless and irresponsible driving.

What I used to do to every new driver I had, I would put them in back on the cot and show them the gentle way of driving and then show them the un-gentle way. I also had them act like they were taking care of a patient in the back and I would drive them.(you have to be careful on this one, dont' want to hurt the new guy you know). They realized that driving a couple miles an hour slower or braking less forceful usually was the wa they wanted to drive.

Good idea Ruffems, as usual.

I haven't been injured in the back of the ambulance as of yet. There have been some close calls with the cabinets due to an overzealous driver. After a short discussion ( read: them listening, my preceptor talking :lol: ) they saw the error in their ways. Due to the road system we have to deal with, mostly 2 lane roads with twists and turns, extra care is required. The pt has to be in a real bad way for the Medic I ride with to even run L & S.

Emergency traffic isn't always the best way to run. It's dangerous for the most part and usually not necessary.

Not in the back of a land ambulance, but i have been in a crash while inside a plane. That wasn't fun, and is what determined for me to return to land-based EMS.

Just out of curiosity, how bad was the SOB for the patient if you decided to return on a 4?

Jacob

Hi Lithium

Pt spo2 on room air 85%, decreased air to bases with insp|exp wheezes in mid and upper lobes, 3-5 word dispnia

Spo2 came up to 93 after first Ventolin, after second Ventolin spo2 98% and speaking normally,but developed basal crackles on left side.

I've taken a few bumps, cuts, and contusions. For the most part, I keep my but in the jump seat unless I have too. I prefer to do as much as I can before we transport so that I can minimize my time out of the jump seat and unbelted. Granted, we cannot do that, so when you do have to be mobile while transporting....I prefer to keep a hand on the grab bar and make sure nothing can fly up and hit me.

I have been injured in the back of the ambulance - cracked ribs...

Was in the back with a code, doing CPR, driver was a newbie.....we were running L&S, and a little old lady decided to pull out of a hidden alleyway in front of us.....my driver slammed on the brakes without warning, I went flying. We have shelves behind the passenger seat that hold our suction and AED units, and I hit those....

Yes, I think my driver was going way too fast, and I also think she wasn't thinking enough about possible dangers.....and no, I wasn't belted in, but you can't do CPR when seatbelted in.

Sometimes, sh** happens...

Now, I am a little more conscious of watching what my driver is up to, especially when I have a newbie, and I try to brace myself more in the back....and we have regular sessions with our newbies to remind them about safe and smooth driving.

One of my very good friends was injured while on a call. Not so much in the back of the rig though. She was climbing into the back and her over zealous partner slammed the door shut before she was fully inside. She got 'caught' (ish) in the door, when it shut on her back. Broke a couple of vertebrae, messed up her back forever. She is constantly in pain and can't work 911 anymore and can barely even work transport.

As my instructor says, "There is rarely a reason to rush like mad man to the hospital. You are better off getting everyone in the ambulance to the hospital in one piece and getting there a minute slower, than driving recklessly." (He did go on to say that if you suspect a AAA to drive like crazy).

Not only do you have to be careful when you are driving. You have to be careful not to rush too with regard to the entire call. You shouldn't move like snails, but you can't be reckless, in my opinion, safety always comes first.

-Elkie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.