LMAs

33mongo

Do any other deparments (bls) use LMAs. I like the combi-tube but it is what I was taught. We can only use them in code situations. Although I have not used one in the field, it just doesn't feal right?? I can't explain why.

What do you think?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33mongo, do a thread search on "rescue devices, the good, the bad, and the ugly", "to combi tube or not to combitube," and "LMA." You should find a wealth of info on the LMA in these threads. I have used the LMA in the ER and I have had great success with it as a back up device. It is hard to secure and is prone to displacement and may not be the best device in the field. An interesting development is many experts are now recommending good BLS over advanced airway placement. Even ACLS is recommending you carefully consider the placement of an advanced airway device in a code. (not that ACLS is the absolute authority on airway management)

Take care,

chbare.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Without experence using a King LT or Combi on a real patient and experence on an LMA I still am for the first to. I dropped my second lma in the OR friday and the general feeling is that while its as fool proof as the others its just not as secure. I still have issues as a BLS provider 60% through medic school with BLS using anything outside an OPA but I think it depends on the system.

All ALS with BLS only as dsecond on the crew...opa only

Urban ALS Responder BLS transporting...opa w/king lt on shockable codes

Rural...combi and king lt, with good medical command oversight

I'm no expert at anatomy but I feel its important to understand why your sticking said long tube into said patients mouth. I don't think you need college anatomy but more then some BLS programs teach.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.