Stupid things done on calls

My partner did that in final practical testing- it was rather confusing as to how I was to tape the head- not having a c-collar to tape over lol...Also, its interesting to see SMR done without headrolls lol (failing criteria Razz) lol

• 1 month later...

Pt. had a lock in place. Pt. appeared dehydrated. Attempted to flush the lock prior to adm. fluid bolus. It wouldn't run so I figured we'll just start another line. While moving pt to bed I see the lock is clamped. Makes sense why it wouldn't flush huh?

I dont know if this fits the dumb criteria...its actually something I am more proud of having done. Picked up a pt who was approx 10 mins post-ictal. He was unresponsive to all but pain and vomitted once in the rig en route. When we got him to the ER, we couldnt get anyone to pay attention to us...you know one of those times when docs and nurses just look up at you like "who are these people, we have never seen anyone like them before?" Pt started to vomit again so we rolled him on his side and let him blow chow all over the floor and wall of the ER. Needless to say he was in a room rather quickly.

Well its not dumb but I was really embarrassed!!!

We were sitting in the ER when a truck pulled up to the ambulance door. We went out and he said he had his daughter in the back seat and she had just rolled her car. So I ran out to the rig and got the backboard and collar and everything. When I was running back I forgot about an Ice patch that was next to the door. I slipped and fell and slid underneith the truck. Everyone just looked at me. I had the backboard sitting on top of me and everything else all over. I wanted to just die. I handed them the stuff and I went and had my ankle checked (I had broken it 7 month prior to that). It really sucked. The guy just looked at me like I was the wierdest person in the world LOL.

This is messed up...During practicals one day, I was almost the last person to go. I had heard the same thing repeated over and over and over by the people before me. They passed. All I had to do was repeat the same thing. I walk up and start taking care of the patient without verbalizing BSI and I failed. I got to do it over obviously. But that is messed up. Kind of like stage fright....Repeat after me...I (state your name)...."I, state your name"...DUH

Ok lets keep in mind that im only 16 lol... working standby at motocross with 4 Critical care paramedics. Young kid come off his bike big time LOC, # C-spine, abbdo bleed ect. I normally just carry the bags out there and watch what the medics do, bit of stretcher work, minor treatments ect. I was standing there watching the medics work on him and the guy in charge jumps up and goes Timmy your gana cannulate this guy. So here i am just bout to shove a needle in some kids arm with 4 medics with bout 16 years ems under there belt each looking over my shoulder. Im shacking like all hell, i stick it in and the medic said it was perfect. They pumped the fluid through and his hand started to blow up were the needle was. I missed the vain lol! I was so embarrass but not bad for a first try lol. I ended up meeting this kid at a party a couple of mouths later, we became good mates and he still neva lets me live it down lol

Well, this isn't really a dumb thing, but it was still pretty funny, not for me at the time, but in retrospect it was...

My third or fourth rotation as a medic student. I go to do my very first IV in the field. On scene are five firefighters, two cops, two EMT's and my two preceptors. My preceptor, having just a bit of a sadistic streak in him, takes a look around the room and announces; "Everyone, this is my medic student, and this is his very first IV in the field. Go ahead, student, take it away!" So now I have an entire room full of police, firefighters, and EMT's watching me. Thank god I got it with no problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.