Advocacy Poll: What do You the Individual 'on the Street'

Ace844

What one issue would you pick (Put as number 1) is currnetly the most pressing to be solved-changed In EMS and which you feel needs to be addressed NOW?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1.) Liscenceing and Credentialing of providers as Professionals
    • 2.) Standardinzed accredation and Educational standards for EMS professionals and educational institutions
    • 3.) Seperation of EMS into it's own seperate equal Public safety 'department' at the federal level
    • 4.) An Internationally envied progressive National Scope of Practice which is progressive, easily improved and not compromiseable
    • 5.) Minimum staffing standards for area covered and population density
    • 6.) My choice isn't listed here, but I have included it below in my Post

Advocacy Poll: What do You the 'Individual active EMS Clinician'on the 'Street' think?

I have been in EMS for some time. In recent memory (over the last 5-6 years) there has been a noticeable desire for change and an increase in advocacy among our peers. Yet, I find something very interesting. In all that time only one group has taken the time to get in touch with me and some of my peers and ask our opinion. Oh, you see their banners, they'll ask for money, and gladly take it, but have they come and asked your opinion or what you want? Now think about that. There are a bunch of 'advocacy' and lobbying groups out there representing EMS as a whole and purporting to know what it is you as the 'street provider need'. Yet, many of these same people have never contacted you to find out what it is 'you' want, need, or your ideas.

Furthermore, if you take alook at the people who are spearheading the effort and staffing these organization's; many of them haven't worked in the field in sometime. I'm not belittling their accomplishments, but I do know that from first hand experience when you lessen your time 'in the trenches' it is easy to lose touch with 'the reality' that each of us faces every time we work. One's skills deminish and you began to lose perspective of what it's like to work a code or entubate someone in a 4x6 bathroom, carry a 300lb chest pain down 6 flights of stairs, or work a serious trauma, etc.... These things are important to stay in touch with because it is where we all started and an important part of our career...This is also the group whom is most effected by those changes!

Now I am going to take the chance and try to get an idea of what each one of you here think. Your opinion is important so feel free to voice it in this thread!!! There are many members here from a broad spectrumof our professional community; here's your chance to step up and be heard!!! Now what do you think??????[/font:f4307747b4]

Out Here,

ACE844

Let's get the National Scope of Practice together, so that we know better how to educate the providers that will have to meet it.

This could probably go the other way, as well, but I like to know what the goal of an educational program is before I try to put one together. All of those are good suggestions, but I went with the NSOP.

I went with, "2.) Standardinzed accredation and Educational standards for EMS professionals and educational institutions." I agree with AZCEP that a clear goal of an educational program must be established. Education is the key. I think that licensing is very important as well. This is the opinion of a non paramedic however.

Take care,

chbare.

I went with, "2.) Standardinzed accredation and Educational standards for EMS professionals and educational institutions." I agree with AZCEP that a clear goal of an educational program must be established. Education is the key. I think that licensing is very important as well. This is the opinion of a non paramedic however.

Take care,

chbare.

In the opinion of a medic I agree. We should learn our entire scope of practice in school and then accomidate our dept. Which is kind of how it is, but we should step it up a notch.

Also, I am against streamlined sped up Paramedic programs that are under a year long, I think it's rediculous to give a medic cert after only a year of education.

I picked three, just because I think that 1 and 2 can be accomplished if 3 was done. Personally, I don't care about what other countries think about our system (4) and you can't have a one size fits all solution (5, should we have a minimum of x amount of ambulances in areas where people don't live or where people don't get sick [say soccer-mom territory vs Leisure World]).

Great idea ACE.

I picked 2, but my priority list is as follows.

1.) Standardinzed accredation and Educational standards for EMS professionals and educational institutions.

It's been brought up COUNTLESS times on this forum. Most are in agreement that the educational standards need to be changed. Now whether or not you're a volunteer or do this for a living, you're still handling people's lives, and can make a huge difference in them. Whether or not that difference is positive or negative depends on field experience, competency, and yes, education....how we got here in the first place. At this time it is my opinion that the bar needs to be raised on a national level. If we are truly to be recognized as professionals, we should be trained as professionals. Our job is an important one, and at the moment, the standards we hold are laughable.

2.) An Internationally envied progressive National Scope of Practice which is progressive, easily improved and not compromiseable

After we raise the educational standards, let's get EVERYONE on the same page. In my opinion, the Pre-hospital care a pt recieves should NOT depend on which state/county etc, he/she lives in. Everyone has the right to the same care. Let's make it so that's practical

3.) Seperation of EMS into it's own seperate equal Public safety 'department' at the federal level

This job isn't easy. We put ourselves on the line because to make a difference. We do it for very little pay, it's the least they can do. We deserve it just as much as any other federal profession.

4.) Minimum staffing standards for area covered and population density

It's immensely important that people recieve proper care in a timely fashion, it's not fair that people die because of long response times due to understaffed services.

5.) Liscenceing and Credentialing of providers as Professionals

This is as much of a profession as anything else in the healthcare field. We deserve to be recognized as more than ambulance drivers.

just my .02

Great idea ACE.

1.) Standardinzed accredation and Educational standards for EMS professionals and educational institutions.

It's been brought up COUNTLESS times on this forum. Most are in agreement that the educational standards need to be changed. Now whether or not you're a volunteer or do this for a living, you're still handling people's lives, and can make a huge difference in them. Whether or not that difference is positive or negative depends on field experience, competency, and yes, education....how we got here in the first place. At this time it is my opinion that the bar needs to be raised on a national level. If we are truly to be recognized as professionals, we should be trained as professionals. Our job is an important one, and at the moment, the standards we hold are laughable.

2.) An Internationally envied progressive National Scope of Practice which is progressive, easily improved and not compromiseable

After we raise the educational standards, let's get EVERYONE on the same page. In my opinion, the Pre-hospital care a pt recieves should NOT depend on which state/county etc, he/she lives in. Everyone has the right to the same care. Let's make it so that's practical

3.) Seperation of EMS into it's own seperate equal Public safety 'department' at the federal level

This job isn't easy. We put ourselves on the line because to make a difference. We do it for very little pay, it's the least they can do. We deserve it just as much as any other federal profession.

It's immensely important that people recieve proper care in a timely fashion, it's not fair that people die because of long response times due to understaffed services.

This is as much of a profession as anything else in the healthcare field. We deserve to be recognized as more than ambulance drivers.

just my .02

1) License as health care providers by doing so, one can write in the requirements to be fulfilled. This would automatically bring up educational and professional standards if written properly. Have some teeth in them as well for those that do not adhere to policies. Service should be licensed as well, with strict adherence of rules and regulations this should as well include staffing, educational requirements etc.

If they are not able to meet requirements, then they either loose or not able to have license to operate.

2) Reimbursement rates and Qualifications I did not see listed. You place requirements on management to get or obtain money, they will conform, until then nothing will happen. Make administrators responsible to hire and ensure that their staff (including administration) meets educational and license standards, has a true education and TQI program as well. Insurance providers will not allow policies to be given unless they have such in place. Then and only then we will see a change in EMS... from the top down.

3) National Curriculum review and change: We need an over haul of those that have done it in the past, and the way it has been performed. Standards of medical care are universal, and as such education should be as well. There should NEVER be changes or allowed changes to the curriculum because of systems are rural, metro, paid, volunteer, etc. Medicine is medicine.. application of how it is performed is applied after receiving the essential knowledge, not circumventing before it is even taught.

4) National Scope of Practice: Nice idea, never will see it as long as there is no true national standard curriculum, that meets standard expectations. You cannot put the cart before the horse .. it will not go any where.

Too many are making things difficult and complicated, (this is why it is so bureaucratic) and things will never change. Like all other business, it is about money.... once you have required or entice those that they have to meet certain requirements (teeth), then things will change, but until then we are blowing smoke....

R/r 911

Great idea ACE.

just my .02

(I tried posting this last night but the sight was down)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.