Here's an interesting position paper on Rural EMS

Ace844

That is an interesting read.

Apparently someone has been watching some of our discussions. They actually realized the volunteer system is failing, and that a transition to a paid service is the answer. :shock:

Making more money available to upgrade equipment is a good thought, but I don't see it actually happening anytime soon. Too many providers, too little money, too much bureaucracy to get it. :roll:

If it works out this way, it will be good, but that is a big if.

Another letter to Congress, coming up.

That is an interesting read.

Apparently someone has been watching some of our discussions. They actually realized the volunteer system is failing, and that a transition to a paid service is the answer. :shock:

Making more money available to upgrade equipment is a good thought, but I don't see it actually happening anytime soon. Too many providers, too little money, too much bureaucracy to get it. :roll:

If it works out this way, it will be good, but that is a big if.

Another letter to Congress, coming up.

Yeah, this actually seems to be one of those groups who are doing things and making headway...perhaps we can learn from their example... Here's a link to their site.

http://www.nrharural.org/

ACE

Officially someone addressing the problems. Yes, the systems is collapsing as we speak, right underneath our feet and no on e is doing thing about it. Many have and continuously bury their head in the sand or wear rose colored glasses that do not want address the current and new problems we face.

The problems are here now folks, just because your service has not faced them directly yet, does not mean they have not already occurred.. wait about another 6 months to a year.

R/r 911

Officially someone addressing the problems. Yes, the systems is collapsing as we speak, right underneath our feet and no on e is doing thing about it. Many have and continuously bury their head in the sand or wear rose colored glasses that do not want address the current and new problems we face.

The problems are here now folks, just because your service has not faced them directly yet, does not mean they have not already occurred.. wait about another 6 months to a year.

R/r 911

I agree with you wholeheartedly and we are trying to actively work to change and help address these issues and would appreciate any and all help you can bring to this. We also mentioned this in another thread on lobbying; Thanks for the input!!!

ACE

The horrible thing for local governments, is the fact that the meetings are open to the public :twisted:

Federal representation has been notified, now it is on to the locals.

Well i am in the rural ems setting i am also a jolly volly.......i choose to do this cause the squad I run with means alot to me more than anyone here can possibly know.....We have been fighting for the past 7 months to keep our doors open due to mismanagement from the former people in charge....we have had to prove ourselves all over again....but this is a fight that each of us is willing to do because we believe in what we do......ems to us isnt a pay check it is a way of life and way to help the less fortunate people in our community.........we each have a place in our hearts for this organization....it means that much to us that we are willing to go the extra mile and fight and do what it takes to keep the doors open.... we are getting no help from the county......we have fun raisers to raise the money to keep the trucks up and the supplies we need.....the county is ready to shut the doors and throw us out if they get the chance.......which is what we are fighting so hard against.....we are getting support from the community from our families and freinds.......some of these government officals need to look at the heart of people and not so much at the wallet.......the wallet is all they are concerned with....money money money...but when all is said and done......you cant take it with you when you go and if money is what makes you happy then you dont have a life just mearly and existance.........life isnt life till you give a part of yourself to someone in need

just my 5 cents worth........

I still think the days of pure volly EMS are nearly over. We are a combination department now--so you still have the chance to 'volunteer' if that what you are inclined to do. (we are paid per call by the municipality) A portion of the funds goes towards operations, we get $10 per call to cover 'expenses' such as gas, gear etc.

For rural areas, I think this kind of model should work ok for the foreseeable future--where you have set paid crews with the ability to 'surge' when needed...This still gives those of us who have 'other' jobs the chance to participate.

In terms of having other allied pros in on the gig, the question is "why have we waited until now?"

It can be an exciting time to move forward with a comprehensive plan towards community based health services and meet the needs with more business sense rather than political rhetoric...but we know what seems to always happen when it comes to political domain and money...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.