Nurse/Doctor Ride alongs

i know parkland in dallas requires nurses to ride out with dallas fd, but the next county over where i work, there is no such program.

When I worked in Tulsa, the residents from the ER's had the option of riding out with us. I was a big fan of the program, I always had a better relationship with the residents who rode out with me. It gave them an opprtunity to see the conditions we worked in.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

How has that helped in your interactions at med-report, and transfer of pt.care?

"FL_Medic,"

"AZCEP" recently asked a question of this nature in one of the threads I think it was RSI but I am unsure, though he may know. To answer your question I have worked in systems where this was done but there are a few things to bear in mind and to consider. This can be a great tool, but there has to be a clear understanding on both sides of expectations, accptable dress, and what the 'riders' role if any beyond observation will be. This should be crystal clear and the circumastances and politicis as well as working relationships within the system and between the parties will differ so that is as detailed as I will get with that.

I personally have had docs and nurses ride both als and bls and as mentioned above their interaction ranged from stand in a corner in watch to 'running' the call just like we would do alone. Our medical director used to come out and ride at least 2- 12 hr shifts soemtimes more a month. These interactions helped our working relationships, as well as interpersonal and it was extrememly helpful in getting to know the docs and vice versa which helped when we called for med con, etc...

All around its a great idea but tough to implement and keep up on a regular basis as the 'rider' is often doing so for free. Another great thing that one of the services which i worked was we also did the reverse in the ER, kind of an exchange type deal and the medics also did ICU and OR as well.

Hope This Helps,

ACE844

Nothing to increase the pucker factor like having your medical director running calls with you. :D

2nd year residents and nurse externs are doing ride time as we speak. By the time they are done, and actually making decisions or taking reports from us, they will have long forgotten what it was like. In the meantime, it is very useful.

The ER staff used to be required to do 12 hrs/year. Not a lot, but at least some. This has since gone away. RN's sucking up hospital department budgets on overtime, doing things that don't directly benefit the hospital isn't supported by administration much.

Course, everytime they ask why I've done something, I will offer to take them on some calls to show them what my work environment is like. :lol:

Nothing to increase the pucker factor like having your medical director running calls with you. :D

2nd year residents and nurse externs are doing ride time as we speak. By the time they are done, and actually making decisions or taking reports from us, they will have long forgotten what it was like. In the meantime, it is very useful.

The ER staff used to be required to do 12 hrs/year. Not a lot, but at least some. This has since gone away. RN's sucking up hospital department budgets on overtime, doing things that don't directly benefit the hospital isn't supported by administration much.

Course, everytime they ask why I've done something, I will offer to take them on some calls to show them what my work environment is like. :lol:

Actually it was great having the med director running calls because it had a 3 fold effect. 1.0 He got to know what it was like and expereince it on a regular basis 2.) got to know the crews and their abilities and disabilities 3.) Got to understand why we gave the ER staff crap soemtimes. There's nothing like having your med director tell a charge nurse to stop being a hag and pull her outta her A$$... yes that was an actual quote...and she deserved it to.. This particular doc used to be a medic before med school, so that helped as well..but I digress.

The nursing staff used to do it on a rotating basis about a shift or 2 a month soemtimes more, and it was on their time. We used to do the same in the ER and later the med director worked out a deal with the service whereby x many employees spent time in the ER as oppossed to doing a shift on a rotating basis. The medics did it in addition to mandatory rounds, etc.. It's soemthing I wish would happen more often.

Out here,

ACE844

All RNs and LPNs in our local nursing schools are required to do ride alongs with us during their last semester.

It boils down to between 4 and six hours, and there are no "interesting" calls during that time. They usually get stuck watching us do IFTs, paperwork, or computerized con-ed. At least they try to enjoy the truck check. We ask them about the meds, uses and contra-indications. Most usually don't have any clue.

Every now and again, a nurse will get to go on a "good" call (shooting, stabbing, OD, crash, assault). The ones who "enjoyed" that usually end up working in the EMD, but they wanted to anyway.

All new EMD nurses are allowed to ride along with us, haven't had one willing in a long time. It takes a long time until they stop being "prissy".

We had a doctor ride with us for as while. She was great, smart, funny, good looking. She is from Australia, and wanted EMS backround for when she returned. The bad part was that she is currently working in the clinic. She knew and had previously treated a large number of the patients we transported.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.