Are we (EMS) Lazy, Scared, or Indifferent ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for telling the rookies what I did for ems I'll tell them, the same thing they will do for EMS if they stay in it long enough, I took care of patients, may have made a difference in someone's life, and came home safe every day so I could impart my encylclopedic knowledge base to them so they can take care of patients, make a difference in a few lives and go home safe every night so they can eventually do the same for the next round of rookies.

If you want to make a difference and make changes then by all means go ahead and do it but I chose to concentrate on other models of making a difference and I have done my job. My patients have been happy, I've passed on my knowledge, and I've done my part for queen and country and my bosses.

So GA let me ask you the same question:

What have you done for ems? What are you going to tell the rookie?

I didnt list my accomplishments for exactly the reason you stated, because I feared that it would come across as preaching, or that i was somehow superior to others. At the minimum, it would seem as though I was blowing my own horn. I have had an impact in a number of areas locally - regionally, but I do not think that I have had any impact beyond my own borders or the industry as a whole, nor do I have a legacy to pass on other than what you have stated: patient care, teaching and mentoring. In other words, there will never be an EMS building somewhere that is named after me. But I do believe that a forum such as this, with some of the best and brightest minds in EMS, we can make real differences, if we roll up our sleeves and go to work.

GA that is exactly what I meant when I asked you.

I don't have the heart to go back and re-read the thread, I'm really curious to what you have done.

You say you've made a difference locally/regionally

Please list them Maybe someone here can take it locally for their area.

thanks

I agree...please list your accomplishments, I am very ineterested. We will not interpret it as you trying to toot your own horn. Maybe what you have done will inspire one of us to do the same in our area. We only learn by sharing and demonstrating.

The floor is yours sir...

that's all we're askin. You popped the question for us to list stuff we've done be they big or small.

just remember, a journey of a million miles begins with just a simple step.

:lol:

that's all we're askin. You popped the question for us to list stuff we've done be they big or small.

just remember, a journey of a million miles begins with just a simple step.

"Ruff,"

Sun tsu, tao tze, and all the others are on the psychic hotline...They told me to tell you..GREAT TIP!! :wink: :lol: 8)

Ok, remember you asked me for this, and I am going out on a limb, so dont start sawing it just yet. This is the short list of major accomplishments, at my current employer, in no particular order:

1. Established cutting-edge protocols (cutting edge for our region, maybe not yours) in 1999, that were copied by most regional services. We are about to roll out a whole new set that are cutting edge for this generation, but I did not do those.

2. Created Homecare Instructions for those who refused EMS transport. Featured in JEMS, adopted by many services.

3. Upgraded equipment from LP10 to LP12s with 12 lead, new pulse oximetry, new glucometers, and stretchers. About to add end-tidal CO2, but not accomplished as of this date. Put baxter IV pumps on our trucks. Put fluid warming shelves on the trucks ($700.00), but initially used footwarming pads that secretaries use ($30.00).

4. Used Special Option Sales Tax to purchase new communications system (laptops 800mhz radios), will be implemented this fall.

5. Facilitated the revamping of our training/orientation process because it sucked. I can not take full-credit as many of the ideas came from employees and supervisors.

6. Bought over $200k in disaster supplies using HRSA and FEMA grants. In 2001, our disaster supplies consisted of one triage kit (with tags and vests), now we have decon showers, generators, suits, scbas, the full-meal-deal.

7. Increased overall pay by 30% since 2000, wished it couldve been more, but we have had tough financial constraints since 2002.

8. Facilitated 2 full-scale, multi-agency disaster drills before 9/11, which had never been done in this region.

9. Was one of three people that were in charge of our Hurricane Katrina shelter for evacuees. We took care of about 300 people for two weeks, and distributed 8 tractor trailor loads of supplies to other shelters. Thats a good topic to post here, as I learned alot from running that shelter.

10. Improved design of our boxes for medic safety -- not enough, but we tried -- safety net at end of bench, no overhead cabinet above squadbench -- no rough corners -- additional padding. Moved to a bigger chassis, Chevy 4500 -- seems to be a good move so far, but too early to say.

11. After 9/11 myself and a medic from a neighboring county wrote/compiled/created a WMD training guide for the whole region that educated everyone about those issues. It was distributed to every ambulance service -- emergent or non-emergent.

12. I have tried to fight for change within our region, asking all services to set benchmarks and compare data, but i have been unsuccessful in that cause.

Thats all I could think of in 20 minutes -- feel free to ask about any of the issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.