vs-eh?

Do you believe in God?  

71 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I see your point, but I still believe for whatever reason
    • I don't see your point, God is real and inside me
    • I believe Transformers are real and are more than meets the eye.

Good points.

Unfortunately God (or a supreme being) by definition (omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence) cannot really be proven or disproven. Thus the circle...

My point was that belief in God (or a higher being) is as equivalent to believing Optimus Prime or a spec of dust is said God. I'm interested to see if people see that point and agree that it is just as probable (think about the above 3 omni's). If you do not see why this is just as possible then I will be more than happy to explain, it's pretty easy.

Yes I believe In God, I'd hate to think we came from Monkeys. But then again I've wondered about some folks.

Ummm, we did not EVOLVE from "monkey's". We evolved from a common ancestor. It always amazes me why people "hate to think" that we evolved from a "lower" life form. To me it's amazing to contemplate the time and beauty of it. So by what mechanism do YOU think Homo sapiens appeared on earth?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe evolution is just God's pencil and eraser. He wants to change something, so he just adds a little here, removes a little there, and life goes on.

Maybe evolution is just God's pencil and eraser. He wants to change something, so he just adds a little here, removes a little there, and life goes on.

So why make it seem like it's occurring over hundreds of thousands or millions of years? If it sees an issue with one of its creatures then why not simply make a change instantly en masse? If God saw something that it didn't like and could be "better", why doesn't he just do it now? Why give the illusion of evolution? Doesn't seem very gracious and noble now does it?

Yes, I believe in God. Very strongly. For some time I did not.

But if you think that faith is a subject meant to be argued back and forth, with all the points, counterpoints, and rebuttals of any other debate, then it doesn't surprise me for a second that you don't believe in God. God is something to be felt, not something to be proved.

I wouldn't expect someone to want to be convinced to love their wife, and no sooner would I expect them to want to be convinced to believe in God.

If you believe or not, he exists and he loves YOU.

Oh, and why is it that it took millions of years to 'evolve' from that common ancestor?

Ever thought that maybe 'reality' as we know it is much much younger? Say like 6000 years or so? hmmmmmm......

Deep Thoughts....

If you believe or not, he exists and he loves YOU.

Oh, and why is it that it took millions of years to 'evolve' from that common ancestor?

Ever thought that maybe 'reality' as we know it is much much younger? Say like 6000 years or so? hmmmmmm......

Deep Thoughts....

Sarcasm?

In case you're not being sarcastic...

That's fine...You are attributing human emotion (which a supreme being isn't) on to something that is intangible and has never (without serious extrapolation) shown itself to be. At least if I believe that my keys love me and are my supreme being I can show them to you. And in reality, these keys could be your god (by definition).

So, this loving supreme being (God) wants us to believe we are living in some kind of "Matrix"-like reality? Why would this God allow us to have tests and find evidence that evolution occurred and that the earth is billions of years old? Why would it care if we knew or not?

The 6000 year thing is arbitrary. Fine, so on that scale a year = 1 million of our years....whatever. It could be the year 0.5213!$-^2 for all I care. It's just an arbitrary assignment, but at least based on observable things to a point.

Here is a question...

I believe the supreme being wants the bank to give me a million dollars. Why? Ummmm... because I just found my watch that I'd been looking for. I prayed for the higher being for me to find it, but if I did I knew that the bank would also give me a million dollars. Why is this unreasonable? God obviously wanted me to find my watch and ergo wants me to be a millionaire.

Sounds ridiculous I know. But it is deemed perfectly reasonable in other contexts within religion.

This sounds remarkably like an extension of this:: http://www.ami.com.au/~bradw/cos/Sounds/index.html

Ah, but, it believes only one thing: 'I am fixed in space by an exterior determinism'. Now remember that, that is real important in the subject of exteriorisation. And this Thetan is surrounded entiry by this compelete belief that something else is fixing everything else in space, although he can't find any source of it, so he invents God.

Now the MEST universe is all very well but it's all illusion. Well, one doesn't want an illusion, so he can't have an illusion. And when he was very young, why, Christ was all right, he was very friendly, as a matter of fact, and so on. But that's mostly - people, you know, they have to believe in that sort of thing. And they did once, but it requires nothing but faith and, of course, they can't have any faith anymore and they did have hopes on that once in a while, but actually religion doesn't lead anybody any place in the final analysis because you never get your wish anyway so, of course, one can't survive on the basis of spirits and religion, and so forth.

So that leaves just, of course, God. "And, of course, God naturally exists because there is all this space around and this space is obviously surviving so, of course, it's obviously surviving. Of course, the space itself is liable to collapse. But the prime mover unmoved is not liable to collapse because he created all this, and maybe he can't either." And nobody yet has come up with as flat a "can't survive" as "God will never again be able to create another MEST universe." But if we mentioned it, brother, it'd be out on the streets.

Wow vs-eh, you're a very bitter negative person. It tends to p*ss me off when pseudo-intellectuals talk down to people who believe in God, a higher power, an omnipotent being or what have you. These people rant and rave about God not existing and the several thousand ways to say that He (yes, God is a man) doesn't exist. Even though they tend to be more annoying than Jehovah's Witnesses on a early Saturday morning.

For every argument against, there are at least one for. It all ties down to one word:

Faith

There are those who believe if they can't see it, then it can't exist. These are usually the same people trying to make their lives happier by buying stuff to fill any empty voids in their lives because of faithlessness, parents didn't show them enough love, etc. They will have children who will only know love by what people buy them.

The nonsensical babble about keys being God is a circular way of "The Wookie Defense" used in a particularly good episode of South Park. If you don't know what I mean, expand your mind and watch it. If you're not above it that is.

Does God exist? Yes. Am I a model Christian? Absolutely not. I am the farthest thing from it.

If you can look at a rose, a child being born, or a beautiful naked woman and think that there is no God that's fine, you must have no soul. Or you're a woman or gay.

ugly