How To Lobby Effectively

Ace844

Hello Everyone,

In addation to "AZCEP's" comments I would like to add that if one of us would have the ability, perhaps if admin will allow it we can either post copies of our letters here or soemone can collect copies so we know what kind of response we had, and have something to follow up with.

Here is a link to an advocacy site which was founded by one of our more popular, and well respected colleagues:: http://capem.org/index.html[/font:c0edb59953]

For those that need the help, here's one example from an ems advocacy group, and an example of some of the wording which might help you with your letter.

[web:c0edb59953]http://www.advocatesforems.org/Library/upload/NEMSIS_Senate_Sample_Letter.pdf[/web:c0edb59953]

Hope This Helps,

ACE844

I am trying to avoid double posting, but for those that reside in my state, really needs to pay attention. I had a lengthy discussion with my State EMS Director a week ago Shawn Rogers. Shawn and I go back a few years and when he was my Paramedic preceptor, so we have a candid relationship. I informed him about EMT City forums, and he told me he would attempt to drop by sometime.

Now, back to the topic of EMS changes and lobbyist etc. We in Oklahoma is at a crisis level. Although, my administrator is the Governor appointed representative, and Chairman of the EMS task committee, I was not aware on how dangerous it was. We currently have 186 EMS services serving our state, this is down from over 200 less than ten years ago. We have lost over 34 full time EMS with only 21 returning for coverage. This means 13 areas are without EMS at all. Yes, this is becoming an epidemic not just locally but nationwide as well.

Local studies here have demonstrated several things:

Most EMT's and Paramedics leave rural areas to seek employment in metropolitan areas (Tulsa/OKC)

The mean age level for rural areas is >35 years of age

ACLS or Paramedic Life Support licensed personal, leave < 1 year of service in rural areas.

The responses in rural areas is increasing to potentially doubling by the end of this year, to prediction in tripling in volume in 5 years.

As most EMS providers are aware, rural EMS is really where ALS procedures are most needed. Areas that do not have trauma centers < 15 minutes away, no cath lab, or even ICU capabilities, is where the Paramedic skills and knowledge can be utilized the most. Unfortunately due to pay, benefits, run volumes, and attractive packages, most new EMS personnel will go to metro areas.

So now, what can be done? In Oklahoma, they have initiated a "grass roots for EMS" campaign. EMT's are encouraged to knock on doors and petition for a bill to increase funding and establish EMS districts similar to those of Fire districts. State monies can be more defined and appropriated to EMS districts to help rural EMS areas. This could be by consolidating EMS services, funding to those in rural areas, educational programs, communications etc...

Local EMS services will have to face the truth the days of private EMS, and local community EMS unfortunately are over. It is too hard to fund, manage, keep personnel to staff these services as well as keep up with the demand of increasing number of responses. Just like the problems smaller hospitals have had in the past 20 years, now we in EMS are faced with. It is no longer feasible for small towns, communities to have "their own". It is much better to have a sub-station than to have none at all.

Yes, it is hard to face and realize that even though it has been a tradition, history of the community and well meaning, big hearted people can no longer be responsible for local EMS. A lot of egos, pride must be shifted and the main point to remember is the patient. To have a service there for them.

Does this mean to remove them entirely... NO! But, again it might mean to change their role and responsibility. Volunteers will always be needed, in fact more so now... but, the role as a first responder is greatly needed. Stabilization prior to transport units, early activation of flight services, rapid response, etc..

This is a drastic, devastating issue and it must be corrected. Even if you live in metro areas, it will affect you.... increased taxes, higher acutiy level of patients, means less rooms, less personnel to take care of those locally as well.

These are issues and problems .. " we can not ignore or bury our head in the sand" they will not disappear, it is a large cancer in EMS and it is growing each second. Unless treated, it will spread and cause damage.

What can we do?

Become involved... be a member of your State and National EMT association. Voices are not heard unless they are in unity and loud enough. I was a bureaucrat once, I know.. unless you have full support of your profession no one will listen. Contact your State EMS Director's office, State and local EMS Association see what is being proposed and being done. Call your legislator, and Senator.

I highly suggest mabe we contact the U.S. Surgeon General from the forum as well. He is a former Paramedic, ER/ICU RN and Trauma Surgeon from AZ. His daughter is a trauma nurse at a level I trauma center. Maybe he can assist us on whom to contact...

Food for thought..

R/r 911

Here is a current version in MS Word that may be easier to cut/paste. Remember to add in your representation's name.

July 28, 2006

The Honorable

United States Senate

Washington DC 20510

Dear Senator ,

As a paramedic, and constituent, I am writing to respectfully request your support for an Emergency Medical Services (EMS) funding initiative within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) EMS Division. Advocates for EMS, a not-for-profit organization founded by the National Association of EMS Physicians, the National Association of State Officails, the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians and the National Association of EMS Educators, formed to educate elected and appointed officials and the public on important issues affecting EMS providers.

Advocates is seeking a $3,000,000 increase over the fiscal year 2007 budget request to continue implementation of the National Emergency Medical Services Information System (NEMSIS) data collection initiative in the fiscal year 2007 Department of Transportation Appropriations Bill. A federal priority for Advocates of EMS is to work with to establish a national database of EMS data. Such databases exist to support police and fire services; however, until now there has been no similar national repository for EMS data that can ultimately used to improve patient outcomes. EMS systems vary in their ability to collect and use patient and EMS systems data. Currently, there is no method to easily link disparate EMS databases to allow analysis at a state and national level.

NHTSA, in cooperation with the Health Resources and Services Administration, has initiated development of the National Emergency Medical Services Inforamtion System. With $1,000,000 in fiscal year 2006 appropriation, initial implementation of the national database, operation of a NEMSIS National Resources Center and limited funding support for EMS information systems to assist with EMS data collection and analysis will occur. NHTSA, in cooperation with HRSA and CDC, should continue to implement NEMSIS in fiscal year 2007.

I appreciate your consideration of this request, and urge you to provide the necessary funds to ensure that our emergency medical services systems are prepared to respond to life threatening emergencies with the most advanced technology, equipment and training available.

Sincerely,

Also a good idea to include your name and contact information

One of the things which I also think it is important for you all to consider is that we even here are approaching this in a manner individually which may set up the effort for failure. What do I mean you ask? Well each of here have gone into this thread subconsciously with an expectation that we are attacking volunteers, and that this is a 'Volunteer vs. Paid' debate. This si not the case.

This illustrates a issue which we have fundamentally in EMS culture. We need to shed the US vs Them mentality that we are showing and which has become natural. The entire effort in EMS advocacy has to move from the petty infighting i.e.: Paid vs Volunteer, Public vs. Private, 3rd service vs integrated, Urban vs. Rural.Fact of the matter is we all need to stand up TOGETHER! We need to unite, and make this an example of US {EMS} making difficult choices, banding together, and doing the right thing vs. THEM {the rest of the population} and show them what is wrongand how we are going to fix it and improve and work with them to make things better for the future. This can only happen effectively if we put aside petty in-fighting and step up to the plate and do soemthing about the situation.

Otherwise the predictions that 'Rid,& others' are making will come to pass. Food for thought,

ACE844

Maybe we need to take soem notes and follow the UK's example. Maybe after the mortality rates increase soem the lawmakers will see our cause in a different light....

Read the story here::

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ide/5223068.stm

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new...-name_page.html

Here's an example of the kind of mentality which we are fighting against..

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/main.asp?Sec...amp;TM=83227.17

Unfortunately, part of the problem is we have no public support. We are considered by many communities as a "luxury" not really an an essential element of public service or health care. Notice that community's will have a police department (of course for crime, protection) have a fire department for ISO (insurance ratings) but what enticing point is there to have an EMS ?...

With the gross number of basics that would do it for free, and the ignorance of community leaders, and the public assuming an EMT is the same as a Paramedic, I highly suggest we use any other methods before considering any strikes etc... (it could be like the air traffic controllers fiasco).

We have a lot of work to do. From the top to the bottom and vice versa... Part of the problem is we do not have properly educated management as well. Just because they are a good medic does NOT mean they can manage well.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.