Would you stick that laryngoscope blade in your mouth ????

Would you stick any of the blades that are currently on your bus, in your own mouth. If not, why do your patients deserve less ?

For the same reason we don't use sterile instruments to embalm people with. It's pointless.

Not to mention, as AK said, it is not a sterile procedure, nor need it be.

But yeah... we soak overnight in Virex and then autoclave. But after that, they go into the intubation kit unwrapped and are covered in sand by the time they go into somebody's mouth again.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the same reason we don't use sterile instruments to embalm people with. It's pointless.

Not to mention, as AK said, it is not a sterile procedure, nor need it be.

But yeah... we soak overnight in Virex and then autoclave. But after that, they go into the intubation kit unwrapped and are covered in sand by the time they go into somebody's mouth again.

We do much the same as Dust does.. except minus the sand ;-)

30-35 minute soak in bacteriocidal/virucidal/tuberculocidal solution following the recommendations of the manufacturer.

The next time I see someone with a sterile mouth, I will worry about how clean my laryngoscope blade is.

By the way Dust, isn't sand blasting the suggested method for removing contaminants from most equipment? :lol: Stay safe.

Niiiiiiiice! 8) 8)

I'm loving it.

Although, I would like to intubate myself at one point or another just to say I could.

Oh you guys are funny.........but i will tell ya both what I WILL INTUBATE THE BOTH OF YOU........that way there is no room for error ..........i will just have to remember to use the "clean blades"... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

we autoclave and have some disposable ones too........some times you have to use what you have to save a life or at least attempt to save a life.........

But i think ACE has the right ideal though.....I WILL CHOOSE BREATHING ANY DAY OVER A TUBE.......... 8) 8) 8) B):D

I wonder if "GAmedic," could be so kind as to educate us about the incidence of primary infection as it directly relates to pre-hospital laryngoscopy with his 'dirty blades', and also please post your sources. Next I am further curious about which there is a higher incidence and occurance of; aspiration and or ET-vent pneumonia S/P pre-hopital ETI or the aforementioned dirty laryngoscopy. Lets also further contrast that wiht IN-hospital as well. Thanks,

ACE844

Shtttpuppoesooeosleoi, woveoiww Acaoerraioea, watehekwetio, a dsfsnafweo;i akfdjwefjwoejoio... Oh, sorry checking the cleanliness of my laryngoscope blade. Guess I have to go clean it now.

Shame on you Ace, wanting evidence to support a point made entirely on emotion.

Shtttpuppoesooeosleoi, woveoiww Acaoerraioea, watehekwetio, a dsfsnafweo;i akfdjwefjwoejoio... Oh, sorry checking the cleanliness of my laryngoscope blade. Guess I have to go clean it now.

Shame on you Ace, wanting evidence to support a point made entirely on emotion.

Well now I am curious, he must have the information handy since he made this post, and is participating in the implementation of these policies at his service, I mean there is NO WAY THEY WOULD HAPPEN OR JUST DO IT JUST BECAUSE....RIGHT??? Either way, I'm sure he's got the information sitting there so we can all see. Why else would he stand up on a soap box and make proclimations or statements and not be able to back them up....I'm holding my breath and waiting to see what happens..He has to know by now the burden of proof is on him, and...if past performace is any indicator............................