Training your personel to think professional

You can only go so far to remediate or change a person. They have to "want to change". Like the light bulb and the psychiatrist.

Peer counseling in a positive way may do something, but if this is ingrained behavior, why waste your time. The test should not be used as a weeding out tool. We all know they may pass and get that card.

If the employer won't do anything, you either cope or move on. Taking it into your hands or those of others can open the door to harrassment and that's counter-productive for all. You lose, and the object of change wins.

Good Luck :?

Ditto! Perhaps placing this individual with one that does present themselves professionally is an answer. We all have the ability to learn from each other - this might be the best way to convey positive professional behavior.

I have always been a believer that we can't change a person's attitude, but we can change their behavior. Having said that, I also believe we can influence attitude changes, and perhaps through positive reinforment and working with individuals who exhibit professional behavior she will get the message.

Ditto! Perhaps placing this individual with one that does present themselves professionally is an answer. We all have the ability to learn from each other - this might be the best way to convey positive professional behavior.

I have always been a believer that we can't change a person's attitude, but we can change their behavior. Having said that, I also believe we can influence attitude changes, and perhaps through positive reinforment and working with individuals who exhibit professional behavior she will get the message.

Good advice and this works the majority of the time with people. But it hasn't worked on this person. She took the NREMT yesterday...she may pass it. I dread it if she does. Since I run with her for 2 days I guess its going to be like this....either she listens and improves or I'm out of here. I guess they may have to make a choice.

Thanks for all your advice and we'll just have to see what happens.

First of all, I have to ask if you are the person who has the power to confront these issues ? Your employer should be following a progessive disciplinary process that ends in termination when the employee fails to improve. Your supervisors are setting themselves up for a huge problem, in that if they fail to terminate her, they will have trouble terminating anyone in the future. The other employee can say look at Miss soandso, you didnt fire her. It sounds as though they will not terminate her, so any efforts on your part are probably futile. I would look for a better employer, as employers who will turn a blind eye to poor performance, just so they can keep the schedule filled, are usually failing in several other areas. And it is difficult to change personality, which is why your employer needs a better screening process before they hire someone. But it sounds as though they are happy just to get warm-bodies in the door.

First of all, I have to ask if you are the person who has the power to confront these issues ? Your employer should be following a progessive disciplinary process that ends in termination when the employee fails to improve. Your supervisors are setting themselves up for a huge problem, in that if they fail to terminate her, they will have trouble terminating anyone in the future. The other employee can say look at Miss soandso, you didnt fire her. It sounds as though they will not terminate her, so any efforts on your part are probably futile. I would look for a better employer, as employers who will turn a blind eye to poor performance, just so they can keep the schedule filled, are usually failing in several other areas. And it is difficult to change personality, which is why your employer needs a better screening process before they hire someone. But it sounds as though they are happy just to get warm-bodies in the door.

She is the supervisor.

She is the supervisor.

I have some power but there is 2 others above me that run the service. My supervisor and the boss boss...My supervisor is on my side....the boss boss needs the schedule filled so that is where it stops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.