Rural hospital Freakouts!

Who made that decision?

I always treated both Pre-Eclampsia and Eclampsia as an emergency, i.e. lights and sirens to the hospital for the definitive care the pt. needed. In this case the definitive care was 100 miles away, yet you have stated it was not a "true emergency." I disagree and it seems all the posters so far also disagree.

So I have this question is for our flight medics, would you consider this a flyable case?

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

DEFINATELY, without a doubt in my mind! I'm not going to re-hash the already made points, but yea this is one for a higher rate of speed than afforded by an ambulance...........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparantly this is not the first time he has been better than the nurses but that's an ongoing thing in his hospital and he doesn't post that.

Quote: (as close as I can get)"who cares if I rag on the nurses" well I haven't seen Systemlord reply since we started raggin on him so maybe now he knows how they feel.

He obviously doesn't know the difference between an emergency and not an emergency. So Barry worshipper - I guess in your book a person with status epilepticus is not an emergency, cardiac arrest is that one? GSW to head must require non-emergency response

hMmmmm just what do you classify as a emergency a hip fracture to the nearest ortho facility?

Please back up why you did not consider this pregnant seizing patient an emergency. If you cannot do that then you might want to reconsider your field of work.

georgesaysowned.jpeg

The really sad thing is that Systemlord probably reached this conclusion through listening to Barry the paramedic supervisor. :?

Guys named Barry usually mean trouble....at least every one in EMS (or even outside EMS) that I have known was a pain in the ass.

Do I agree with the post? No, I think it was inappropriately placed and is simply an excuse to belittle nursing staff. Each has their own place in the medical chain and they fit well there. Each person brings their own strengths weakness and baggage to the situation. Some are more educated in certain areas than others. I chose not to say anything against the poster, because I know just as I speak, I will say something stupid and the tables could be turned to me. One thing to the poster's defense though, a helicopter may not have been an option. In our area, frequently we have issues with them being able to not fly either due to weather or fog. I wouldn't volunteer for that transport by any means, but sometimes, you just don't' have a choice. I would be sending the most experienced personnel I had though. At any rate, I believe lesson was learned pregnancy + seizures = problem

I use to work as hospital security in a rural hospital. When the ER nurses call for help the s**t is deeper than they can handle They know when they are over their head, which is very seldom.

24+ years in the prison system I have had my share of trips to the ER because of work related injuries (spelled assaults). I was always glad to see a familiar face (one that had been there for a while) because I knew I would get proper treatment.

I hope that you learn when to call for assistance when the situation is over your head, another words when the situation is beyond your training

have a great learning day

Some how I suspect that when 'systemlord,' figured out we weren't a bunch of wanna be push over whackers who would be echoing his cries of 'YEAH... NURSES SUCK DUDE!!' He has gone away never to be heard from again..!!!

ACE

"Do I agree with the post? No, I think it was inappropriately placed and is simply an excuse to belittle nursing staff. Each has their own place in the medical chain and they fit well there. Each person brings their own strengths weakness and baggage to the situation. Some are more educated in certain areas than others. I chose not to say anything against the poster, because I know just as I speak, I will say something stupid and the tables could be turned to me."

Fire911medic, I like your point of view. We all say stupid things and make mistakes, however, like Dustdevil stated, having the strength to admit to the mistake and learn from the error is another thing.

Take care,

chbare.

Ruff wrote

He obviously doesn't know the difference between an emergency and not an emergency. So Barry worshipper - I guess in your book a person with status epilepticus is not an emergency, cardiac arrest is that one? GSW to head must require non-emergency response

I agree lets break it down for him:

Altered pt. = Emergency

Altered pt + seizure activity = Emergency

Altered pt + seizure activity + pregnancy = Get the f*#k'in helicopter Emergency.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.