EMS Folks With Addiction Problems

I was wondering how most of your services deal with those employees who have been found to have addiction problems. I am not talking about the ones who come forward and ask for help, I am talking about the ones who either come to work intoxicated, or have been caught with a hand in the cookie jar. Most services that I have been affiliated with have let these employees resign, instead of being terminated (although they would terminate if they dont resign), because it is easier to deal with legally. But then, most do not report this problem to the State or governing EMS body, so these people just find jobs at services that dont drug test, or they clean their act up long enough to get through the drug test of the next employer.

1. How does your state/ territory/employer handle this issue ?

2. What are your personal feelings on the issue, should they be reported and have their license revoked, or do you recommend another

punishment ?

3. If you are for revocation, how long do you suggest it be revoked ?

4. Would your service hire someone who has successfully completed rehab, or are they tainted forever ?

Another fine topic for discussion by our friend GA(i'm serious really)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:58 pm Post subject: EMS Folks With Addiction Problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering how most of your services deal with those employees who have been found to have addiction problems. I am not talking about the ones who come forward and ask for help, I am talking about the ones who either come to work intoxicated, or have been caught with a hand in the cookie jar. Most services that I have been affiliated with have let these employees resign, instead of being terminated (although they would terminate if they dont resign), because it is easier to deal with legally. But then, most do not report this problem to the State or governing EMS body, so these people just find jobs at services that dont drug test, or they clean their act up long enough to get through the drug test of the next employer.

1. How does your state/ territory/employer handle this issue ? this is really handled service by service. I Have a friend in the past who got caught in the proverbial cookie jar and he resigned but started working nearly immediately at a different service. Don't know how this employer is treating this person - are they treating him differently if they know about the abuse - don't have a clue.

2. What are your personal feelings on the issue, should they be reported and have their license revoked, or do you recommend another

punishment ? My feelings are this - it's black and white - you get caught stealing narcs from your service then you are gone. No if's and or buts. OUT on your arse

3. If you are for revocation, how long do you suggest it be revoked ? If you are caught by the employer stealing drugs and you fail a drug test that shows the stolen drug then you should have your license suspended at least if not taken from you. You can participate in a rehab program but then you have to have extra scrutiny on you over a period of oh, let's just say LIFE!!! Once an addict always an addict

4. Would your service hire someone who has successfully completed rehab, or are they tainted forever ? I don't think I'd hire someone as a medic if they had a history of addiction to narcotics. But that's just me. I know that many drug addicts successfully kick the habit but the risk to the service is just too great. If a service loses it's narcotic license then effectively the service cannot run. If I did hire that person then they would have to undergo more scrutiny than the ordinary medic.

Those are my thoughts.

1. How does your state/ territory/employer handle this issue ?

State does an formal investigation based each individual report, then a decision will be made of the incident. Most EMS services do not perform drug testing, because this would require them to provide insurance coverage for rehab and is a costly insurance expense.

2. What are your personal feelings on the issue, should they be reported and have their license revoked, or do you recommend another punishment ?

Each case needs to be reviewed individual. There are some that rehab and counseling can help.. others it's a lost cause. Immediate termination should occur no matter what. We can not be respected as a profession and then to allow this to occur. This should even go for as far as DWI, public intoxication as well. My state RN board requires immediate notification for any alcohol, drug charges even DWI. Failure to do so, could lead to immediate revocation of license, this is more harsh than the EMS division. You would think that EMS standards would be higher, since our primary job involves clear thinking skills and driving.

3. If you are for revocation, how long do you suggest it be revoked ?

Until, graduated from rehab and then again bases upon each individual case, and 1 year probation under direct supervision of another Paramedic. He/she could not administer or be responsible any narcotic(s). After review, decision can be made to extend, release, or permanent revoke the license.

4. Would your service hire someone who has successfully completed rehab, or are they tainted forever ?

Probably not, if we knew it (which everybody in EMS knows this is a good chance) reputation has a way to kill most of these folks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.