EMT CIty Book Club

Okay, if Oprah can do it so can we! Have you read a EMS, medical, text, fictional book lately? As most are aware this site promotes growth and expanding the mind and knowledge. One of the best ways to do that is to read.

I am going to suggest a lay out, please be honest, frank with discussion of the book, what your likes and dislikes as well. How and if this changed you current practice, treatment or ideas.

Okay let the fun begin!

bobpage.jpg

Book:Text type : 12 Lead ECG for Acute Care ans Critical Care Providers

Author: Bob Page

Publisher: Brady

Costs: approx. $45.00 (U.S.)

ISBN Number: 0-13-022460-X

Discussion : This text is authored by the renowned ECG Guru, Bob Page. Bob, is a veteran Paramedic and has teaching and promoting advanced cardiac care for Paramedics for several years. His lectures of "Multi Lead Medic" has been a popular lecture and classes for years. Bob is an health educator with St. John's in Missouri.

Anyone that knows or have met Bob soon finds out his love, enthusiasm and sincerity to improve quality care in EMS. Here is a link to his website for more information of classes: http://www.multileadmedics.com/

This text follows Bob's lecture on twelve leads. The text is designed so that one does not have to be from the EMS arena to understand it. Health care workers such as ICU, CCU, and ER can use this book for educational purposes as well. It does have an EMS flair through out the text though, and is written so one is not required to have formal ECG education prior. With that saying I would highly recommend though to make it more understandable, and clear, one should have a well understanding of Basic ECG interpretation skills, and as well a more than basic knowledge of cardiology.

Many EMS veterans will recognize his famous "Multi lead Medic" methods, before the introduction of 12 lead monitors, many aggressive Paramedics would physically move leads around to obtain better insight of ths ECG. These being the infamous MCL[sub:db743a3462]1[/sub:db743a3462]. etc.. As well it demonstrates, that one does not have to have a 12 lead monitor to obtain a better diagnosing an obtaining a better ECG.

I would describe the text to be written at an upper high school or lower college reading level. With chapters that is well designed and flow that is easy to understand. This text reminds me of Dubins' "Understanding ECG's", in the way it is presented with immediate recall, and testing after each chapter. This method has been proven to increase comprehension level, which is nice.

Pro and Con's" The text is straight forward, and very little anecdotal discussion is made. The graphics and artwork is excelled and Brady has outdone themselves on this. The 12 lead ECG's is very clear and not blurry like so many other EKG texts. The book is full of practice strips to immediately practice and entice readers to learn more. I do wish that was an accompany CD, but Bob still performs this lecture and class, which I highly recommend. There is not much discussion of treatment modalities, which also can be good or bad. Bad, not understanding the treatment, the good of it will not be outdated by protocol changes.

Summary: Over-all I enjoyed reading 12 Lead ECG for acute and Critical Care Providers. It is not a thick book, approximately 300 pages with many of those being practice ECG's It is paper back which has its' advantages and disadvantages as well.

I would definitely recommend one to read and keep this book as a reference book, material. One could read easily read this in one to two days.

Ranking 1-poor 10 -excellent : I rank this textbook 8/10 Stars of Life

smallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpg

Be sure to link to Amazon.com for EMT City to get credit for purchase.. remember to support our site!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

s146.jpg

Book:Text type : The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales

Author: Oliver Sacks

Publisher: Touchstone

Costs: approx. $10.78 USD on Amazon.com

ISBN Number: 0684853949

Discussion : While not purely related to EMS, this book certainly can affect how you practice. Learn why not every "crazy" person is crazy and how psychiatry is linked to neurology as Dr. Sacks (a neurologist) takes you through the more interesting patients that he has seen, the consequences of their disorder, and sometimes the surprisingly simple "cure" found along the way, all the while adding clinical (ex. how Tourette's and Parkinson's is linked) and historical observations (ex. how Tourette's seemed to disappear, and then suddenly reappear again).

The format of the book is a narrative describing what happened to the patient (almost like in PCR form, starting, generally, with how he became involved in a case) from Dr. Sack's prospective. Most of the patients in the book are followed from the beginning of their disease (be it from drinking or from a bad drug reaction) through to a "cure" for the patient, if there is one. Following the narrative is an in-depth discussion of the case. In my opinion, the narrative was much more engaging and interesting. Some of the discussions tend to drag on for pages and can probably be skipped without the reader missing too much. Many of the disorders are discussed more then once to show how different patients cope (or not) with the disorder as well as giving each disorder a spectrum of severity

I would put this book at a high school graduate reading level. The biology is not bad because he does explain what is happening in general terms (such as defining the function of the Mammillary bodies) or the disease (Korsakoff syndrome's affect on the Mammillary bodies). While any technical or Latin word can be inferred from the reading (agnosia, for example), it might be helpful to have a dictionary nearby to help.

Pro and Con's" Pros: Clinical narratives are very interesting. It gives another look on why some people might seem to be crazy (like the man who leaned when he walked and didn't know about it). Shows how innovation might be just as important as drugs and procedures.

Cons: Discussions tend to be overwhelming and less useful. Some terms that come up are overly technical.

Summary: It isn't going to teach you to diagnose or treat, but the new prospective is well worth taking the time to read it.

Ranking 1-poor 10 -excellent : I rank this book 7/10 Stars of Life

I actually have read that book. Very interesting indeed. Some parts at first I thought was dry, (description of diagnosis and a lot of psychobabble) but over all an interesting read. I agree it is an upper level reading, and usually associated with an upper level psych cl assess required reading list.

The title was an interesting eye grabber and its' later explanation is interesting.

I would rate it a 5-6, stars of life, definitely worth reading especially if you are into psychiatric disorders...

R/r 911

I have two.

Manual of Emergency Airway Management

by Ron M Walls, Robert C Luten, Michael F Murphy, Robert E Schneider

Paperback: 368 pages

Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2nd edition (May 1, 2004)

Language: English

ISBN: 0781747643

This is a great airway book! It offers excellent review of anatomy, pharmacology and methods for everything from simple to difficult airways. Assessment methods are also discussed to help identify those potentially problematic airways.

The downside is that it's aimed more towards physician/in hospital airway management. However, the same methods and assessments that apply in hospital work prehospitally as well.

If you're looking for an airway book this is it.

On a lighter note:

Stiff

By Mary Roach

Paperback: 304 pages

Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company; Reprint edition (May 2004)

ISBN: 0393324826

Ever wonder what happens to bodies? Ever wonder how bodies get to be where they are? This is a history and informational look at death and what happens to the physical self afterwards. Everything from dissection to research to common burial practices are discussed. Mary Roach provides insight along with a touch of humour in what is otherwise a heavy and somewhat depressing topic.

I never was good at writing book reports. :cry:

-be safe.

I have a new favorite ECG book.

Advanced ECG: Boards and Beyond 2nd edition

By: Brendan P. Phibbs, MD

Paperback: 294 pages

Saunders/Elsevier

ISBN: 9781416024026

This book takes the basic knowledge that you receive from most other ECG texts and expands on it. One of the first lines in the book describes that you will never see a "basic ECG" so why would you spend time studying how to look at them. It discusses the more difficult ECG topics in a method that makes it so very easy to understand. Ectopic beats, AV blocks, Bundle branch blocks in all their variations, and MI identification with/without BBB patterns. Self assessment tools follow each section to quiz you on the newly gained information. The strips are from actual patients, so you can be assured you might actually see some of the rhythms.

After you read the Bob Page 12 lead book, pick this one up for an expansion of the information.

Easily 8/10 stars.

I will also agree with Mike, the Emergency Airway Management book is excellent. If you learn anything from the book, you will see how it actually applies when you decide to attend the conference that goes with it.

As a package book/conference 10/10, book alone: 8/10.

I too agree that airway book is great and every instructor and EMS facility should have a copy in their library.

My second revue and recent EMS book I read is interesting as well.

CCP.jpg

Name: Critical Care Paramedic

Author: Bryan Bledose, D.O., Randal Benner, et. al

Publisher: Brady

ISBN: 0-13-119271-X

Description: Text, Hardbound; pages- 1142.

Discussion:This is the current bible for serious EMS providers. Unfortunately this text is not mandated and incorporated into the national curriculum for Paramedics. As an experienced provider that has always worked in the hospital setting, it is difficult for me to realize that most Paramedics has little to no medical experience, other than the brief exposure to clinical, and dropping off patients. This text helps bridge that gap.

I believe a lot of hard work, thought and insight was placed in developing this book. I foresee possibly programs developing after Paramedic education utilizing this text. This text is way overdue in this profession, thank goodness, especially with the insight and knowledge these authors have stepped to the task.

Pros's and Con's: Part of the con is not the books fault. It is a text had to be designed to actually teach Paramedics, what should had been taught in the beginning. If EMS programs were truly educational, this text would not had to be designed.

The pro's. there is not enough time, space to discuss the great aspects that Dr. Bledsoe has placed into this. The graphics, art, pics, are superb. The outline is good too, with a design similar to most Paramedic text.

This text I would believe is written at a lower college level. Some of the problems I see, is that it is assumed that you have a full understanding of basic EMT through Paramedic level. This may be difficult for those who has not mastered the basics or logistics of these yet. For those that have this is a nice documentation of picking up where Paramedic school stopped.

The text unfortunately is somewhat shy in detail of certain conditions, etiology, etc.. but, there is no way possible without individual texts on these certain subjects to make this possible. I was impressed with RSI pharmacology portion, as well labs that the Paramedic needs to know. Cardiovascular emergencies was detailed enough, that even this text would help inexperienced critical care nurse to help them understand hemodynamics.

Summary This should be a required reading for every Paramedic in the U.S. (also Canada, but your programs probably already cover most this p.s. I have heard Bledsoe is authoring one for Canada's level). If one is really considering becoming a Flight Paramedic, career Paramedic, they should have read and fully understood its objectives. This is text that no Paramedic should be without.

Ranking I rank this text a high 10/10 stars of life !

smallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpg

I just finished "And if I Perish" by Evelyn Monahan and Rosemary Neidel-Greenlee. It was published by Anchor Books a division of Random House in 2004. It covers the history of US army nurses who served in World War Two in the European Theater of Operations. Six army nurses were killed in action at Anzio in Italy. How they cared for soldiers and the changes in medicine and nursing based upon their experiences is fascinating. The section on anesthesia administration left me speechless which is difficult to do.

My first degree is in history so I have always been interested in how we got to where we are because I feel that is the only way we will get to where we want to be. Remember, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

I'd like to add the following title to the list:

Pathophysiology of Heart Disease: A Collaborative Project of Medical Students and Faculty (Paperback)

by Leonard Lilly

002-6544905-7478449 ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078174027...7478449?ie=UTF8

Product Details

Paperback: 448 pages

Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 3rd edition (October 1, 2002)

ISBN: 0781740274

Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 7.1 x 0.7 inches

Shipping Weight: 1.74 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

Average Customer Review: based on 11 reviews. (Write a review.)

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #45,541 in Books (See Top Sellers in Books)

Yesterday: #24,929 in Books

(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

In-Print Editions: Paperback (4th) | All Editions

smallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpgsmallstar.jpg

That is a pretty good book Ace. I do wish I could find it in hardcover though. I just keep stealing it from the medical library. It doesn't seem to be having much influence with the residents, so they don't miss it much.

My suggestions:

Title:Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children

Author: McCance and Huether

Hardcover: 1616 pages

Publisher: Mosby

ISBN: 0-323-01438-0

Copyright: 2002

This is a good text for anyone interested in the way things work. It does a good job incorporating the A&P that is so important to understanding why things happen the way they do. It also discusses how the physiology changes with age, and highlights the differences that can occur in kids. Like most of the Elsevier books, it also has an accompanying website with more images and quizzes to further understand how things work.

I give this a 9/10.

My second suggestion:

Trauma Management: An Emergency Medicine Approach

Author: Ferrera, et al

Hardcover: 760 pages

Publisher: Mosby

ISBN:0-323-00210-2

Copyright: 2001

This book has been the base of knowledge for the last 2 paramedic classes that I've taught. It greatly expands on what is available in a standard issue paramedic text, and doesn't go so deep that the students get lost. It is written in a format for ER doctors, instead of the trauma surgeon, so much of the suggested treatments are available to prehospital providers. It also discusses some of the issues in dealing with EMS.

My only complaint has been it is getting close to time to buy another edition, that has not been updated yet. If you like trauma, and want to better understand what your treatment will mean to your patients, this is the best book available. Take the PHTLS or BTLS textbooks and toss them. This one will easily replace both without burying you in minutiae.

8/10 stars.

Outstanding reccommedations "AZCEP," here's one more to add to the list for those of you who are students and or have to participate in rounds or just want to learn more about EBM. This book should be used in conjunction with the Hardcover version of Emergency medicine by the same authors!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007141024...7478449?ie=UTF8

Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2/e (Just the Facts) (Paperback)

by O. John Ma, David M. Cline, Judith E. Tintinalli, Gabor D. Kelen, J. Stephan Stapczynski "Through the year 2003, the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) administered three written exams each year: the Certification Exam, the Recertification Exam, and the..." (more)

Explore: Books on Related Topics | Concordance | Text Stats | SIPs | CAPs

Browse: Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover | Surprise Me!

Editorial Reviews

Book Description

The best study guide for emergency medicine board exams! This rapid, comprehensive review of emergency medicine succinctly covers all the information needed for emergency medicine board exam success or as a clinical refresher. Featuring a bulleted format, this valuable guide includes only the most important facts as well as test-taking tips and strategies. Referenced to the new edition Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine, 6/e. ENDORSED BY THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF EMERGENCY PHYSICIANS

From the Back Cover

***** "Great quick review for emergency medicine in-training exams / boards exams. One could read this text in two weeks just before the exam and retain the most relevant information. Highly recommended."

—Online review of the first edition

"...a very enjoyable book to read. The amount of material in each chapter is good, with just the key facts included and the fluff removed. The concise and consistent format makes it easy and quick to read."

—Doody Review Services on first edition

THINK OF IT AS A HIGH-YIELD TINTINALLI!

Distilling the most critical information from the #1 text in emergency medicine, JUST THE FACTS is the perfect tool to prepare for in-service or licensing exams, re-certification, CME, or for use as a clinical refresher. Its highly efficient format conveniently condenses and simplifies only the most important content, for maximum yield and comprehension.

*Endorsed by the American College of Emergency Physicians

*Effectively condenses Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine, 6/e, for a concise, yet comprehensive review

*Standardized, bulleted format stresses key points of epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical features, diagnosis and differential, and ED care and disposition

*Highlights and summarizes key concepts, to assure quick absorption of the material and reinforce your understanding of even the most difficult topics

*Chapters are logically organized to help focus your study and provide quick access to subjects

Also available: Ma et al: Emergency Medicine Manual, 6/e Promes: Emergency Medicine CME & Board Review, 3/e Tintinalli et al: Emergency Medicine, 6/e

See all Editorial Reviews

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Details

Paperback: 624 pages

Publisher: McGraw-Hill Professional; 2 edition (May 20, 2004)

ISBN: 0071410244

Product Dimensions: 10.9 x 8.5 x 1.0 inches

Shipping Weight: 3.02 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

Average Customer Review: based on 1 review. (Write a review.)

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #15,838 in Books (See Top Sellers in Books)

Yesterday: #53,529 in Books

(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

Would you like to update product info or give feedback on images? (We'll ask you to sign in so we can get back to you)

7/10 stars

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.