Seat belts

Ok here is a Question just for my input.....

You see a car that has a small child in it driving down the road the child is apx. 4 years old...she is in the front seat of the car NO SEAT BELT.... the mom is talking on her cell phone as she is driving.....here is my question.....

Is it wrong to call the cops on this lady for not having her child properly restrained?

Depending on local statute, it can fall under the mandatory reporting of child neglect.

Chances are the local law enforcement isn't going to do anything about it directly, but the driver might get a citation in the mail.

Depending on local statute, it can fall under the mandatory reporting of child neglect.

Chances are the local law enforcement isn't going to do anything about it directly, but the driver might get a citation in the mail.

yes she did get a ticket

I don't think that would be any different than calling the PD for a driver who is weaving in front of you potentially drunk. Although, the PD would be more likely show up for a driver that is 10-55 to arrest than a mother/father who is endangering the welfare of a child by not placing them in an appropriate restraint.

It's a shame some people - just don't get it!

I do it all the time. In fact, I picked up Subway for the wife and me about 17:15 tonight. On my way home, there was a Ford Tempo that had 3 kids, the oldest about 10, in the front seat. You may or may not know, the Tempos had the automatic shoulder belts, but you had to buckle the lap belt manually. I dialed the direct dispatch line and told the cops where they were. We live in a smaller town, so the cops didn't take too long to get there. Lo and behold, there were 5 other kids in the back seat and the oldest was about 8. I didn't stick around to see what citations were issued. I'll give them a call later and find out.

I keep toying with the idea of having a "public embarrassment" column in the local newspapers, giving location of the happening, description of the vehicle, complete to license plate, time of occurrence, and the infraction. If enough folks think to look for said vehicle, perhaps they can help shame the driver into doing the right thing.

With the cameras in cellphones, a picture of the offense might be in order, to either the LEOs or the papers.

[marq=left:650f96b6ea]However...[/marq:650f96b6ea]

Remember the Harper Valley PTA. They called Mrs. Johnson to task for her wearing miniskirts, and she publicly embarrassed the PTA members for a multitude of minor sins they had done, and then had the audacity to complain about her! You, too, can be embarrassed, in turn.

I keep toying with the idea of having a "public embarrassment" column in the local newspapers, giving location of the happening, description of the vehicle, complete to license plate, time of occurrence, and the infraction. If enough folks think to look for said vehicle, perhaps they can help shame the driver into doing the right thing.

With the cameras in cellphones, a picture of the offense might be in order, to either the LEOs or the papers.

That basically what got Brittany Spears to straighten up - remember a few months ago, holding her baby while driving down the road!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.