PLEASE HELP ME do better assessments

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thaught it was a play on letters like S.A.M.P.L.E. I've been seeing it here and on run reports.

Not the things in oysters. :lol:

The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you were seeing this as part of either a neuro exam and or to document ocular findings and lack there of PEARL:

Pupils

Equal

And

R[sub:da1b3eab6b]2[/sub:da1b3eab6b]Round/Reactive

{not listed but said} TO

Light,

Some clinicians will also add-Accommidation; as well.

Is this what you were referring to? Furthermore, doing a search would have helped you as well and would have yielded additional mnemonices which you should learn.

Mnemonics?

EMS Terminology I

Medical Assessment...

Medical Patent Assessment

Things you've missed

Out Here,

ACE844

The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you were seeing this as part of either a neuro exam and or to document ocular findings and lack there of PEARL:

Pupils

Equal

And

R[sub:832ef3e62f]2[/sub:832ef3e62f]Round/Reactive

{not listed but said} TO

Light,

Some clinicians will also add-Accommidation; as well.

Is this what you were referring to? Furthermore, doing a search would have helped you as well and would have yielded additional mnemonices which you should learn.

Mnemonics?

EMS Terminology I

Medical Assessment...

Medical Patent Assessment

Things you've missed

Out Here,

ACE844

or PERL, pupils equally reactive to light.

Just say pupils equal and reactive at #mm, and you will be good.

It seems like we are getting so far into ALS intervention that we are forgetting the basics (procedures not the emts). We went through a whole complicated assessment there and while we were doing that, the patient should have been on a PSo2 meter and given high flow at 15 LPM IMMEDIATELY. Remember: if a patient is able to talk, they can talk to you through the NRB just as well as without it. You dont need to hold off on it to ask them questions. If you do, and their c/c is SOB, their sat is likely falling.

Someone did miss a meeting because we Basics have been giving ASA in the field in IL as a standing order for years along with nitro.

As one of my preceptor/docs once said: "I may not know all the medicine in the world, but I do know patients like to breathe."

A patient satting at 88 per cent is on their way to respiratory distress. Give em air, then ask em questions.

assessment and treatment are not two completely seperate things. You can do both at the same time, especially if you are working as part of a team. You can be asking a lengthy set of questions while your partner is applying the high flow O2. Also, you need to assess both before and after the treatment (which, in the case of O2, should be simply noting the degree of SOB in terms of effort, rate, spO2 (if applicable), and amount of words the patient is able to speak between gasps).

You can't know if your treatments are working if you don't know the patient's status prior to the treatment (again, use common sense).