Any Missourians out there??

Street,

I think you're talking about the Paramedic Level testing, and yeah.. I've heard the same thing... although I have also heard a few negatives. EMT-B level testing is pretty much the same throughout the state of Missouri, and as an evaluator I'll tell you... at state Practical Testing we're much more laid back and allowing of small errors than I am personally with my own class.

As for NR Written testing, it's the same no matter where you go. Here's my final word of advice... Contact the Unit of EMS for the State of Missouri at 573-751-6356... ask for Greg.... he'll be able to help you find the solution to your problem.

Hey there Buffalo Girl may I suggest... checking out this web site....www.prenhall.com/emtachieve a friend of mine from my EMT class gave me her password and allowed me to use this site... so I don't know if there is a charge to this or not. It saved and HELPED me out so much!! I passed my NREMT written on the first try, practicals too. There are four 150 basic tests for you to practice on. and 5 other catagories.. Airway, Medical, Trauma, OB, Operations, etc. It will review any questions you miss. you can take the tests as many times as you want untill you feel ready. I know this helped me pass!!!

Good luck to you...

Im in Shawnee Kansas, just on the other side of the KCMO

~D~

Yeah, I do hang out in EMT city. Like to be the sheriff in an old west town, right the wrongs. As far as testing here is a short Primer:

1. From Course completion, meaning everything, you have 2 years to complete testing and get your NREMT

2. practical results are good for 1 year. After 1 year, you have to repeat the entire practical

3. if you go past that 2 year window, you start all over at square one.

If you think MO EMS is bad, 'you ain't seen nothin". It can be a whole lot worse.I deal with EMT's, and candidates from other states every day. My offer still stands to come to Jeff City and spend a day watching our ops. Don't worry about getting in the way, we can have an office party in a booth at Ryan's. Just call ahead of time and I'll personally give you the "grand" tour.

Missouri's hiring and employment is like many other states. It depends on the location of the state you are in. Willy Sutton, a 1930's bank robber was asked why he robbed banks. His response, "that's where the money is!"

When I was a brand new paramedic, i had to move from Jefferson City to Excelsior Spring by Kansas City to get the job i wanted and the pay. That's only 150 miles. Some folks move out of state. You do what you have to do.

Now regarding paramedic testing. we had a meeting in Jeff City Tuesday to discuss this. We are working on scheduling and procedural changes. if you have complaints or concerns e-mail me at Greg.Natsch@dhss.mo.gov

Don't be afraid of the big bad state, we don't bite. But we're not lazy porch dogs either.

We're more than happy to answer a question. it's better to ask first than ask how to get out of trouble. And I know some instructors don't give all the answers right or wrong, but I try to help.

Hey, I didn't mean to put a damper on the fun. No action in over 12 hours,what am I , "the big bad wolf". C'mon folks a little dialogue is good. Everyone on the right side of the forum, stand up. Now the left. hey we can do the wave!

Too funny.. actually I had nothing more to add.. you said everything (and more) that I would have said!

44 for me, and I'm not crazy about it... now to the topic at hand...

Buffalo Girl, did ANY of this help you?

buffalo girl,

There are plenty of jobs doing the whole private service in MO, if that is the dark alley that you wish to travel down. J/J its not that bad I currently work for a private service and a PT at a "real" EMS service. I love the later of the two but the pay isn't too bad from the private service. I look at it as a stepping stone, good experience and room to move on. GOOD LUCK on your NREMT testing you'll do fine.

ALMOST!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.