Help! What to wear for interview?

csuram

I think of business casual as being a button up shirt, no tie, slacks and black leather shoes with a belt. I would also hazard that a nice polo shirt could take the place of the button up shirt, but that might be too casual.

It's really hard to say. I've seen people in a business suit who still look like they're headed to a county fair, and I've seen people in a t-shirt and khakis who look like they could still pull off a merger. But honestly, I don't think you can ever go wrong with a button up shirt, slack, belt, and good shoes. Casual to me means no tie, but if you're nervous, wear a tie. It won't hurt, just make sure you no how to tie it, lol. Remember to have a good haircut, trim your finger nails, brush your teeth, wear deodorant, if you use cologne or perfume, wear it sparingly. Women wear conservative earrings, guys, don't wear them at all, that goes for both sexes too with tongue studs and nose piercings. These are minor things but employers do notice. Remain friendly but do not lapse into being casual. Remember this is a potential employer you are talking to and not your partner or friend or roomate.

Amen. This is the ideal to me.

I'm with those that say that you can't over dress for an interview. You want to put forth your best image. Regardless of the kind of work you will be doing, an interview is (or should be) a formal process and one that should have a formal dress with it as well. I just recently picked up a per diem position at another service in my area. I was one of three prospective employees that interviewed wearing a full suit. I'm also one of the few people that got hired by the service. I went in with the intent to make a good, positive impression. One that showed that I am willing to take the position, my representation, and most importantly the representation of the service seriously. Don't try to get by with the minimum required. If an employer is going to not view you as a good candidate for being "overdressed" for an interview, are they really the kind of service you want to represent?

In some ways, I'm surprised that people feel the need to ask what to wear to an interview. I always thought it was standard practice to dress professionally for one unless they state to bring clothes to perform certain tasks in (such as an agility exam). Typically on the day of the interview, the interview is all that will be happening. Good luck.

Shane

NREMT-P

Man, this makes me scared. As a person that knows professional dress, I agree you can never over- dress. I personally would look at the person that would take the time to wear a suit and tie,or even a dress (females). Sure dockers and polo is usually accepted as sports casual, but have we in EMS became to "lax"?

It is not that I don't agree about professional dress, in fact I do. However, we have become to "lax". Where I work and most other services I have come in contact with all wear Polo shirts for work and personally I think that doesn't look professional. When I mentioned wearing a tie as being overkill, I was thinking about the uniforms of services I have worked for and feel we shouldn't expect a person being interviewed to be over dressed, especially when we could could be dressed more professionally ourselves and don't.

I am not specifically speaking about all services, but definitely services I have been employed with. There are a lot of very professional looking EMS Professionals out there.

It is not I dont think causal attire is not appropriate, especially now it > 100 degrees; however if I was interviewing first impressions are lasting.

Just like others have described, well groomed, professional neat appearance. Please don't wear white socks with black pants and shoes either :wink:

Act interested, ask me questions about protocols (maybe if possible to review) the future of the service within the next 5 years, and the usual questions. So many never ask questions and ask desperate to get a job, which also concerns me.

There is a unwritten happy medium of asking appropriate questions and listening.

As I said before a professional thank you note sent the day after .... will be noticed. ( Be sure to get a business card)

good luck,

R/r 911

Every interview I've had to which I responded with a thank you note has resulted in a job offer. Every interview for which I have not written a thank you not has not resulted in an offer.

It may sound dumb. But it DOES work.

Get the business card of each and every person with whom you interview. Write a thank you not to each and every one of them. Want to get in good with other staff? Write one to the secretary who asks you to take a seat and wait for your appointment.

They work.

-be safe.

I believe dress depends on the type of service or situation you are applying for. If it is a laid back service then a button up shirt and dress slacks (docker style) or khaki style pants. Ties are optional for guys. If it is a more formal service then a pants suit of linen, polyblend or other easy to care for material is ideal, wool is great for winter. Somewhat casual but still looks professional. Guys should wear a tie, and a jacket is preferable but not required (this is typical business casual). For formal interviews with larger companies or upper level positions (such as director, etc) a suit I would think is most appropriate to portray a professional image for both ladies and men. Having interviewed at several services and worked everything from a backwoods EMS service to now performing occupational health EMS, I have found the business casual to be pretty across the board as acceptable. Seeing as a practical evaluation may be part of your interview, I would advise against ladies wearing a dress or suit with a skirt or even against heels. Low heeled dress shoes which are well polished and hair should be tidy with no large jewelry to draw attention (this includes earings, nose rings, etc the latter of which preferably would be removed). If you have visible tatoos, preferably they would be covered. I feel EMS is to lax in their standards of dress and I would definitely hire someone who looked more professional with good skills over a scruffy person. Remember, it is the company's professionalism you are portraying. I know I would feel more at ease being taken care of by someone who takes pride in their appearance. However, overdressing can and does occur, and yes, I have to disagree with you here RID (one of the few times you will see me do so) I believe a dress and heels is out of place in a firehouse. It is still considered partly a man's type job even though there are more women who choose it as a profession. I have seen women come into our station dressed like that only to be turned down for the job with the belief that they were too prissy for the position, and I have to agree I thought so as well. Coming in dressed in a business pants suit, professional and very appropriate.

As for the thank you letter. It is amazing how far a few words can say so much. Be sure in it to reinforce why you are a good fit for their company and what you can do for them. Highlight important areas of the interview. Another great thing to do if possible, is to research their company before hand (really impresses directors that you have taken the time to learn about their company and their objectives as well as demonstrating a willingness to learn). Get the business card, then take the time to follow up on your application until they say the position has been filled. If they are looking to fill it immediately, I would send a faxed copy of the thank you letter with a hard copy in the mail. Makes them remember you as this is a small gesture often forgotten. Typically checking back with the person regarding the position once a week until filled is acceptable. Reminds them that you are still interested as some jobs take longer time to process than others.

Above all, smile, have fun, and good luck !

Wanted to say thank you to all of you for your thoughtfull replies. The interview went well, and I was very surprised at the range of attire for the applicants. One guy was wearing his volunteer fire dept polo shirt, jeans, and a hat. Crazy.

Again, thanks all!

-Adam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.