Help! What to wear for interview?

csuram

Hi all, I've been reading the postings for a while, but this is my first post.

I'm going to have my first EMT-B interview this week for a private ambulance service, and have been told by the H.R. dept for the company that they expect "business casual" for dress. What do you all think is appropriate? There will be some kind of a practical portion of the interview.

Also, I could use any other interviewing advice you might have! (I've been a part of a volunteer F.D. for a few years, but have never had a paying EMS job)

Thanks in advance for your replies!

-Adam

There's been a few posts on this before (I searched 'em myself a couple weeks ago)- here's a couple of links:

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...light=interview

And another helpful one although not totally related specifically to interviews...

Welcome to the site and good luck with your interview.

Slacks, shirt and tie are always good.

Just a shirt and tie even better..... :lol:

1321478726448f33acf295c.jpg

Oh to have partner that looks like that! :shock:

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

P.S. Yes I know I'm a pig.

You can never dress up too much for an interview. At the very least, black slacks, collared shirt, and nice shoes. Bonus points for coat and tie, though. No jeans, no holes, etc. First impression is everything.

You can never dress up too much for an interview. At the very least, black slacks, collared shirt, and nice shoes. Bonus points for coat and tie, though. No jeans, no holes, etc. First impression is everything.
Yes you can actually. I didnt hire a guy wearing a suit for a job cleaning up and removing trash from a house a lady died in.m

Too pretty..

Relating to EMS, business casual is the ideal.

(At the risk of stating the obvious:) Black, or at least dark, socks with your shined dress shoes, which should not have run-down heels, nor holes in the soles. Everything clean, nothing torn, including hands and fingernails.

Go git 'em!

Man, this makes me scared. As a person that knows professional dress, I agree you can never over- dress. I personally would look at the person that would take the time to wear a suit and tie,or even a dress (females). Sure dockers and polo is usually accepted as sports casual, but have we in EMS became to "lax"?

This is a job interview, if it is not any more important to you than to put your best foot forward, something is wrong. As wrong as an employer not recognizing those that can obvious understand that as well.

When I did interviews, the array of dress was always amazing to me. From jeans, to cut-offs etc. I sometimes would have those with great reputations of being a great medic, only to show up slouchy or poorly dressed. They usually never made it back to see me. One can be a great medic and be a lousy employee, remember you are no just representing yourself but the company as well. Not respecting me, the position, or the company by arriving dressed to causal or slouchy means to me you don't respect, care or take those positions seriously. If you arrive too slouchy or too informal for an interview, what would you be like at work? If I was the manager, we would never know.

R/r 911

I think of business casual as being a button up shirt, no tie, slacks and black leather shoes with a belt. I would also hazard that a nice polo shirt could take the place of the button up shirt, but that might be too casual.

It's really hard to say. I've seen people in a business suit who still look like they're headed to a county fair, and I've seen people in a t-shirt and khakis who look like they could still pull off a merger. But honestly, I don't think you can ever go wrong with a button up shirt, slack, belt, and good shoes. Casual to me means no tie, but if you're nervous, wear a tie. It won't hurt, just make sure you no how to tie it, lol. Remember to have a good haircut, trim your finger nails, brush your teeth, wear deodorant, if you use cologne or perfume, wear it sparingly. Women wear conservative earrings, guys, don't wear them at all, that goes for both sexes too with tongue studs and nose piercings. These are minor things but employers do notice. Remain friendly but do not lapse into being casual. Remember this is a potential employer you are talking to and not your partner or friend or roomate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.