difference between licensure and certification

Ok, time for a lesson for everyone. Im not going to answer because I dont have quite enough time. But...

There seems to be some confusion with providers on the differences between certification and licensure, and the practical differences between the two. Ill admit my knowledge is weak on this subject as well.

What is the difference between licensure and certification?

What is the practical difference between the two?

What are the legal aspects of each?

Ok time for bed. Have fun ;)

I went to school and graduated as an EMR. I received my EMR certificate. I am now a certified EMR.

In order to practice in Manitoba, I would need to become licensed. That involves going to MB Health and taking an exam and practical. Once licensed I would then be able to be employed by a Regional Health Authority. A license requires maintenance to keep. A certificate is mine forever and does not require updates or revisions.

So basically:

Certificate = school grad.

License = practicing professional tested by a Health Authority.

Actually license and certification are two different things and the best explanation is found in the EMS Scope of Training proposal and entitles more than some are aware of. That is why progressive EMS personal want license NOT certification levels to be our representative levels.

Here is a link to that site : http://www.jems.com/data/pdf/SOPFinal4.0.pdf Please refer to page(s) 12 -14

All people involved in EMS needs to be aware of the correct definitions.

The difference is certification is just stating you have received achievement of passing and having the minimum, proficient level and have minimal competency level.

License grants permission to an individual from a State to perform specific restricted activities. The States has the authority to manage those activities. License level is held more accountable than being certified and just having met the minimal standards. That is why professional ratings are license not certified.. i.e physician, nurses, pilots, engineers, etc.. again certification is just describing you have passed or met the lowest criteria allowable.

There is no down side... period. If one really knows and is aware of professional standards. Unless, you want EMS to continue to be considered non-professional, more of a organizations of skilled technicians.

I and some other dedicated EMS professionals fought hard in the early 80's for our State to have license NOT certification. This has been easier to monitor personnel, be sure that one adheres to local, State guidelines and statutes and ability to revoke if needed. This as well brings the professional level and image among other health care peers to the same standards. Any State that is not considering is foolish, as well, certifications in the Courts eyes are not usually as well favored and sometimes considered non-credible.

Remember we can certify anyone in anything as long as they met and passed the objectives.

R/r 911

Ridryder 911, thanks for your post. I hope allot of people read it. Licensure is required for a profession. I hope more people see this and realize that states need to strongly consider going to licensure. I am sure this could be arguable, however, most people recognized as a professional are licensed and not certified. (physicians, pilots, nurses, teachers, etc) Every other profession requires state licensure why not EMS?

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.