ob/gyn discrepancies

I am studying for my national written test and i have come across a couple discrepancies between my textbook (Brady Emergency Care 10th ed) and my review book (Brady self assessment exam prep).

what is the compression to ventilation ratio for infant cpr?

text says 3:1

review says 4:1

what is the correct depth for chest compression in a newborn?

text says 1/2 to 3/4 in

review says 1/3 depth of the chest

finally, approx. how far from the infants abdomen should the first clamp be placed on the umbilical cord?

text says first clamp goes 10 in away from body, followed by a second one 7 inches away from body (3 in. apart)

review says the first clamp should be 6 inches away and the second clamp 3 inches from the first clamp (so im assuming 6 and 9 inches away from the infant, but which clamp goes on first? the one further or closer to the infant?

thanks for the help! back to studying...

See things have changed actually, and things may vary depending on where you are...

Infant (30days to 12 years) CPR is actually 15:2 for non-intubated and constant (with 8-10 vents during) for intubated. Prior to that it was 5:1.

Depth for neonate (<30 days) was 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. But now it is taught 1/3 to 1/2 chest depth.

10 inches seems too long. I recall it's 4 from body and 4 from first clip, cutting in the middle of the 2 clips.

I dunno, ask your instructor for which guidelines you are following. Stuff has changed recently...

Not to pick at the nits, but an infant is <1 year of age. Child is from 1 year to the onset of adolesence (11-14 y/o). Everyone older is considered an adult.

I tend to doubt that the test will be updated as yet. There is also a rumor of the candidates being able to choose which set of ECC guidelines they are tested on. Seeing as AHA has not gotten all of the material out yet.