Question about getting a job.

I'm 21 and I became certified as an EMTB a few months ago. However, I didn't even have a driver's permit at the time, so I've been spending the past months practicing driving. I take my drivers test on June 21st, and I'm pretty confident I'll do well.

Also, I've never volunteered for an ambulance corp., though I did ride-alongs for a local ambulance company as a requirement for my EMT class, and a few shifts after the semester was over just to stay on my toes.

With only six months of driving experience and a handful of ride-along shifts, am I at a severe disadvantage as far as getting a job as an EMT when I finally get my driver's license? I live in Ny, by the way.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a driver's license but had never driven an ambulance until i got my first EMT job. I live near Dallas, Tx so we're required to get a Dallas County Ambulance drivers permit. All that's required to get it was a application from my employer and a defensive driving course, not even an emergency type driving course, just regulare defensive driving. But the never have driven before wasn't a problem for me

TXEMT has the right idea. It is always a good start to take Defensive Driver Course prior to attempting to maneuver an ambulance. My service requires as part of your orientation that you operate an ambulance for a full shift with an FTO before you are released to operate an ambulance as a driver. There are those services around the couontry that will allow you to work, but not allow you to drive. For insurance purposes and protection against any liability, it is best that you DON'T until you have spent some time learning the nuances of operting these massive machines, mainly because they are huge targets for those looking to score that big payday. There are those that DO NOT move when they see you coming, nor are they required to in non-emergent cases. I had an employee feel that because she was driving an ambulance, that it should be automatic that people move out of the way regardless. That is NOT the case. There is a HUGE responsibility anytime you are behind the wheel of any vehicle, so take your time. No need to be in a big hurry. Use this time to hone your skills in patient assessment and learn the roads, the proper way to operate an emergency vehicle and such. Much to learn there is for you young Jedi.

With only six months of driving experience and a handful of ride-along shifts, am I at a severe disadvantage as far as getting a job as an EMT when I finally get my driver's license? I live in Ny, by the way.

The question at hand here is whether or not this individual is at a 'disadvantage' for getting hired, as opposed to taking defensive driving courses that may not even be offered or required in their state.

As for getting hired, I dont think you'll find you have any more difficulty getting hired than any other 'fresh emt'. By that, I mean any other EMT that has gone through the course, passed it...and then has to drive the rig for the first time. I don't think they offer a driving course for the EMT on how to handle the rigs. Just remember, depending on the type of vehicle your service has....each vehicle has its own set of 'weird properties' that is inherent by the vehicle design. For example, if your service drives the van style vehicles, they're topheavy and can roll over if you take curves and turns too sharply. I hope that I don't have to mention that although quick response is good, you MUST drive with due caution and due reguard for those on the street, and for you and your partner. By the time you get the call.....the emergency is over, now its your job as an EMT to respond and deal with the results of that emergency.

I was told that in EMS driving...theres a ranking order that could be used as a guide for safety (and can apply to driving emergency vehicles):

In order of importance .... you should consider safety for:

1. you

2. your partner

3. your patient

4. everybody else

Good luck, and be safe!

Also, I've never volunteered for an ambulance corp.

Good! Don't start now! More than a few employers will hold it against you, as well they should.

This is a profession, not a hobby. If you aren't getting paid, you're not working. You're just playing doctor.

Do something positive for yourself and for the profession. Keep your dignity. Don't be a wacker.

Thanks for the info, guys. Yet another question though; what's wrong with volunteering? I've run into a few messages where people show gripe towards it. I did sit through an orientation for my town's VAC and most of the other "new recruits" seemed to be more concerned about using the house's XBOX, rather than learning. Mind you, they were probably highschool students. But I figured those who sign up to actually learn would find it beneficial. I understand completely that volunteering isn't exactly professional, but isn't it sort of professional to work for the learning experience before you set out to start a career?

Sorry for any poor grammar, I just woke up. =)

I worked in NY for the first 13 years of my EMS career,, first private BLS, and Vollies, the NYC*EMS, BLS, Disp, ALS, and LT..... I will give you the following advice with regards to NYS employement:

1. Go volunteer somewhere,,, no company likes to train from the ground up, lifting stretchers, how the stretcher operates,, PCR's etc.

2. apply for local private ambulance company,,, if you are in the city,,, there are a bunch look in the phone book of web,,

3. get as much additional training as you can, BCLS,, EVOC courses etc..

4. Some ambulance companies will not let u drive if you are under 21,, ive seen some under 25, or some let u drive at 18 depending on their insurance comp..

5. apply for FDNY EMS or other municipal units FDNY especially has a high turnover rate in EMT's and at least you will be on a waiting list for a 9-1-1 job.... As summer approaches look for jobs in the NYS park system,, Jones Beach, Robert Moses Roberto Clemente State Park all hire EMT's for the summer,, the pay ain't great but its interesting work, and good experience... Also look at the National Park Service in NYC/NJ,,, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Gateway National Rec. Area, and Sandy Hook NJ all hire seasonal EMT's...

Best of luck,, if you have any further questions feel free to ask,,,

A lot of our private companies will put new EMT's in the wheel chair vans first to get them used to it and also have them do extensive ride alongs after their chair shifts are over. this seems to work out pretty well. Just my 2 cents

Repeating what someone posted earlier: Get as much experience as possible. Just because you are not comfortable with driving does not mean you cannot volunteer as a third rider to gain additional experience. Also, in the meantime, read as much as possible. Learn you A and P, pathophysiology, and GET YOU BASIC ASSESSMENT SKILLS down. The fact that there is not much more than you can do past a basic assessment at the BLS level does not underscore the importance of the assessment. In many circumstances, at least in my area, BLS is on scene long before an ALS truck arrives. A detailed and accurate BLS assessment can help the ALS providers detect any important changes in patient condition as time has continued. Also, take an ALS assistant course of some kind. There in no bigger help on scene than a BLS provider who is solid with their skills and who is familiar with ALS equipment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.