Scene Saftey

All interesting posts, love reading this stuff. I'm a EMT-B in training and was wondering what percentage of calls are (in your opinion) dispatched as unsafe and how many turn out being unsafe (taking into account all calls)? I'm sure I didn't word that question well, just curious how often you encounter a scene where you realize "Oh jeez, I need to get the hell out of here!" Of course it all depends on where you work, but almost never? Fairly often?

The most dangerous scene we consistently make, hands down, is the MVA. More of our brothers and sisters are seriously injured or killed by traffic than by any other scene danger. But when was the last time you were dispatched to an MVA with the warning to "stage for PD?" For that matter, how many times have you voluntarily waited for police to arrive and stop traffic before you made an MVA scene? Doesn't happen, does it? Why not? Why would you go playing in traffic, yet cower half a mile away from an overdose, waiting for police?

Use your head, folks. Failure to do so will land you here ---> http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=39

The most dangerous scene we consistently make, hands down, is the MVA. More of our brothers and sisters are seriously injured or killed by traffic than by any other scene danger. But when was the last time you were dispatched to an MVA with the warning to "stage for PD?" For that matter, how many times have you voluntarily waited for police to arrive and stop traffic before you made an MVA scene? Doesn't happen, does it? Why not? Why would you go playing in traffic, yet cower half a mile away from an overdose, waiting for police?

Use your head, folks. Failure to do so will land you here ---> http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=39

I agree Dust, Let's take it a step beyond that. What is the number one injury for EMS personnel? Back injuries by far end more careers than anything else. How many times have you heard this?

45 yo male, C/C N/V, general malaise at 123 Anywhere street, 6th flr walk up, alpha response but were dispatching fire for lifting assistance down the stairs.

There are a lot more dangers to us out there than knife wielding psychos. Be safe.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

The difference is that on an MVC call, or a long, arduous lift the dangers are predictable (for the most part). And as such you can prepare for, and minimize them. It is the unexpected, unanticipated dangers that are being discussed here because when their is the element of the unknown it is much more difficult to minimize your danger/potential danger. I have several strategies some of which I mentioned above................however, there is no one right way for every situation.

We were dispatched to a GSW the other day and we arrived just ahead of the fire department. We're staging until PD arrives and secures the scene. The fire engine pulls up behind me and a firefighter approaches my side of the truck and asks if we can move our unit up some so they can get around us? Why I ask? "Because we're not going to wait for PD, it's self-inflicted" was the response I got. Ok then, suit yourselves. It was a self-inflicted GSW, but the patient was sitting on the couch, alert and oriented, and very capable of mowing down a fire crew as they walked through the front door of the residence. Complacency can be a killer...

Good to know that there are still brave fearless heroes out their willing to absorb the first clip, eh ncmedic? More time for me to find better cover.

Sorry folks I should have went a little further with my comments. I take every call with safety in mind and not just the obvious calls. Unknown calls are always interesting. MVA's you bet safety. I always take note of my surroundings.

take care and be safe

It was a self-inflicted GSW, but the patient was sitting on the couch, alert and oriented, and very capable of mowing down a fire crew as they walked through the front door of the residence. Complacency can be a killer...

Every conscious patient you have has the exact same capability. And about the same probability too. That is the point here.

Every conscious patient you have has the exact same capability. And about the same probability too. That is the point here.

The same capability, yes I agree. The same probability, not likely. The potential always exists for anything and everything on any scene, but violent acts are not encountered on the majority of calls EMS runs. When there is a known violent act that has occured (assault, suicide attempt, etc.) the call requires more defensive tactics on your part and much more caution when it comes to personal safety. You shouldn't be complacent at the SNF for the nab run, nor should you be complacent at the scene of a GSW or assault. The point of my post was to just once again show the stupidity that we encounter on a daily basis from people that do this job that neglect the most simple ways to keep themselves safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.