The Polyheme blood substitute trial should wrap up shortly

Polyheme who???  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yep, I've heard about it.
    • Nope, never heard of such a thing

Krj00, take a look at some of the other threads. There are a couple of good threads on Polyheme and some debate on how people are running the trials.

Take care,

chbare.

chbare, I don't mean to mislead anyone, but I am well acquainted with Polyheme. I have read up and followed its progress for the last six years. It just amazes me though that such a highly sought after therapy for acute blood loss goes virtually un-noticed by many of the folks who would ultimately use it. Regards.

It just amazes me though that such a highly sought after therapy for acute blood loss goes virtually un-noticed by many of the folks who would ultimately use it.

What exactly are you talking about?

Yes, I know what Polyheme is and all that. What I don't understand is what your point is.

What makes you believe that most have not heard of it? Or are you asking if they have heard something specific about the study results? I'm not criticising your question. I'm just trying to clarify what exactly your question is.

I think most medics know little enough about the therapies that they are currently using that it is unreasonable to expect that they spend a significant amount of time and effort pondering "the next big thing." I'd be more impressed if they simply spent time improving their understanding of that which they already use.

This seems a classic example of a case where one should have utilized the search function here before re-starting ANOTHER THREAD on the same topic...I guess I haven't missed much while away on my vacation 8) :lol: :shock: :lol:

out here,

ACE844

What exactly are you talking about?

Yes, I know what Polyheme is and all that. What I don't understand is what your point is.

What makes you believe that most have not heard of it? Or are you asking if they have heard something specific about the study results? I'm not criticising your question. I'm just trying to clarify what exactly your question is.

I think most medics know little enough about the therapies that they are currently using that it is unreasonable to expect that they spend a significant amount of time and effort pondering "the next big thing." I'd be more impressed if they simply spent time improving their understanding of that which they already use.

Krj00, I do not think it is lack of interest, I believe that people are interested and have weighed in on the other threads. I am holding off judgment until all of the trials are finished and all of the facts surrounding polyheme are published. We in medicine have this bad habit of looking at the newest and greatest thing as a magic bullet. Disease is remarkable at adapting to all of our latest and greatest technology. Just look at PCN. I will wait and see just how effective polyheme is. I am skeptical and anything short of a trauma surgeon in a 2 ML vial for injection may not be very helpful for that guy who is bleeding out from internal vascular insult, or perhaps it will be a great stop gap treatment to buy that guy some time. I guess we will see.

Take care,

chbare.

I don't think anybody is upset, except maybe for Ace. :D

I'm just still a little perplexed as to what your question was. The subject line leads us to believe we are talking about the study. The poll, it seems, only asks if we have ever heard of Polyheme itself. But then you ask us to "chime in" as if the poll question is supposed to stimulate great discussion. So, that leads me to believe you are looking for something else.

Nothing wrong with the topic. I just think people quickly tire of answering the same question over and over. Ever taken a long road trip with kids in the car? How many times do they have to ask you, "how much longer before we get there?" before you're ready to slap them? That's why you have gotten the above response.

As exhibited by the response to previous threads of the same topic, there is indeed big interest in it. While I doubt that most medics have done any serious research into the yet-to-be finalised study (I sure haven't), I do doubt that very many have not heard of it at all. And, as I stated, I really am not terribly impressed by somebody spending a lot of time reading about things that aren't even available yet when chances are they still don't know enough about those drugs and therapies that are already in their box to call themselves a professional. Getting ahead of yourself just isn't that impressive to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.