Lower back pain

hammerpcp

The obvious solution is to not put them on the board in the first place.

Scoop them at the scene. Unscoop them onto the ER table.

Patient is comfortable. No equipment is left behind.

yes.

sounds like the scoop would have been the better choice. shame so many forget that item exists

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The obvious solution is to not put them on the board in the first place.

Scoop them at the scene. Unscoop them onto the ER table.

Patient is comfortable. No equipment is left behind.

BINGO!!!!! :D/

I have yet to hear any indications for xrays, just rx and dc.

I totally didn't forget about the scoop. I think it is one of the best pieces of equipment we carry. This pt was lying right next to the car however, so we would of had to move him to scoop him, which is kind of counter productive.

I guess I assumed that my partner used the board as a means of transportation. Once at the hospital with the pt on hte bed, I began undoing the straps and my partner was like "has he been cleared?" I was like HUH? But whatever, it's his call and I'm not about to argue about something relatively inconsequential like that (today anyway :D ). Thanks for the replies. I knew I was right as usual. :wink:

I would argue that the LSB was a transfer device and not an immbolization device in this case. Since the patient was never fully immbolized, just transfered, there would be nothing to clear. Of course I would have used a breakaway instead (my company doesn't have scoops).

Perhaps the patient mentioned something about the board being comfortable? OOooo, there's something trippy to think about, someone finding a backboard comfortable. Then again, I have heard of people who prefer super hard mattresses for sleeping ...

peace

• 2 months later...

I just had to add 2 cents to this when I saw it. No LSB should have been applied in this case. There was NO mech of inj, and he said it himself. He got hurt months ago. No board, nothing should have been cleared, pt should have been tx in the most suitable position of comfort.

If I was a basic, and if he really was in that much pain, but stable. I would have called for ALS to give him a little morphine before we moved him. This is what we call ethics, and it is today's standard of care.

Ran into this case before. Same scenario, (no car involved), or board for that matter. Pt couldn't move, called DOC for morphine and he ended up giving me orders for 4mgs MS and 2mgs Valium. He was lovin' life. :|

The question was not about putting the patient on a board. The question was about leaving the patient on a board.

Unless there is more to the patient's condition than I am aware of, no, I can't think of any good reason to leave him on it.

This same exact situation occured a few weeks ago with my service. We left him on the board because it brouyght his 8/10 lower back pain down to 4/10. Anything for patient comfort :lol:

I can see the point of convenience when moving the patient. I can see the point of removing them from the backboard once at the receiving facility. I think doing that would depend on your relationship with the facility and personnel.

Vacuum mattresses work great too.

Anyone ever heard of inflating a BP cuff in the small of the back for patient comfort? I've used it once and the patient loved it. In this area, it is very difficult to get an order for pain meds for back pain due to the high incidence of abuse. I have given MS for back pain when I was pretty sure the patient wasn't faking (in one case, I could actually visualize the muscle spasms).

This seems to be beyond a backboard issue though. Your partner sounds like a jackass for being unapproachable. See my posting under EMS practical jokes for acts of revenge for a jackass partner.

Always be open for ways on getting things done.

Work smarter, not harder.

G

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.