Cardiology books\downloads to help advance knowledge

Greetings All!

I have found and met several new friends and am grateful for this site!

I am looking for any really good cardiology books that may improve my understanding on our (paramedic's) primary advanced skill. It has become obvious to me that EMT-Is are getting closer to us than we realize. Cardiology is the biggest subjectskill that sets us apart. I am looking to master my trade skill.

Any downloads that can help would be great as well.

Thanks again all!

The Hook, Kevin

firefighterkjhook@comcast.net

The Hook, have you looked at Brady Critical Care Paramedic. It is not a download, but the book does contain some good information on cardiology. I think there is a prior thread regarding this book if you want more opinions regarding the material it contains. It touches on arterial lines, central lines, Swan-Ganz lines, IABP's, and talks about some of the wave forms and hemodynamics. (ie: CVP and PAWP) In addition, ou get some in depth physiology. These may not be things you would commonly deal with, but the physiology of cardiovascular dynamics is fascinating and helpful in understanding what you are doing to a patient when you push meds and administer treatments in the back of your rig and on scene. Hope this helps.

Take care,

chbare.

Both are excellent books. The Dubin's is the master of learning EKG's as well as Bob Pages Multi-Lead medic and XII lead book.

I personally feel Bledsoe has produced the new "Bible for Paramedics" in the Critical Care Paramedic; this textbook should be mandated for any Paramedic program. He and his authors really has hit the nail on the head, with this book. I can actually say this is one of the finest books I have seen written in the past 30 years. Every Paramedic should have a copy and read through it at least once a year... This is ideal for those who want to know more than the general Paramedic, and have at least a basic understanding of emergency and critical care medicine. For novice Paramedics this will advance you a couple of years ahead, by reading and investigating the text. No, I don't get commission.. just an oddity to see such a great textbook.

Be safe,

R/r 911

I learned basic EKG interpretation from "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dale Dubin M.D.

Here's a link to Amazon if your interested. I have the 4th edition, looks like their up to 6th edition now. :?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091291206...ce&n=283155

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

I totally agree. Our class is using Dubin's text as our main one for the cardiology portion of our program. Granted, we're not very far into it yet, but so far it's been an easy read, and makes everything so much simpler to understand.

I've also run across a few good cardiology websites too...

http://www.blaufuss.org (heart sounds & EKG pages)

http://library.thinkquest.org/c003758/home.htm (interactive pages & quizzes)

http://www.emergencyekg.com (Dubin's site)

I learned basic EKG interpretation from "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dale Dubin M.D.

I want to clarify that Dubin's book is not just "basic" interpretation. And it is not just a textbook. It is a full programmed course in EKG interpretation from the basics all the way through very advanced diagnostics. I really can't think of anything you need to know about EKG interpretation -- aside from experience -- that you would not get from completing the exercises in this book. I sat down and completed the whole book in just a few days. I was not even a paramedic at the time, and I was able to walk into the EKG room at the hospital, pick up a 12 lead, interpret it, and almost always found my interpretation to be identical to that of the cardiologist. And it does not just teach interpretation as a "skill" like IV's or intubation. You learn electromechanical physiology, so you understand the implications of the EKG's you are interpreting. If you complete the book, which most who pick it up never do, you will be leaps ahead of over ninety percent of all medics in the US. And if you complete the book before medic school, you can literally sleep through the pathetically confusing and inadequate EKG module included in most paramedic courses. Hell, you can almost teach it!

I want to clarify that Dubin's book is not just "basic" interpretation. And it is not just a textbook. It is a full programmed course in EKG interpretation from the basics all the way through very advanced diagnostics. I really can't think of anything you need to know about EKG interpretation -- aside from experience -- that you would not get from completing the exercises in this book. I sat down and completed the whole book in just a few days. I was not even a paramedic at the time, and I was able to walk into the EKG room at the hospital, pick up a 12 lead, interpret it, and almost always found my interpretation to be identical to that of the cardiologist. And it does not just teach interpretation as a "skill" like IV's or intubation. You learn electromechanical physiology, so you understand the implications of the EKG's you are interpreting. If you complete the book, which most who pick it up never do, you will be leaps ahead of over ninety percent of all medics in the US. And if you complete the book before medic school, you can literally sleep through the pathetically confusing and inadequate EKG module included in most paramedic courses. Hell, you can almost teach it!

I didn't mention the exercises because I wasn't sure the new editions kept that format. Hell they've dumbed down everything else so ya never know. I wonder if the new versions still have the photos of the 1960's Thunderbird to illustrate various views of the heart. :wink:

Peace,

Marty

I wonder if the new versions still have the photos of the 1960's Thunderbird to illustrate various views of the heart.

They do! But Dubin gave that car away to a lucky reader a few years ago.

• In 2001, Jeffrey Seiden, a third-year medical student at Yale University, was studying his electrocardiography textbook when he happened upon the following message tucked away in the book's copyright notice:

Congratulations for your perseverance. You may win the car on page 46 by writing down your name and address and submitting it to the publisher.

Dr. Dale Dubin had inserted the note into his 50th printing of his "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs," putting his classic Thunderbird up for grabs. Of the 60,000 who last year bought the book containing the offer, only five spotted the hidden message and contacted the publisher with news of their find. The five names were placed in a hat, and Jeffrey Seiden's was chosen at random. The 1965 Thunderbird convertible was delivered to him on 4 December 2001 by Dubin's daughter, who drove it to Seiden's school.

• Unfortunately, the last copy I bought was printed in 1991. I would love to have had that car!

I didn't mention the exercises because I wasn't sure the new editions kept that format. Hell they've dumbed down everything else so ya never know. I wonder if the new versions still have the photos of the 1960's Thunderbird to illustrate various views of the heart. :wink:

Peace,

Marty

Sure thing Marty! the T-bird is in the 6th edition.

I haven't completed the whole book as yet, but I will highly recommend it to anyone without any worries. I am extremely happy with it!

I took one of the inaugural classes of the 12 lead program based on Dales book. As a class member we were able to send the book to Dale and he autographed it. I will cherish that book forever as it is a very personal and wonderful message he scribed in the book.

That would be the first book Id recommend.

there is another book by a woman cannot remember the name but it is by far the most thorough and indepth book on cardiology geared towards paramedics and nurses that I've found.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.