some noob questions

First of all, I'm from Iowa.

I'm thinking about starting EMT training this fall. My major concern is that I've got two drunk driving charges on my record, one in October of 04, and the other in June of 05. I was wondering if this would disqualify me from service.

I'm mainly interested in learning to stabilize massive trauma.

Any insight into the Iowa scene would help as well, pay-wise, culture-wise, etc.

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a college town, and blew less than .1 percent each time. Thats about 3 pints per arrest.

I was a lifeguard, got my frist aid merit badge in scouts, and have butchered chickens and cattle.

If I haven't disqualified myself, I'd like to know. If there's some kind of rule about it (no drunk driving charges ever, none in the last 3 years) I'd like to know.

The DUI's are going to make it difficult to find a job, not impossible but more difficult.

As far as wanting to learn how to stabilize massive trauma; I suggest the following company, they have current openings overseas for medics wanting trauma experience.

http://www.army.mil/

Good Luck,

Marty

:thumbleft:

I was in a college town, and blew less than .1 percent each time. Thats about 3 pints per arrest.

Ummm the legal limit in Ontario is 0.08 (I assume yours is somewhere near this) so why would I care if you were only "a little bit" drunk while driving? I had a close friend killed by a drunk driver. Not like once is excusable, but twice?!? (not to mention those are only the times you've been caught)

[As a side note, EMS is a lot more than massive trauma.]

You made at least two very poor choices in your life so find a different career and think about your actions first next time.

my friend, good luck, you are pretty screwed. Plus, you really dont stabalize massive trauma as an EMT, you put the pt on a board and drive as fast as possible to a doctor, so you also might have the wrong impression about EMS.

Well my Dad was a volunteer, and he was talking about hooking up IV's, shooting up stabbing victims with morphine, stitching up wide open wounds, etc. Maybe it's cuz I'm from a more rural area, maybe he was telling some tales. I don't think they'd give a fancy symbol to ambulance drivers.

I mean, what the hell do you learn in two years of school? how to drive an ambulance fast? I learned how to strap someone to a board in a half hour.

I was a lifeguard, got my frist aid merit badge in scouts, and have butchered chickens and cattle.

If I haven't disqualified myself, I'd like to know. If there's some kind of rule about it (no drunk driving charges ever, none in the last 3 years) I'd like to know.

So because it was a college town, that makes it ok???

And you ONLY blew .1.....still a DUI, right???

Lifeguard does not compare to EMS and neither does butchering animals.

I believe you have a huge mis understanding of what EMS is and what we do.

As for jobs, you are pretty much screwed. Who wants to hire a 2 time DUI offender. No risk management will allow you in their trucks, risking you and your partners life, the pts life and all the people on the road.

No one wants to hire someone who hasn't learned from their mistakes either. By attempting to lessen the severity of your offenses with the above comments, it shows you have neither the maturity nor responsibility for this profession.

Also, this is a highly stressful job and since you already have a problem knowing when you have had too much and are incapable of making responsible decisions, most would be hesitant to help send you down the path of alocholism.

You are a liability. Most departments will not hire you if you have had a DUI in the past 7-10 years. I think you got a little wait ahead of you. Maybe you will grow up in that time.

I for one do not want someone taking care of people when they can not even take care of themselves and act so irresponsibile.

I think one of your biggest problems is going to be finding a service that will carry you under their insurance with the driving record that you have, as others have mentioned, it's not impossible and not necessarily out of the question, but you are behind the 8 ball...