Lesson Plans?

Hi, I was asked by my department to create some sort of lesson plan to teach our police officers basic ems. Those attending will primarily be from Tactical/SOD Units. I was thinking GSW treatments, use of QuikClot, Israeli Bandages, and maybe using a King Airway. Anybody have any other ideas? I was thinking this class might be 2-3 days. Does anybody have any lesson plans that might be associated with this? Any help is appreciated...

This is not going to be a tactical medic class....this is primiarily for non-medical personal to self-aid and buddy aid.

Essentially ABC's but with more emphasis on stopping the bleeding....I'm really open to any ideas. These people will not be "certified" to be medical operators. Its just knowledge for them should something happen in the field and they need to help themselves/others until further aid arrives.

Asrnj77, it looks like you are just focusing on self and buddy aid techniques. Do the units have medical standard operating procedures and immediate action drills (SOP's & IAD's) in place. It may be beneficial if you can get everybody on the same page and focus on teaching a few easy to perform IAD's. (ie apply a tourniquet to a profusely bleeding extremity) It is also crucial to develop SOP's (ie every team member carries a Combat Application Tourniquet and a battle dressing in their left pant cargo pocket) Then, you can spend a couple of days training and getting everybody on the same page. A basic SOP and a few well rehearsed IAD's would be a great start. It would also be helpful to make an IAD check list for skill verification and continuing education. Having hard copies of the SOP and IAD's will help with skill retention. Some people hate SOP's, but it give you a constant variable to work from when everything goes bad, and it is nice to know where everybody has their gear placed.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

chbare.

I agree with Chbare. You may want to see what the Internet can provide you on Tactical Casualty Combat Care. IT is some new techniques and ways of doing things the military has come up with. This would be similar to what you are looking at. If you have any military contacts, you may want to look into getting info on the Combat Lifesaver Course. I do not think any of the information in it is classified. Contact me and I will see what I can dig up.

Sarge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.