PCP's calling themselves paramedics....

TORONTO

PCP = 1 bar

ICP = 2 bars

ACP = 3 bars

CCP = 3 bars with CRITICAL CARE

Lithium is basically correct, though I have never heard of a "Level 2" being called an ICP. In all reality the "Level 2" scope of practice should be the PCP scope with all the new provincial additions.

Toronto generally calls their paramedics by the number of bars, not PCP, ACP, CCP...Basically one bar = Level 1, 2 = Level 2, etc...CCP are called "critical care" or "CCTU" not "Level 4"

I personally like the bar format over Peel's "Primary Care" or "Advanced Care" Paramedic epaulets. I could see how the general public could see them as seniority bars, instead of "level" bars but...I dunno, it looks "cleaner" to me...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durham's striping is actually like this...

One bar - Grandfarthered Non-EMCA certified

Two bars - PCP

Three bars - ACP

Like the rest of the province except TO and Air we have no CCPs.

But that brings us back to the point earlier in the topic where those One Bar's are still paramedics by law...

Cheers.

Durham's striping is actually like this...

One bar - Grandfarthered Non-EMCA certified

Two bars - PCP

Three bars - ACP

Like the rest of the province except TO and Air we have no CCPs.

But that brings us back to the point earlier in the topic where those One Bar's are still paramedics by law...

Cheers.

WTF does that mean? Are they PCP's? Can they do SR/Defib? Is it just that they were hired prior to the EMCA testing/college program? Are they literally just drivers/vital sign takers/lifters?

I don't get it because I am positive we probably have quite a number who fall into this "grandfathered non-emca" category (probably 50+), but they have no differentiation as in Durham.

They are certified to perform SR/Defib and do everything else a PCP can. The only difference is that they do not have their EMCA certificate. No different than the TO guys you mentioned. The difference is only in the uniform - 1 stripe whereas AEMCA certified gets 2 or 3.

I believe the era is coming to an end shortly where 'grandfathered' medics will be allowed to work in the province. We only have 2 as far as I know.

John

I know this topic is a few days old but I wanted to add something.

Even though this # of Bars issue is quite minor I think we all agree that there should be some kind of uniform system in place within the province. I was doing a medivac transfer with two medics with two strips on their epaulettes....to me I was thinking "oh Primary Care Paramedics with expanded scope...neat..." I asked them they said they were both Advanced Care. Yet from Canadian Helicopter (or the OAA now) the CCPs have four, ACPs have three, and Primary Care (only in Moosonee and Kenora) have one stripe.

Why does everyone not use the same system. My situation with PCP+ didn't change anything compared to them being ACPs but still nice to know.

Maybe if the Ontario ever gets a college we'll have a province wide system that sorts out all minor and major issues with reciprocity....even Saskatchewan has a college now...lets get this going.

Don't worry. I'm going to execute a hostile takeover of EMS administration in Ontario in two years.

I'll standardise the stripes, get you out of those stupid striped blue uniforms, get you off of those horrible rotating shifts, up your scope of practise, and abolish the GTA consolidated testing system.

And there will be much rejoicing.

Any other requests?

Don't worry. I'm going to execute a hostile takeover of EMS administration in Ontario in two years.

I'll standardise the stripes, get you out of those stupid striped blue uniforms, get you off of those horrible rotating shifts, up your scope of practise, and abolish the GTA consolidated testing system.

And there will be much rejoicing.

Any other requests?

Ummm, consume the US EMS system as well, considering your grand plans there Dusthovah?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.