PCP's calling themselves paramedics....

OK...I have been bothered by this for a long long time and the post about missing obvious things has made me think that I will start a new post. This has nothing to do with missing things however, the post has swayed in a different direction.

Anyways....what I am wanting to say is...

Is it just me or are there other people out there that it bothers them when PCP's call themselves paramedics? I was trained as a PCP but by no means do I call myself as paramedic. (for those that may not know, a PCP stands for Primary Care Paramedic) A PCP is a glorified EMT. It is the same course with a few upgrades to it. We can do a few more drugs, we are educated with more A&P and can do a few more skills, but other than that, we are still basically EMT's. I understand with the NOCP they want everybody to be a level of paramedic...PCP, ACP, CCP. They stated that being called some type of paramedic would help alleviate the confusion for the public. To most, anyone working in an ambulance is a paramedic because they see that on TV. It doesn't matter if you are a EMR or a medic, you are referred to as a medic. I feel that it is misinforming the public when we call ourselves a paramedic. To most people in the general public, when they hear that you are a paramedic, they automatically assume that you are capable of performing all the skills that a "PARAMEDIC" (ACP or CCP) can. This, to me is very misleading. I talked to a PCP from Ontario (I won't state his name) about employment opportunities in Alberta and Saskatchewan. I was told by this person that Ontario has no BLS...they are ALL medics. Then I found out that he was a PCP. Is that misleading or what?

Anyway, I feel better now that I have stated my point. I was just wondering if it was just me or if this bothers anyone else.

Thanks for reading. :?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When ever a see the, "Hey, we're all paramedics over here" posts I just roll my eyes, nod my head, and say yes. Paramedic, just like doctor, nurse, and EMT, is just a title. Anyone who gets off on the title or the initials behind their name is a wacker. What you do with that education is more important then the title you get to claim.

Does it really matter?

The dictionary describes a Paramedic as "related to the medical profession in a supplementary capacity, usually in a pre hospital environment"

Using the same dictionary a technician is described as "one skilled in the technique of an art, as music or painting"

Based on this I think Paramedic as a generic term is more appropriate that EMT.

The use of terms within that - PCP , ICP etc is probably the best way to define skills further & is more for use within the service you work.

The notion of keeping the name Paramedic for those with IC training only further pushes the elitist notion & is not needed.

In many cases, our patients do not know the difference & most can be supported with BLS until backup arrives.

Neesie,

Um what part of Primary Care PARAMEDIC don't you get??? If you are called a PCP and the last P stands for what TYPE of PARAMEDIC you are then why can't you call yourself a PARAMEDIC? Should the Advanced Care PARAMEDIC have to call themselves something different? Or the Critical Care PARAMEDIC?

The reality of what the public thinks is not that they wash us all with the term PARAMEDIC and know what that may or may not mean. To most we are Ambulance Drivers. Not a very accurate term I know but then again when have you known the public to be accurate on anything that is not part of their own little lives?

aussiephil makes the best point. If you are going to split hairs then consult a dictionary and look to the exact meaning. Better yet worry about taking care of the patient to the best of your ability and skill set and stop worrying what title you have.

Ambulance Al

Primary Care Ambulance Driver Paramedic

A PCP is a glorified EMT.

You are talking from the perspective of your province so I will talk from the perspective of mine.

I have said this before an I will say it again. My 2-year non-CMA PCP program contained 85%+ of the same didactic material that my 1-year CMA ACP program did. In a lot of cases PCP was even more in depth and comprehensive. The main differences between my PCP and ACP education were that ACP didactic had finer points and more in depth on some topics, clinical was slightly different (intubations obviously and some aspects of patient care in the ER, as a reference point I started as many IV's in PCP as in ACP), and obviously preceptorship is different.

If your PCP education sucked and was only slightly different from EMT (are you saying EMT in your province or American EMT-B?) than that is too bad. I seriously hope you aren't comparing PCP to EMT-B...SERIOUSLY hope you aren't.

PCP didactic in Ontario (at least when I took it) comes close to, meets, or exceeds most of the US EMT-P education from the impression I get from these boards. Ya, scope of practice may suck as a PCP but whatever, that is why you go for ACP and CCP. At least you have an excellent foundation to build on...

But by the same token, why not call only CCP's "paramedics". They have a far greater scope than land ALS (for the most part). Then what there would only be about 500 (if that) paramedics in the entire country...

I've always felt that the term "technician" refers to someone who is trained to operate and maintain equipment and materials within a specific job description. Sure, we're all responsible for operating the equipment, driving, and so on... But our training and skills go far beyond that. Right now in Ontario, 2 years of training is the minimum amount of education required for new PCPs. Many have beyond this level of training, however. I did my honours psychology degree before starting my PCP training, and I thought it would be a piece of cake by comparison. Wrong! It's a very intense, challenging course that gives students a good all-round exposure to the medical field, and prehospital care in general.

I've seen great PCPs who are worthy of being considered true medical professionals. I've also seen some less-motivated ones, who might not really care much about the underlying principles of disease or in-hospital care. But for the most part, they're as much a part of the medical system as the nurses and doctors in the hospital...

That being said, I'd like to see more PCPs being able to start IVs and intubate. Some services allow this, and I think it would be a good idea, since we're trained in it in college, and it would give us an additional skill in our repertoire. Every little bit helps, in the struggle of being recognized as professionals.

I agree with Dude and VS. PCP is not a misnomer. Unlike an EMT in the US, they are not merely technicians. They are not trained. They are educated. And utilising that education, they conduct in-depth physical assessments of patients in order to come to an advanced clinical impression and make subsequent medical decisions. If you have not spent any time in the US system -- where EMT school can be completed in as little as two weeks -- you simply have no idea what a HUGE difference there is between an EMT and a PCP. In fact, EMT's in the country should probably be renamed to FAT, or "first aid technician," because they are not given the education necessary to actually make medical decisions. They are only given a cookbook of techniques, which they very rarely use anyhow.

Neesie, I am very, very disappointed that you don't seem to recognise the difference between education and scope of practise. The way to measure medical professionalism is not by asking, "what can you do?" The way to measure medical professionalism is by asking, "what do you know?"

After 4 years in school, a degree in Paramedicine, and passing the AEMCA I think I should be able to call myself a "Paramedic."

Do you not think that the title is earned by the education (even if just 2 years) and critical thinking abilities rather than the skills that can be performed?

To most people in the general public, when they hear that you are a paramedic, they automatically assume that you are capable of performing all the skills that a "PARAMEDIC" (ACP or CCP) can. This, to me is very misleading.

Do you really think that the public thinks at all about the scope of the person who comes with the ambulance when they call 911?

I think when people hear you are a Paramedic they assume you have an ambulance and will drive them to the hospital.

I think when people hear you are a Paramedic they assume you have an ambulance and will drive them to the hospital.

While that may be true in a great many cases, it is also exactly what we are trying to change. Therefore, I wouldn't simply accept that as it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.