Abusing the system, pointing out the obvious, am I a racist?

As an EMT (and Paramedic student), I work with all kinds of people all day long. Yet most of what I see is people who have exacerbated their medical problems through neglect of their health and failure to comply with their prescribed treatment. Simple things, like taking a daily walk, filling their blood pressure medications, or checking their blood sugar seem to be beyond these people.

Very few of my patients pay full price for their medication, most get their medication and supplies free through Medicaid and Medicare. Yet they continue to neglect their health until they require a costly ambulance ride, ER visit, and hospital admission. Costly, for the taxpayers that is. (And if the responsibility does all on them, it still won't be paid and it doesn't matter that it might negatively affect their credit, you don't need credit if you're going to live in Section 8-subsidized housing your entire life). Most of the projects in my city have their own free health clinics within a mile! In my opinion, these people are criminally abusing the system.

I'm not greedy. I'm not a conservative who thinks the answer to every problem is to lower taxes and "downsize the government". In fact, I would have no problem with how much I pay in taxes if it went to the right places, like universal preventative healthcare that people comply with, alternative energy research, or an AIDS vaccine. But it's hard to be compassionate for people who have no compassion for themselves.

Do they not realize that they are killing themselves? And I can't help but say it, most of these patients are African-American, who are more prone to certain types of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer than any other demographic, it's a fact. When are people going to start taking better care of themselves? When are people going to take charge of their lives, on the most basic fundamental level as their own health?

Should non-compliant patients lose their state benefits? Should people who skip out on paying for avoidable hospital visits be arrested?

All I know is that I work hard every week for my healthcare benefits, food, and housing (and can afford little else). I try to take care of myself, my property, and my belongings. And I provide free transportation for dozens of people who abuse the system time and time again, and it's my fault, because I'm white, "middle class", and went to college.

Anyone else feel like I do?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One theory is that higher social classes have more time to teach their children about proper health, have time to watch their kids more, teach proper manners and responsibilities. This can be carried over to responsibilities and importance of caring for their own health when they become adults. It doesn't necessarily have to be racial, but more socio-econimc.

Your not being a racist, your stating your observations, and your not alone...

It has nothing to due with being racist, it's all about how you choose to live your life. It's sad that a lot of people are content with living off the government or more specifically, us, the people that bust our ass for a living. I disapprove of their lifestyles and wish that the government did nothing more but make them help themselves. But instead we unwillingly get to help them support their lifestyles. There's no doubt that being in EMS you see the facts of these situations everyday, we deal with these people on a routine basis. There's no doubt in my mind that they account for the largest percentage of our work and the largest percentage of non-payment for services. I'm not going to single out any one or more race(s), because it's not just limited to one. We see the harsh reality of it all on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with not having a fair chance at life or anything else, it's about caring enough to make the right decisions and working hard to get what you want.

Yes, you are racist.

Wow, how insightful :roll: .

Easy for someone from Ontario to say, which is what, 80-90% caucasian I believe? I also think Ontario has the highest per-capita-income of all the Canadian provinces.

While my city is immediately surrounded by the 1st, 15th, 18th, and 21st most wealthy cities in Georgia (based on per capita income), my response area ranks 180th in the state. Georgia is the 24th most wealthy state in the union, but that doesn't mean much, considering it's the largest state East of the Mississippi it should be much higher. My city is also 38% Caucasian.

One theory is that higher social classes have more time to teach their children about proper health, have time to watch their kids more, teach proper manners and responsibilities. This can be carried over to responsibilities and importance of caring for their own health when they become adults. It doesn't necessarily have to be racial, but more socio-econimc.

Good point.

Maybe decent health education doesn't exist out there. We're all familiar with the dismal sex education teens are recieiving (at school or at home, just look at the STD and teen pregnancy rates).

I am aware of programs in my city and others which train barbers to check blood pressures and church-based health clinics (which definitely reach into the African-American, Hispanic, and Asian-American communties, who are overwhelming more socially-centered around churches than Whites).

Easy for someone from Ontario to say, which is what, 80-90% caucasian I believe?

LOL! I feel you on this issue, bro. But you're way off on that one. Ever been to Toronto? Ever been in an ER there? You'd be surprised how non-Caucasian it is.

But then again, compared to Atlanta, pretty much anyplace but New Orleans is more Caucasian.

Easy for someone from Ontario to say, which is what, 80-90% caucasian I believe? I also think Ontario has the highest per-capita-income of all the Canadian provinces.

Hmmmm, let's see...

Toronto is probably the most multicultural and ethnically diverse city in the world (often cited). Toronto's population makes up between 25-33% of the entire province. So ya...I am well aware of the "problem" with "minorities" and the health care system.

I don't know about the whole highest income per capita thing, but I can assure you my friend, Ontario and Toronto aren't exactly shangralah's walking on gold streets and sipping champagne in your rocket car.

I am not sure it was a good idea to post this in the manner you did, th. I don't get the impression you dislike a person based on their race, but there is a distasteful tinge to the way you approached this subject- nothing blatant, just not necessarily a good idea. The fact that you are sharing your experiences and frustration is fine, but there are plenty of people from every race that do not have the necessary life skills to effectively help themselves. Personally, I think a discussion on how to approach the subject of the abuse or misuse of the system is a good subject, but there was no need to mention race. Socio-economic issues are where the problem will likely be found, regardless of race. Mabye vs was a little harsh, but I can see his reaction being a common one.

Personally, I feel that life skills are not taught enough in schools. Public education is trying to teach people from all walks of life and in doing so should be able to assist those persons who do not have a good background or parents that are able to educate their children in the proper way to deal with their healthcare or even how to balance a checkbook. The failing of current education is the fact that the basic cognitive methods are taught, but little instruction is given on why the information is important or how it applies to everyday life.

Everyone makes a good point. I have elderly patients who tell me they don't have enough money for food and meds, so they have to choose which is more important. Then I have welfare recepients who have more gold jewlery and a nicer car than i do handing me a medicaid card demanding transport by ambulance for a cough because they think they will get seen faster. (I love taking them to triage) That's what makes me mad. The goverment treats our elderly and vets like crap but give the illegals and welfare cases everything. I'm sorry they can't keep their legs closed and have 10 kids. Can you say manditory sterilization!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.