patient attire

Lithium

Do/will you dress your patient for the ER?  

57 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, for the most part works well!
    • No, never thought about it before but will give it a try!
    • Not a chance, tis not my job!

We also carry gowns in our units. If my patient calls me its because it is an emergency. There wont be time for them to get dressed and they shouldnt expect me to help do so. They call because they need immediate care and or treatment. If my patient is still conscious and running around in underwear or nakie then yes I'll have them grab a robe. If its an unconscious, undressed patient then I'll attempt to throw something over top my patient.

Im not paticularly interested in seeing things that might mark me for life, thank you very much.

We also do ECGs but the placement of the leads is very easy to get even in the fully dressed patient. If they are wearring heavy clothing (such as winter jackets etc) I will quickly explain the whys of what it is I need to do and will assist them if need be in the removing of that article of clothing so I can have access for that lead placement.

As a medical proffesional, the least of my worries is what Joe/Jane is wearring at that given moment.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comanche wrote:

If my patient calls me its because it is an emergency. There wont be time for them to get dressed and they shouldn't expect me to help do so. They call because they need immediate care and or treatment

Hmmm.........Interesting thought. It would be nice if half the calls I went on there was a need for immediate care and treatment. I would take thirty-percent. However their definition of an emergency and my definition of an emergency seem to differ considerably.

So I will usually find an article of clothing to put on them, or cover them with. I don't drag half naked people out of their houses, unless I have a reason to. I don't live in a climate thats sunny and seventy year round and the blankets we acquire from the hospitals I could spit through.

Does it take a extended period of time to find something for them to throw on, so they don't freeze to death?

I don't think we should be disrobing and putting gowns on every patient. However with that said if you're going to need a 12 lead then why not have them take their shirt off and put the gown on. It's going to be done in the ER anyways and it will make it easier to get all the leads on. Seems like something that should be up to the individual medic, not something that the ER should be expecting us to do. Also not every college girl who falls needs a gown. :D

Well since I voted ill throw in my 2 cents...

The only time we put a johnny on them (gowns in these here parts) is if we have to disrobe for trauma assessment or 12-lead. I don't know about your parts, but if we had a forearm laceration, brought the woman in and had changed her to a gown the hospital would call our service. Even in the ER they wouldn't change someone for a forearm suture if they had it exposed fine, so why change them in the box?

On that note most traumas where we need full exposure to treat(cant see it cant treat it-- give credit above to the first guy who quoted this old one) get a blanket not a gown, because the first thing they get in the hospital is necked, they have do there assessment, and if we have them in a gown they would have to remove it.

Right thats about 3 cents so I'm out.

Whit perhaps you might want to check the link below. You say 30% are true emergencies?! waw, I'm going to relocate to where you are mate. Sounds much funner than where we are here...in EMS only about 5% of calls are true emergencies.....

No one, me included would ever take a patient half naked as you described. If that patient calls because they are having an "emergency" as in him/her, the patient, the individual hurt or sick which is where you seemed to have some difficulties undestanding my post they should not expect me to help them pack their wardrobe. "They call, We haul" end of story.

If on the other hand my pt was undressed then yes (for god's sake) I'm going to throw something on them! If its a sweet old lady who has trouble getting around and wants something extra to cover herself, then yes I will help her! Bed side manners mate.

Here is for you mate http://www.readingcomprehensionconnection.com/

Five-percent of your calls are true emergencies?

I stated I would not take a person from a residence half naked. Anywhere in that statement did I make reference to you? I don't believe so.

This thread was not about packing a wardrobe, it was about pt attire. Correct?

Commanche wrote:

If my patient calls me its because it is an emergency. There wont be time for them to get dressed and they shouldnt expect me to help do so. They call because they need immediate care and or treatment.

Then you wrote this:

whit perhaps you might want to check the link below. You say 30% are true emergencies?! waw, I'm going to relocate to where you are mate. Sounds much funner than where we are here...in EMS only about 5% of calls are true emergencies.....

So yes I am a little confused, I however don't think it has anything to do with my reading comprehension.

However if I was the source of the confusion I apologize.

Im not paticularly interested in seeing things that might mark me for life, thank you very much.

Don't you wish you had thought of that before you came to Dallas? :wink:

P.S. I got my Apple!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.