Robin Safety Boy Shears

Anyone have a pair or tried a pair? Im seriously looking into them. So far, the only bad things I have heard are:

1. The price

2. The size

3. The weight

Well I can afford the ~$60 and the size & weight (almost 1lb.) are not a big deal to me.

Just wanting some opinions from ya'll.

they can be seen and purchased at:

www.bigshears.com

www.aeromedix.com

I recieved a set as a Christmas present. They cut through everything. Yeah, they're heavy, but it's the bulk that bugs me. It tends to snag or bang against things if you've got them on you. If it's in a jump bag, no big deal. If you're going to carry them on you, take into account the bulkiness of the things.

I've yet to use them on a call though.

I recieved a set as a Christmas present. They cut through everything. Yeah, they're heavy, but it's the bulk that bugs me. It tends to snag or bang against things if you've got them on you. If it's in a jump bag, no big deal. If you're going to carry them on you, take into account the bulkiness of the things.

I've yet to use them on a call though.

Big Shears.com has a holster that carries them horizontally in the small of your back so they're outta the way. i just ordered a pair so ill post pics & review when they're in, and bein that I work at a trauma center, it won't be long 'till i test them out on all kinds of fabric.

Great shears, no doubt. But a total waste of money for the job you work.

I never had a problem getting fabric, or any other clothes off of anybody in the ER with regular shears.

My money says you won't have them in your scrubs for more than one shift before sticking them in your jump bag and leaving them there.

Great shears, no doubt. But a total waste of money for the job you work.

I never had a problem getting fabric, or any other clothes off of anybody in the ER with regular shears.

My money says you won't have them in your scrubs for more than one shift before sticking them in your jump bag and leaving them there.

well, im also a firefighter, and will wear em with the sheath thats coming with them, while im on duty, i just have more oppertunities to use them at the hospital. from cutting the umbilical tape we use to secure ETTs, to cutting cravats, casts, and splints off pt's, to cutting chaps off that are never cut in the field.

I had a pair of Robin's safety scissors in the early 90's and managed to keep them up until about 2 years ago, I was hired as a fire fighter paramedic for a fire department and went from carrying the shears in a jailer's style key silencer to my turnout pockets. Bad move, the weight of the shears caused them to fall out all the time unless I took conscious note as to their position. At last they found a new home where I'm note sure I only hope that well after a decade of use the person that has them takes good care of them.

I did really enjoy them when I worked in the private ambulance industry, I you are looking to spend money put the additional money into your stethoscope you'll use that on every patient.

Got them today. tried em out on some old socks. cut through them like a hot knife to butter when i wadded the socks in a ball and cut em in 2!!

heres pics of them and the holster(arent good pics of the holster on the website). this thing is as bad ass as the shears!

RobinBoy1_thumb.jpg

RobinBoy2_thumb.jpg

RobinBoy3_thumb.jpg

RobinBoy4_thumb.jpg

RobinBoy5_thumb.jpg

RobinBoy6_thumb.jpg

RobinBoy7_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have carried a pair of these shears since 1999, they have never failed. Other than the added weight I don't mind toting them around. I have had them everywhere from structure fires to medical aid calls, wild land fires, traffic collisions, and even put them through several pretty demanding years of service in the racing industry ( on and off track rescue). I am looking forward to many more years of service from them. Unless someone decides that they like them better than I do, at that point I will replace them. Also I have yet to have them sharpened, they are still cutting almost as good as they did when they first came out of the box. OH YEAH!! Another benefit from these shears is the priceless looks you get from your patients and by-standers when you whip out a pair these things and go to work on someone. ................. Jim in Elko

I am curious if any of you have actually encountered a situation where these shears were actually the answer to a problem that could not have solved by standard $3.50 trauma shears.

I'm sure such situations occasionally arise, but it's awful damn rare. Can you describe some for us?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.