Vol. EMS service for Schools???

We have about 502 hours in the program i am taking. We are a nationally accredited school. I love our program i just wish there was a way for us to do stuff on breaks and summer to better our assesment skill and other skills. that is all this post was for. I am not for sure if it would work, but if it was a vol thing why could they not mutual assist or something with the city that the college was in so there would be a higher call volume? that was my whole point.

Brock

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JPIN :

I agree with you completely in the fact that you should know why you are giving the care you are giving. That goes for anything, splinting, oxygen, albuterol, or valium. You should be able to tell me why you are giving the drug, what it should do, what side effects can occur and the indications why and why not to give it. This is basic knowledge that anyone should know before being allowed to touch anything. And yes people, contrary to the almighty belief O2 is a drug. It requires a physician's prescription to obtain (don't know what's up with the O2 bars-WTF?) I would like to see the basic program extended to about a year in length. I think 3,4 months is hardly enough to adequately cover the care one will need to give on an ambulance. Around here, the turnover rate is so high, you cannot depend on always having a "veteran" to pair the partner up with. The demand for EMS people is so great you have many students literally waiting to get their basic results so they can start medic class with nothing more than 10 hours of ER or ambulance ride time and a minimum of 4 patient contacts (most of which I might add are nursing home transfers). There are a few programs which do additional ride time that exceeds the state requirement such as mine did, but those are few and far between. I recently started riding students, and I am amazed at the lack of knowledge. The sad thing is, I know they will be on a truck somewhere within just a few weeks of the time they spent with me (usually they ride two or three weeks before testing). When they get on a truck, they have no clue how to treat a patient, and the oh crap factor is extremely high. I had one student which rode with me (already graduated just waiting for results) that literally walked off a scene after seeing an accident saying, "this ain't how it was in the book ! This is BAD !" (guy vs cop cruiser, cruiser 1, guy 0). I think basic class is too easy and the requirements need to be increased, especially for those riding on an ALS truck. You may just be driving, but you'll be asked to spike bags, get out drugs, set up intubation equipment, etc. My department does a great class for new basics called "Medic Assistance". It's really helpful, we run them through alot of the scenarios dealt with and actually play it out at our training facility. They say they feel alot more prepared. Plus, after class, they all spend time on the ambulance riding and perfecting skills before they are allowed to test. We turn out some really nice basics too. They will make excellent medics some day. Few realize it is one way in the book, and then very, very different on the street. The rules still apply, just in a different format. Have to learn to adapt. If working with a college service or rescue squad allows them to develop their skills in taking vitals, starting IV's, whatever. Then by all means do it. The more education we can give, the better professionals we will have. After all, most drunks in college I knew had great veins. Good sticking education :twisted: Later

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.