Poly Heme

1EMT-P

What do you think about Poly Heme being used in the field?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1. I am for Poly Heme being used in the field.
    • 2. I am against Poly Heme being used.

What do you think about Poly Heme being used in the field?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another way to spend some money, but if it will increase survivability even marginally, it would be worth having.

I'm against the current study. There's been questionable studies/results, so I think there should have been an intermediate study before doing this widespread study giving it to people who don't know what they're getting or the dangers about it.

I voted yes on the studies for PolyHeme, but I am concerned that this is just another "world changing" advance that in the end will have caused more harm than good. Yet, we do need something to replace volume and restore hemoglobin levels, so we must give PolyHeme and Hemopure a chance.

AnthonyM83 don't forget to vote, as of this post there are not any votes against the study. It will be interesting to see the outcome on this vote.

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

Poly-Heme has received a lot of un-do criticism because of the studies. The studies is not any different than most other pharmacological outcomes however; because of the substance it is being over exaggerated.

There needs to be more studies, and there is no other way except on human models. Again, many are confusing that this is a blood substitute, (which it is definitely not) only a temporary oxygen carrying fluid, until PRBC can be administered. Once. the flaws has been scientifically worked out, the uses in the prehospital arena is endless.

Be safe,

R/r 911

We need human studies on Poly-Heme. We need to find out one way or the other just how effective Poly-Heme and other oxygen carrying fluids are.

Take care,

chbare.

Once. the flaws has been scientifically worked out, the uses in the prehospital arena is endless.
Shouldn't these flaws be worked out on smaller scale studies to minimize risk to unsuspecting patients? Apparently there have been a couple abruptly ended studies which results/reasons not known and another where results were initially hidden where 10 of 81 polyheme recepients suffered heart attacks within 7 days, 2 of them fatal. Zero out of the 71 real blood patients had the heart attacks.

I'm all for science and understand the need for this study, but disagree from the jump of 10 our of 81 having heart attacks and 2 dying to let's do a massive widespread study. How about some intermediate studies to be sure about what went wrong???? No one thinks this is a good intermediate step ? ? ? ?

I think that there needs to be some additional studies done on Poly-Heme before it is used in the field.

The Pros of Poly-Heme are: 1. That it might improve survival after trauma. 2. That patients might avoid the risks associated with blood transfusions. 3. That patients might avoid a decrease in internal organ damage/ function.

The Cons of Poly-Heme are: 1. That it might cause death. 2. That it might cause internal organ damage. 3. That patients might become infected with Hepatitis or HIV. 4. That it might cause a rash. 5. That it might cause a temporary increase in blood pressure.

Shouldn't these flaws be worked out on smaller scale studies to minimize risk to unsuspecting patients? Apparently there have been a couple abruptly ended studies which results/reasons not known and another where results were initially hidden where 10 of 81 polyheme recepients suffered heart attacks within 7 days, 2 of them fatal. Zero out of the 71 real blood patients had the heart attacks.

I'm all for science and understand the need for this study, but disagree from the jump of 10 our of 81 having heart attacks and 2 dying to let's do a massive widespread study. How about some intermediate studies to be sure about what went wrong???? No one thinks this is a good intermediate step ? ? ? ?

If 10 of 81 patients actually had a heart attack during the study, it never would have gone farther. Where are you getting your info? Care to share some links?

Not even fen-fen was quite that bad...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.