Stupid things Doctor's offices do

Got dispatched today to our local mall for an injured person. Our additional was to respond to the department store entrance for an 82 year old female who fell, and has a head injury.

We respond to said store, and are then directed to the parking lot. The patient and her friend (also elderly) are in a legal parking space, some distance from the mall. A mall employee arrives, and directs us to the vehicle. The patient is sitting in the front passenger seat, showing us a bump on the back of her head.

She was on the escalator with her friend, when she turned just prior to reaching her floor. Her moving feet caught the stationary floor, and she fell. Luckily, her friend caught her by the arm, preventing a nasty spill. But her head still hit something. (She shopped until she dropped...sorry, I couldn't resist). After the fall, she stood up, she and her friend walked to the car. They started driving, and exited the mall looking for lunch. Her headache increased, so as they left the mall for the highway. They called her FMD so she could make an appointment. The office was closed ( for Aardvark day*), so they left a message. As they were driving toward the FMD's office, someone from the office returned her phone call. The told her to return to the scene of the fall, and call 911.?!?!?!?!?

She walked out of the scene, and sat in the car. She was being driving toward her FMD, and multiple hospitals. Since the patient was alert and oriented, why didn't they tell her to drive to a local hospital??? She could have been at a related FMD's office or a hospital, and being seen, by the time we arrived. ???

*(Aardvark day. Any holiday, usually celebrated by school teachers. It is not a federal, state, or local holiday. It is only a day that a selected group of (union) people get a paid holiday off, for no apparent reason., and you need to find day care for your children.)

Sounds like a so called "nurse" (no-formal education required); got a case of law suit itits. Got jerky... going to a loca ER, the Doc;s would had probably told her of the dangers, or if she had a syncopal episode while enroute.. oops!

R/r 911

Having recently worked in a medical lab I think I might have an answer here. Many times when calling results, or having a Doctor's office call us, we had to deal with a receptionist. Most receptionists have absolutely no medical knowledge, but yet many times they will try to appear that they do. You would not believe some of the stupid stuff I have heard. To make it worse some of them are temps with no Dr's office experience at all.

So I am theorizing that might be who called the patient back and told her such an asinine thing to do.

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

The office was closed ( for Aardvark day)

[T]he aardvark is cautious upon leaving its burrow. It comes to the entrance and stands there motionless for several minutes. Then it suddenly leaps out in powerful jumps. At about 30 feet out it stops, raises up on its legs, perks up its ears and turns its head in all directions. If there are no sounds, it makes a few more leaps and finally moves at a slow trot to look for food.

When in danger the aardvark takes to the nearest hole, or rapidly excavates one, pushing the dirt backwards with its feet and moving the dirt away with its tail. But if cornered, it defends itself by sitting up, using its tail, shoulders and foreclaws - or it will lie on its back and strike with all four feet.

Although not thought to be teritorial, females seem to become attached to a particular place.

Any questions?

There is one doctor I know who hires pretty girls with no medical know-how.

And then give me at least ONE nurse who knows how to work in close without getting her tits in my way.

Is it really too much to ask for? dunno.gif

Having recently worked in a medical lab I think I might have an answer here.

Having both worked as an office practice nurse AND dealt with a lot of elderly people in my career, I think I might have an answer here. The elderly woman misunderstood what the "nurse" told her on the phone. That is the most probable of all possible scenarios.

But yeah, there are a lot of worthless "nurses" in a lot of doctors offices. Many of them are EMTs. 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.