Trimming the Fat

Which level do you eliminate?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• First responder
    • EMT Basic
    • Intermediate
    • Paramedic

Even as a basic, I see way too many hot shot idiots on 911 performing at the basic level. Really, think about it, for the most part basic certification is no more than being rewarded for showing up to a class, reading at a 8th grade level, and passing some basic skills . I agree with Aysin and Dust if money is no object dual medic crews for 911! However for cost effectiveness in the current world. Basic drivers work OK too.

I've seen two ambulances with HFD that had paramedics as the drivers and EMT's as the incharge. Gotta love that EO test. :D

I do wonder what the argument for removing paramedics is, I noticed someone selected that one.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder what the argument for removing paramedics is, I noticed someone selected that one.
:shock: I get it Nate. I think the person who selected eliminate Paramedic wants to return to 60's. Must have been a bad acid flashback.

Most likely though, they checked the wrong box. #-o I hope.

Elininate the basic level. There is no reason to have a level that is equivalent to boy scout first aid training with the added bonus of blood pressures and oxygen.

That said, as a matter of protocol, if the intermediate is using an ALS treatment, it must be done either while waiting for a paramedic to respond, or enroute to the nearest facility if the facility is closer then the paramedic. They do not get to sit around and try to stabilize the patient.

It is not uncommon in our system for medics to triage and downgrade runs to basic level and drive us in.

No, they don't treat at all. They are just the EO, all they do is drive. :shock:

I don't downgrade calls that often...it has to be a stubbed toe for me to not ride it. If I make the trip out there, I'll make the trip to the ER.

This is how I would restructure things in chbare's magical world of OZ. I would keep the 110 hour Basic EMT curriculum, this would become the first responder level of training. The first responder could not be in the back of an ambulance, with the exception of clinicals and 3rd riding. I would blend the EMT B and EMT I. The entry level EMS provider would simply be an EMT. The EMT skills would be similar to the EMT I/85. (national standard skills) The EMT education would be similar to LPN education. It would be one year long and include 1 year of A&P, 1 year of English, 1 semester of college level math, 1 semester of psychology, nutrition, molecular biology/micro biology and government. The EMT would be the entry level EMS provider The next level would be the Paramedic. At a minimum, the paramedic would attend another year of school beyond the EMT and complete a semester of pharmacology and chemistry. The paramedic would have an AAS at a minimum. The paramedic would also be a licensed provider. In addition, federal law would mandate that every ambulance would be staffed with 1 paramedic. This is just my opinion, so if you do not like it, disregard this entire post.

Take care everybody,

chbare.

Several people have checked paramedics- Why?

The FR level should be done away with. There is no point in allowing anyone trained below the current EMT-B level to touch a patient. All transporting units should require an EMT-I at a minimum- and that is just to appease the most rural of areas. Any metro or suburban area should require the assigned drivers to be EMT-I's and require a medic to be assinged at all times.

The question is really too simplistic.

I don't so much advocate the elimination of any level as I do radically increasing the educational requirements for each level. Ideally, it would be a combination of those two proposals that would elevate the profession. For example:

• Elevate First Responder training to the level of the EMT-B.

Elevate EMT-B education to (at the very least) a year long program with the EMT-I scope of practise.

Eliminate the EMT-I level, as it is now redundant.

Elevate EMT-P education to (at the very least) a two year program (including EMT-:lol: with the current scope of practise.

• And, of course, get rid of the silly EMT title altogether since we will now be educated professionals instead of trained technicians.

And, of course, get rid of the silly EMT title altogether since we will now be educated professionals instead of trained technicians.

When I said this, I got hounded for trying to play semantics.

(Also, good thing I am over weight or I might have never looked at this thread. Maybe title could have been different to better show what thread is about)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.