Trimming the Fat

Which level do you eliminate?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• First responder
    • EMT Basic
    • Intermediate
    • Paramedic

You have been given absolute power for a day. In your new capacity you have decided to eliminate one level of current EMT certification. Budget is no concern, and everyone will support your choice. Which one do you choose?

1. First Responder

2. EMT

3. Intermediate(PCP in Canada)

4. Paramedic (ACP in Canada)

I'm guessing a bit as far as the equivalency with Canadian levels, so work with me a bit.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eliminate from what? From existence, or from practise on ambulances?

I'd eliminate Intermediates from existence. But I'd also eliminate Basics from 911 ambulances.

I say get rid of all the ex-paramedics.

I didn't mean PCP's with that statement, like I said I have no clue about Canuck levels.

Having said that....

Scaramedics feelings are hurt. :crybaby:

Peace, snif,

Marty

:D

First Responder, then move everything down a notch, as in

Paid FF companies are trained with the EMT-B curriculum as first responders. They can board and collar, stop some bleeding, use an AED and ventilate until the ambulance arrives

Intermediate is the basic level to work on an ambulance

Paramedics on top, as always

Can't these procedures be done by a basic under the supervision of a paramedic?

No, there is no point in having someone who can do the skill but doesn't understand the principle of why the skill is needed, when it is needed and when it isn't, etc.

I voted for the removal of the EMT-Basic level. I've been pushing for Texas to stop EMT-Basic classes and start making the EMT-I the entry level (and up them to I99). From the aspect of 911, I would rather have an EMT-I then an EMT-B. The EMT-I can intubate and start IV's, which can be a big help when the calls get rough. There is a reason why a lot of services in the Houston area who can't hire enough paramedics are only hiring EMT-I's.

Even as a basic, I see way too many hot shot idiots on 911 performing at the basic level. Really, think about it, for the most part basic certification is no more than being rewarded for showing up to a class, reading at a 8th grade level, and passing some basic skills . I agree with Aysin and Dust if money is no object dual medic crews for 911! However for cost effectiveness in the current world. Basic drivers work OK too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.