Definition of a ParaGod

tHE truth be told .. i think we can all say ...........THE MORE WE KNOW >> THE LESS WE UNDERSTAND.......from BLS to ALS .....its that iceburg that generates to larger proportions once we as silly people think we finally * get it * it just gets more complicated >> so my questions is >>> is the glass half full or is it half empty ..and one final thought ........... if your taking care of the ABC's who cares what level you are,.. thats basic life support training ... shouldnt we all note that no matter where we are on the paragod mountain?

canadian spell check > yeah .....anyhow ...lol

coug

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your input on this and keeping the thread basically fight free. Here is the final product. hope you all enjoy and im sure some will be offended :twisted:

Race.

Paragod: A paramedic that knows everything there is to know about Para medicine. Enough to kill someone! Their ideas are ALWAYS right, mine/our's are always wrong. They're usually loud, overbearing individuals who never drive because their place is in the back of the ambulance even on a medic/medic unit.

This definition is from another paramedic. That in it is unique in that paramedic usually has a better understanding of how the world of emergency medicine works and will change the term ParaGod to God complex. That is not to say that as paramedics we do not know others that fit under the umbrella of ParaGod but also at different skill levels.

Paramedic is the highest level attainable in EMS that is without becoming a doctor. In most all-reputable programs an individual will spend up to 24 months in school and receive an associates degree from a college. These programs will run 1600 to 2000 clock hours and are always very intensive. Paramedics that graduate from these programs are not only trained to work in that local area, they are also trained to be able to work anywhere in the country.

Paramedics are taught Advanced Life Support procedures and pharmacological interventions. In some areas of the country the paramedic maybe allowed to perform some small surgical interventions like central line placements and crichothyrotomy, or surgical airway. These are just a couple items that are within the paramedic scope of practice as allowed by local medical direction. Given these newly acquired skills and knowledge it is not uncommon for a new paramedic to come out of school and in to a new job ready and more than willing to prove their new skills. These individuals are normal and are usually “ humbled “ by a bad call or a mistake in treatment or diagnosis. It is the paramedic that does not learn from these experiences that earns and is given the title “ParaGod”.

The EMT-Basic will spend up to six months in school learning the basic treatments and interventions allowed to staff a Basic Life Support ambulance. These things include advanced first aid and CPR, a bit more in depth anatomy and physiology with that main focus being trauma. It is not uncommon for a new basic to come out of school and want to do everything possible to impress the administration of their service as well as the instructors of the local paramedic program. It happens that basic level EMT’s tend to be harder to “ humble” than a paramedic due to the lesser skills involved and this drive to impress.

It is generally accecepted in the profession that ParaGods are born not made. In other words, a jerk is always going to be a Jerk. If you were a jerk going in to medic school you will be a jerk coming out of school no matter what level of education you have gained. EMT’s are as vulnerable to the bite of the of the ParaGod bug as a paramedic they just happen to be easier to ignore.

Thank you all for your input on this and keeping the thread basically fight free. Here is the final product. hope you all enjoy and im sure some will be offended :twisted:

Race.

Paragod: A paramedic that knows everything there is to know about Para medicine. Enough to kill someone! Their ideas are ALWAYS right, mine/our's are always wrong. They're usually loud, overbearing individuals who never drive because their place is in the back of the ambulance even on a medic/medic unit.

This definition is from another paramedic. That in it is unique in that paramedic usually has a better understanding of how the world of emergency medicine works and will change the term ParaGod to God complex. That is not to say that as paramedics we do not know others that fit under the umbrella of ParaGod but also at different skill levels.

Paramedic is the highest level attainable in EMS that is without becoming a doctor. In most all-reputable programs an individual will spend up to 24 months in school and receive an associates degree from a college. These programs will run 1600 to 2000 clock hours and are always very intensive. Paramedics that graduate from these programs are not only trained to work in that local area, they are also trained to be able to work anywhere in the country.

Paramedics are taught Advanced Life Support procedures and pharmacological interventions. In some areas of the country the paramedic maybe allowed to perform some small surgical interventions like central line placements and crichothyrotomy, or surgical airway. These are just a couple items that are within the paramedic scope of practice as allowed by local medical direction. Given these newly acquired skills and knowledge it is not uncommon for a new paramedic to come out of school and in to a new job ready and more than willing to prove their new skills. These individuals are normal and are usually “ humbled “ by a bad call or a mistake in treatment or diagnosis. It is the paramedic that does not learn from these experiences that earns and is given the title “ParaGod”.

The EMT-Basic will spend up to six months in school learning the basic treatments and interventions allowed to staff a Basic Life Support ambulance. These things include advanced first aid and CPR, a bit more in depth anatomy and physiology with that main focus being trauma. It is not uncommon for a new basic to come out of school and want to do everything possible to impress the administration of their service as well as the instructors of the local paramedic program. It happens that basic level EMT’s tend to be harder to “ humble” than a paramedic due to the lesser skills involved and this drive to impress.

It is generally accecepted in the profession that ParaGods are born not made. In other words, a jerk is always going to be a Jerk. If you were a jerk going in to medic school you will be a jerk coming out of school no matter what level of education you have gained. EMT’s are as vulnerable to the bite of the of the ParaGod bug as a paramedic they just happen to be easier to ignore.

LMFAO! B)

WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO!

Nice finished product....good job Race...

:wink: 8

Race.

Nicely done Race.... LMFAO..... :laughing3:

Good job! The only part that I have a dissenting viewpoint on is this statement:

They're usually loud, overbearing individuals who never drive because their place is in the back of the ambulance even on a medic/medic unit.

In my experience -- which certainly can vary greatly nationwide -- the Paragod usually refuses to work the patient unless he deems them serious enough to be worth his time. He wants to drive all the time. Especially if he can play with the lights and sirens, as they are an extension of his manhood. That means the EMT or junior medic is made to attend on all non-critical patients and is allowed to drive only when the Paragod finds a patient so critical (or hott) that he thinks they are worthy of his attention. In fact, what I have seen most of them do is drive to the scene, jump out and do the full history and assessment on the patient, then shove their EMT into the back with the patient while they drive to the hospital. Meanwhile, the EMT is stuck caring for and documenting a patient they never even evaluated.

That is my experience with a Paragod. Most of them prefer to work with EMT's instead of other medics because other medics are a threat to their superiority and can't be bossed around or bullshitted as easily. It is extremely uncommon for a Paragod to prefer working with other paramedics, although a lot of them still mouth off about how they hate EMT's.

Dammit Dust !!!! that was good .. why didn't state that earlier... I would have used it as well as Jakes definition. Thank Jake by the way. however i may just have to edit it and resubmit it.

I have worked with both of these types of EMT's ( this includes B's as well as P's) Jakes definition just happened to have fit the over all theme that all of you had set for the thread.

Thanks again to all of you who commented on the paper and sumitted your views for me. It was a great help to me.

Thank you yet again !!!

Race

Nate, Dustdevil can't be a Paragod, He didn't shave his head! j/k :lol:

In my opinion ( which with a $1.50 might get you a cup of coffee) RM, a Paragod as stated by our esteemed colleagues knows everything there is to know about paramedicine. Enough to kill someone! Their ideas are ALWAYS right, mine/our's are always wrong. They're usually loud, overbearing individuals who never drive because their place is in the back of the ambo :roll: even on a medic/medic unit.

Just for fun, we can't forget the shaven head, Oakley's, Star of life tattoo and their vanity plates on the POV which read " MEDICONE" 8) :lol:

I guess I'm showing some ignorance on this one...but what do shaved heads and oakleys have to do with being considered a paragod? I agree with the stupid vanity plates and the wacker tattoos but I'm a little puzzled on the rest. Maybe it's just an old joke that I haven't seen before. Anyway, just wondering.

I guess I'm showing some ignorance on this one...but what do shaved heads and oakleys have to do with being considered a paragod?

It's an inside joke. The original author of this topic, who we see in the chat room often, has a shaved head. Those who know that are just giving him a hard time. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.