King LT as a backup airway?

chbare

Does anybody have first hand experience using this airway as a backup/rescue device. My National Guard unit is looking at using this airway. We currently use the combitube. I have used the King LT on an airway simulator and found the device easy to insert and use, however, this is not even close to a real person. I have googled and found research on this device, and it seems to work pretty well in the controlled OR environment. From what I have found it seems to provide a better seal than the LMA. The manufacturer boasts a seal of 30 cm of H2O verses a seal of about 20 cm of H2O with the LMA. However, you know how the maker of a product likes to brag about their product being the latest and greatest gizmo. It looks like I will get a chance to use the King LT on cadavers next month at SLAM, but I was just curious if any one had any first hand experience with this device. A web site with allot of info about the device is, http://www.narescue.com. However, this company is also selling the device, so I tend to be a little cautious regarding the info they put out.

Thank you and Take Care,

chbare.

Never have used or seen that, looks very similar to combi-tube device. Although all esophageal occluded devices will be similar in design. We too are looking for a "back-up"airway device. The LMA has a great reputation of easy insertion; however as well as a reputation of dislodging itself quite easily.

R/r 911

Ridryder 911, we use the LMA in our ER as a backup and I have had pretty good results with it. Disclosure statement, I have not used the LMA many times. I think dislodging would be even more of a problem in the back of an ambulance or helicopter. The LMA is pretty easy to insert and it's about as "Murse" proof as you can get. I know allot of people and the studies indicate that one of the most common problems with the LMA is the lip flipping back during insertion. The most common problem I have encountered is air leaking around the seal into the esophagus during ventilation, especially on very large people or people who require high ventilatory pressures. Otherwise I like the LMA and actually carry a size 4 and size 5 LMA unique in an airway crash bag in addition to my combitube while on duty with the National Guard.

PRPGfirerescuetech, thank you for the link. This should be some good information.

Take care everybody,

chbare.

• 5 months later...
Does anybody have first hand experience using this airway as a backup/rescue device. My National Guard unit is looking at using this airway. We currently use the combitube. I have used the King LT on an airway simulator and found the device easy to insert and use, however, this is not even close to a real person. I have googled and found research on this device, and it seems to work pretty well in the controlled OR environment. From what I have found it seems to provide a better seal than the LMA. The manufacturer boasts a seal of 30 cm of H2O verses a seal of about 20 cm of H2O with the LMA. However, you know how the maker of a product likes to brag about their product being the latest and greatest gizmo. It looks like I will get a chance to use the King LT on cadavers next month at SLAM, but I was just curious if any one had any first hand experience with this device. A web site with allot of info about the device is, http://www.narescue.com. However, this company is also selling the device, so I tend to be a little cautious regarding the info they put out.

Thank you and Take Care,

chbare.

I guess I'm curious what the major problem is with the Combitube. Is this going to replace the combitube, or be an additional rescue airway? The King has the advantage of being a little smaller than the Combitude, and only requiring one syringe and one inflation instead of the two balloons the Combitube requires. It's not as established as a tool of choice in the failed airway, but that's because it's just not as common.

The major problem with the Combitube is the latex proximal cuff. The King LT uses a silicone cuff instead. The Combitube is also less likely to be placed without causing airway trauma due to the size and rigidity of the device. The King LT is much smaller and can be used to guide a bougie for ETT placement when the situation becomes necessary.

None of the alternative devices are without their flaws, but the King LT seems to be the best one so far.

• 2 months later...

what about the rusch easytube?

its latex free, and "Allows the use of fiber-optic devices or passage of suction catheters and tube exchangers through the second lumen when esophageal intubation is achieved"

http://www.hudsonrci.com/Products/product_...=&keywords=

http://www.remotemedical.com/Rusch-Easy-Tu...le-Lumen-Airway

http://www.buyemp.com/product/11229587.html

gonna see if my department will switch over to these.

great for basic first responders. basic places this device and ventilates, then when ALS arrives on scene they can switch to ETT.

Even better, see if they will switch over to paramedics! :lol:

its a VFD, and we do have medics, but have basics first respond alot of times.

and you medics need a backup also. not ALL of you are gods of medicine!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.