follow up question on ontario paramedic schools

Hey guys,

I was reading some of the comments with regards to which is the best paramedic school in Ontario. I also got in as well, and am having an EXTREMELY difficult time trying to decide where to go.

I've been accepted to:

Humber

Algonquin

Centennial

I'm not going to Centennial because from what I've heard, it's too political, and relies too much on theory rather than clinical. Humber has a pretty decent reputation, but Algonquin has been ranking #1 in the graduate testing for the past three years, so it comes down to those two choices.

I'd really appreciate some comments on which you think is a better school, provides great experience and whether you believe it all comes down to test results or school reputation when it comes to hiring.

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest. Centennial does have its politics- but what school doesnt? As far as theory vs practical time? Especially in second year during rideouts- I still think thats a priority in Centennials mind. There are the minimum hours to complete while riding out- Ive been told that some schools allow their students to stop riding out when they have completed their hours- we were told that unless we have class the next day- we <will> be out on the road with our crews regardless of how many hours we have done on top of what was expected.

If you find a perfect school- let me know- Id love to go there- but as far as I can tell, they all have issues...Anyways, that was my biased opinion, good luck in chosing a school.

Well location is certainly a factor. If you already live in either area (GTA or Ottawa) then you potentially save on rez/living expenses. If you don't live in either area, then do you want to live in Ottawa or Toronto for the better part of 2 years...

Humber - Still seems to be the most difficult school to get into (for whatever reason). Generally considered the "best" school (again, for whatever reason). I refuse to comment on current curriculum and what not because it seems to have changed a fair bit even since my short time away from there. They are also loosing a loooooooooooooooong time member of their faculty this year. Peace out Doug, maybe I'll swing by the retirement party...

Centennial - Link with U of T is pretty significant, should you decide to do a degree after the program (if you don't already have one). Ummmm ya, regarding politics, as SooC said every school has there winers and people who suck, people who threaten to "sue" because they failed, and people that stay on because the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Plus, as a female you will already have an advantage.... :lol::lol::P :wink:

With both the above schools - More than likely you will ride out in Toronto, so if that's a big deal to you then that is a factor to consider. Working in Toronto also you have an almost certain chance that you will be on a PCP/PCP car. IMHO that is a better preceptorship experience for a PCP student, over an ACP/PCP car. Humber overall is a much nicer campus. Ummmm, as for the whole theory vs. practical issue, I feel it is REVERSED...Humber = theory, Cent = practical. I know there was quite a bit of stuff that I covered in school (mainly ACP stuff) that my co-workers from Cent. never did.

Algonquin - It's in Ottawa, so I assume you will rideout with Ottawa EMS. Closer to Quebec so you can drink that crazy "Blue Dry" and stuff, crazy...Ummm, I can't comment on its education but a fair number of people came from Algonquin in the last few years and all are smart people. Also, you will very likely be starting pre-hospital IV's there. You will not be doing this in any service that you are riding out with from Humber or Cent. Algonquin is #1 in "graduate testing?" I don't know what that means...AEMCA passing rates? Who is saying that? It seems that almost every college is #1 in some sort of weirdo poll...

Fin.

I'm not going to Centennial because from what I've heard, it's too political, and relies too much on theory rather than clinical. Humber has a pretty decent reputation, but Algonquin has been ranking #1 in the graduate testing for the past three years, so it comes down to those two choices.

I am a Semester 2 student at Centennial and hate the politics (but I don't know how much worse it is than any other school). That being said, I do not think that there is too much theory at all... we definitely do a lot of practical stuff and are expected to spend a ton of time in lab practicing. Riding out in Toronto also sounds like it will be a definite plus going by what I've heard from the Semester 4 students.

Congrats on being accepted into all those programs!

Peace out Doug, maybe I'll swing by the retirement party...

Centennial - Link with U of T is pretty significant, should you decide to do a degree after the program (if you don't already have one). Ummmm ya, regarding politics, as SooC said every school has there winers and people who suck, people who threaten to "sue" because they failed, and people that stay on because the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Plus, as a female you will already have an advantage.... :lol::lol::P :wink:

First off i am glad to hear that Doug is finally hanging up the non-latex gloves. I hope the cirrhosis doesn't finish him of to quickly. All the best!

VS, How the f_ck do you figure that being a female gives you any advantage? You didn't honestly think I would let that comment slide did you?

Hammer,

Girls definately have an advantage cause we all sleep with our instructors- didnt you know that already?? Sheesh :roll: If not that, lets show a little cleavage and then they'll ignore the critical fail criteria in our botched scenerios...I knew this college thing wouldnt be as hard as I thought it would be- all ya need is a female form and a male instructor- what can ya say? 8)

Fingers crossed- if I sleep with all the male lab techs too- maybe I wont even have to do a final practical scenerio- sweet! Glad being female has its advantages :lol:

Interesting... personally, I went to Centennial. We had our problems with the school as you would anywhere, but I think we came out Okay. I certainly don't feel like I didn't learn all the matierial we are supposed to know.

As far as ride-outs... I know a lot of students think that riding out in Toronto is the thing to do. I was like that in first year as well. Then some things happened (TEMS FTO's began to refuse taking students, SARS, etc.) and I ended up riding out in another service. I had a great experience in the other service. I was at a station that was running 8-10 calls per shift on average, much shorter offload times. I was in an urban centre that also responded to rural areas, so we had a number of serious MVC's with some good trauma.

So just food for thought... Bigger (ie. Toronto) isn't necessarily better. I'm not saying it's not a good place to be a student, but in my experience I came to realize that I may have gotten more out of riding out where I did.

I may be a bit biased though... I'm now working for that service.

Cheers.

Hammer,

Girls definately have an advantage cause we all sleep with our instructors- didnt you know that already?? Sheesh :roll: If not that, lets show a little cleavage and then they'll ignore the critical fail criteria in our botched scenerios...I knew this college thing wouldnt be as hard as I thought it would be- all ya need is a female form and a male instructor- what can ya say? 8)

Fingers crossed- if I sleep with all the male lab techs too- maybe I wont even have to do a final practical scenerio- sweet! Glad being female has its advantages :D

I always knew that innocent little girl thing was an act with you. You big hoe bag SooC. :wink:

Thanks for your input everyone, keep them coming! I've yet to hear something from someone who went to Algonquin, but I'm intrigued by the comments on the Toronto schools.

Academics and experience are certainly factors, but I think I can conclude that the most important thing is how hot the instructors are if I'm to slut myself out to the faculty. Is there an oddball poll out there that rates the hotness factor of the paramedic faculties? Any recommendations SooC? :D:P