Question about RNs

IAmark

With a BSN, you can teach at a college level some courses, go into management, things like that, but most hospitals & other health facilities pay all their nurses at the same scale, except LPN's. Many RN I work with have higher level degrees in other fields, like Social work, Art History, myself included & went into nursing as a fullfilling way to do some good. And it's ALWAYS fun in the ED. :wink:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from a Uk point of view

you are unlikely to get beyond the first promotion level beyond entry level without a degree and increasingly it's hard to get to that first promtion levle without a degree, now virtually unknown to get a substantive Charge Nurse /Sister ( first line management) post without a degree

from a Uk point of view

you are unlikely to get beyond the first promotion level beyond entry level without a degree and increasingly it's hard to get to that first promtion levle without a degree, now virtually unknown to get a substantive Charge Nurse /Sister ( first line management) post without a degree

Certainly as we all now know that "Nursing management and scheduling essentials" obtained during that BSN program are critical to pt care provision..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Certainly as we all now know that "Nursing management and scheduling essentials" obtained during that BSN program are critical to pt care provision.....

Must be a Mass thing. I haven't seen any management courses in the BSN core in Texas. All the BSN level courses here cover very useful and practical subjects like advanced patient assessment, critical care, and patient education. So yes, at least down here, the BSN education is extremely applicable to nursing practise.

Apparently Mass (abbreviated because I have no farking idea how to spell it) nursing education is as bad as their medic education. :?

Must be a Mass thing. I haven't seen any management courses in the BSN core in Texas. All the BSN level courses here cover very useful and practical subjects like advanced patient assessment, critical care, and patient education. So yes, at least down here, the BSN education is extremely applicable to nursing practise.

Apparently Mass (abbreviated because I have no farking idea how to spell it) nursing education is as bad as their medic education. :?

Perhaps a New England thing as it's quite common for all of the programs up this way to have classes like, "Nursing admin, development, clinical business practices, etc.."

and "dust," we expect you to YELL...not SPELL... :wink: :lol: 8) :D

Out here,

ACE

Mine had advanced assessment as well, and research development. The main emphasis in research was patient outcome based research, both medical and nursing or both intertwined. Yes, there was some management such as critical thinking skills in the work place, human resource material, pratical issues, etc. The University has an outstanding business & H.R. degree programs, so the professors from that area taught instead of nursing professors.

The main emphasis on my B.S. was to prepare for graduate school. Scholastically, research, professionalism, and having thorough understanding of education. Mine was a RN to BSN, and you had to have at least 5 years clinical experience prior to admission. The average mean of my class was 12 years clinical experience. No there was not even 1 care plan, we went into depth in treatment regimes. Most of us had been in management level at one time or another, so they did not try to re-invent, but emphasized new material and managing, reimbursement issues, & regulations in the health care industry.

Be safe,

R/R 911

Dust, you forgot something....

...they get to put more initials after their name.

the easiest way to more letters is pick a degree with a nice long dshort version

like a Bachelor of Medical Sciences with Honours - BMedSci(hons) - the main advantage of the School of Nursing I attended being part of the faculty of medicine of the Uni ...

I got my BSN through a university second degree program. I already had a BA and an MEd so all I had to take were the nursing clinicals and classes. It took 16 months but they have increased the number of clinical days so that the course can now be completed in 12 months. My hospital pays the BSN's more by promoting them to a higher clinical ladder. The dispute between diploma/associate and BSN nurses has been ongoing for a very long time. The bottom line is you can't get very far in nursing without a BSN. Some people are OK with that while others are not.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

here's a Question while we are on a nursing tip

how many clinical hours are you required to do to register in the USA or canada in a pre-registration programme ( whether associates or bachelors)

UK ( and EU wide ) rules say 2300 hours of clinical exposure with minimums of expsoure to adult , mental ehalth and paeds areas regardless of final sbranch registration, as well as minmum expsoure to night working , as well as a variety of experience in differnt areas and providers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.